Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India - Star Alliance Announcement [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India - Star Alliance Announcement [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nbarve
Yesh - although I like Jet Airways, there is no way I am flying them until I can earn miles on a US carrier - their JP Miles or whatever is a stupid program
Domestic India flights on Jet Airways can be credited to a US carrier, namely Northwest Airlines.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbarve
Yesh - although I like Jet Airways, there is no way I am flying them until I can earn miles on a US carrier - their JP Miles or whatever is a stupid program
I thought you could earn miles on NW, which I see is in your profile?
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/earn/a...tml#jetairways

Earning/Redeeming Miles
All Jet Airways-operated flights with the exception of (in either direction): SIN-BOM; KUL-MAA; LHR-BOM, LHR-DEL; MAA-SIN; SIN-DEL; DEL-BKK; CCU-BKK.

Methinks the US routes will be added to the excluded list when they start up
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:46 pm

Wouldn't this mean that we finally get a daily *A flight LHR-JFK? Oh lordy!
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA-PLT CO BA UA
Originally Posted by UnitedFFinAsia
AI is definitely a 1 & Done Airline. Fly it once and you'll be done with it the rest of your life if you have other options.
-UFFA

LOL I made the mistake of flying AI in decemer RT JFK-DEL. Never again.
Kept meaning to write a trip report.
I don't see how they could join an alliance. It would take a major overhaul of this govt run airline.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I thought you could earn miles on NW, which I see is in your profile?
Only on domestic Indian flights (i.e., LHR to BOM doesn't work). And even then, those miles don't count towards elite status.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by gmailflyer
Having an interline agreement does not take away from the need for a Global Alliance. Global Alliance provides reciprocal status recognition and more importantly miles traveled on partners usually allow for status on your primary carrier. Interlining and loose partnerships do not allow that.

Jet will have to choose at some time (JAL took a long time and then jumped in). Maybe the time is not ready yet, but they'll have to choose.
I concur - I don't even try to earn miles with them....just sectors, so I fly the lowest fares...their miles are worth only half of what United or SQ would charge for reward flights!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:45 am
Original Poster

AI to join Star Alliance?

This rumor has been going on for quite some time now. Here is the latest from a not so well known newspaper- not sure if its true...
http://www.domain-b.com:80/companies..._alliance.html

Air India to join Star Alliance
9 August 2007

Air India (AI) is getting ready to join the Star Alliance, a club of 17 international airlines, by the end of this year. This will help increase its connectivity worldwide through code sharing.

Other members of Star Alliance include Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, US Airways, Air Canada and Air New Zealand, among others. The members collectively fly to 855 destinations in 155 countries.

"The heads of member airlines of the alliance will unanimously induct Air India in December," a civil aviation ministry official said.

Civil aviation minister Praful Patel had met Star Alliance CEO Jaan Albrecht on 7 August to discuss AI's joining the alliance.

Air India chairman and managing director V Thulasidas was to meet Albrecht today (8 August) to discuss the modalities of joining the league.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I have been asking this for quite time time *A has no NYC-LON routes, one which I tend to fly often. I can deal with the horrors of AI for 7hrs since their fares are often well below every other carrier on this route.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by sefrischling
I have been asking this for quite time time *A has no NYC-LON routes, one which I tend to fly often. I can deal with the horrors of AI for 7hrs since their fares are often well below every other carrier on this route.
Make it 15 hours+ sometimes....if they have to bring the aircraft down from DEL for the routing to LHR...or visa-versa...

Horror stories galore on AI...

Jet is the way to go for Star Alliance, but as soon as Jet decides on an alliance, I think I might be swayed away...and once "critical mass" is acheived by Jet for European routes...forget LH and FRA - crazy stuff there...

But Jet has to also modify their FF reward for miles program, which truly sucks, but then, they have more than *enough* FF'ers, and are watering the program down day-by-day, and *still* filling planes!

Low economy fares get hardly *any* miles....
Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
New Air India reportedly selects Star Alliance

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=10140
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I have been hearing this for a while now. And this article talks about AI choosing *A. How about the other way around? :-) AI is getting better every day and they have a very good inflight product(barring their problems which we all are aware of) - but I wouldn't fly them solely because of the mileage issue - its a waste of money and let's not even get into AI's FFP - its a joke.

Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
Even if *A members vote AI into the alliance, it will be long before AI is actually inducted.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Wink Jet and Star Alliance

Star Alliance is far from product motivated. Right now all major alliances need to break into India big time as it is the fastest growing market in aviation. Singapore Airlines however, in its typical arrogant manner is refusing to co-operate with 9W, and the Star in Star Alliance blocking it, there is no way Jet will be allowed in. Obviously they are threatened - 9W is the future of air travel. Too bad - it's their loss as far as I see it. With a population of over a billion people and one of the fastest growing economies who needs arrogant SQ with their 4million people telling us in India what we can and can't have, and what groups we can and can't join.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by avm2806
Star Alliance is far from product motivated. Right now all major alliances need to break into India big time as it is the fastest growing market in aviation. Singapore Airlines however, in its typical arrogant manner is refusing to co-operate with 9W, and the Star in Star Alliance blocking it, there is no way Jet will be allowed in. Obviously they are threatened - 9W is the future of air travel. Too bad - it's their loss as far as I see it. With a population of over a billion people and one of the fastest growing economies who needs arrogant SQ with their 4million people telling us in India what we can and can't have, and what groups we can and can't join.
Well stated - see this thread as well!: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746251

And welcome to FT, avm2806! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.