Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India - Star Alliance Announcement [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India - Star Alliance Announcement [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Exclamation

This airline has not turned around in 60 years I don't expect it to ever become an SQ overnight. It will never get there, so sorry but thats a fact. I hope that it is not allowed to be a STAR member, it does not deserve to be!!!

And for those who feel this is bashing just do not want to face up to the facts.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:18 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
umm, the one part i havent cracked so far and it may be my ignorance, is if 9w has expressed interest publicly in joining *A or any other alliance. It may be the writing on the wall to choose an alliance, yes, and we all think that ways, but does 9w think the same. I know I ask this question in a thread on AI, but the reason for this is because 9w being a replacement to AI in *A looks like a given for all of us on our wishlist, but I don't know the airline's view on this yet
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by A2A
umm, the one part i havent cracked so far and it may be my ignorance, is if 9w has expressed interest publicly in joining *A or any other alliance. It may be the writing on the wall to choose an alliance, yes, and we all think that ways, but does 9w think the same. I know I ask this question in a thread on AI, but the reason for this is because 9w being a replacement to AI in *A looks like a given for all of us on our wishlist, but I don't know the airline's view on this yet
I also don't know whether 9W has expressed any interest in joining one or another alliance. I took LAX's claim that 9W is inclined to join One World at face value. The claim isn't far fetched though. There is a greater affinity for U.K. among older Indians than among younger Indians.

I disagree with your statement that preference of 9W over AI joining the *A is a given. It's blatantly a wrong premise even among Indian members of * alliance. It's an issue of significance largely for Indian members, probably only for Indian members.

What is more universal thinking is that the alliance to which we belong bags a major Indian carrier soon. People having preference for a specific airline joining their alliance are subsets of this larger group.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
I dont understand the expression ""whining"" in the context of this forum. Its not a policy foruim so wishes and opinions are just fine. I dont think anyone expects this bulletin board to have any influence on management or indeed on anything except on our shared understanding of the parts of the aviation world that interest us.

As to the argument if you dont like AI joining *A then dont fly AI when it joins *A Im afraid it does not sound valid to me. If AI fails to join *A and 9W gets in then i have 2 excellent Indian carriers in the two top alliances. Thats what i would like to see happen. As I think would some others.

I would not fly AI in its present state whether it joins *A or not. Indeed I feel its my patriotic duty not to since they make losses on every passenger they fly ( and with their current financials and operational makeup will conitnue to do so until some structural change happens) so I can fdo my bit to stem the constant public susbidies being swallowed by this horror story.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
This airline has not turned around in 60 years I don't expect it to ever become an SQ overnight. It will never get there, so sorry but thats a fact. I hope that it is not allowed to be a STAR member, it does not deserve to be!!!

And for those who feel this is bashing just do not want to face up to the facts.
This is an example of uninformed or biased hyperbolae. Sixty years ago, Gov of India had only a minority stake in the airline.
It would be more than two more years (counting from 60 years ago) before the Govt of India would take the majority stake. These are the facts.
You hope that it's not allowed to join *alliance is a wish.
The rest of your post is opinion. I didn't see any facts in your post.
What would you do if AI joins *Alliance?
If AI joins my alliance, I would fly AI. I have flown AI in the past. If it doesn't, it won't be my preference, but I still might fly AI, i it suited my requires at the time.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:39 pm
A2A

Originally Posted by Yaatri

I disagree with your statement that preference of 9W over AI joining the *A is a given. It's blatantly a wrong premise even among Indian members of * alliance. It's an issue of significance largely for Indian members, probably only for Indian members.
I say its a given because with IT taking up on OW, the only choices are between AI and 9w, unless of course the 6e and other LCCs join the fray too!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by A2A
I say its a given because with IT taking up on OW, the only choices are between AI and 9w, unless of course the 6e and other LCCs join the fray too!
I understand that. My disagreement is with the phrase "all" in the following post.
Originally Posted by A2A
I would have had no disagreement if you had written "some" in place of "all".
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:48 pm
A2A

I understand that. My disagreement is with the phrase "all" in the following post.

I would have had no disagreement if you had written "some" in place of "all".
^
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This is an example of uninformed or biased hyperbolae. Sixty years ago, Gov of India had only a minority stake in the airline.
It would be more than two more years (counting from 60 years ago) before the Govt of India would take the majority stake. These are the facts.
You hope that it's not allowed to join *alliance is a wish.
The rest of your post is opinion. I didn't see any facts in your post.
What would you do if AI joins *Alliance?
If AI joins my alliance, I would fly AI. I have flown AI in the past. If it doesn't, it won't be my preference, but I still might fly AI, i it suited my requires at the time.
You are just as uninformed my dear, the govt of India can have as much or as little stake in any thing and voila outcomes a disaster. No I do not wish, if I had the voting power I would be exercisng it by putting my foot down and saying NO NO NO, Kebi Nehi!!!!!!!!
Good for you, you keep flying AI and savour every minute of your YAATRA.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Thread Closed

This thread has strayed all over the place (despite my requests). Hence, I am closing it.

I have no objection if someone starts a new thread if/when they have relevant content.

Babu
Moderator, Airlines of India

Last edited by Babu; Jun 6, 2011 at 3:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.