Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI 173 to SFO diverts to Magadan (GDX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI 173 to SFO diverts to Magadan (GDX)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Angry AI 173 to SFO diverts to Magadan (GDX)

AI flies through Russian airspace, the last country you should be anywhere close if you are a US citizen.

If you think you are just going to be transiting at 35,000': https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-18138373.php
When an Air India flight from Delhi to San Francisco had to make an emergency landing in Russia after experiencing engine problems, one East Bay man found himself stranded for hours, sleeping alongside hundreds of other passengers on the floor of a local school turned into a makeshift shelter.

“Everything is calm here,” Prajwal Chaulagain of Hayward wrote in a series of text messages to The Chronicle, describing conditions after the flight with at least 276 passengers and 16 crew members was diverted to the Sokol Airport in Magadan Oblast, a mountainous city in the far east region of Russia.

Last edited by malgudi; Jun 7, 2023 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yup - as US citizen there is no way I would overfly Russia, China or Iran right now. Ukraine and Belarus are off limits as well.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yup - as US citizen there is no way I would overfly Russia, China or Iran right now. Ukraine and Belarus are off limits as well.
Given current conditions, you should be quite safe overflying Russia on an Indian carrier. I do not think the Russians would risk Indian ire by messing with USC passengers on an Indian flight diverted to Russia.

Avoiding flying over China is a just silly. US carriers fly to & from China, not to mention the thousands of US citizens who routinely visit, live in, and work in China. As well as the thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of Chinese who visit, live-in, work in, and study in the US.
Victor88 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:32 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
The rescue flight, AI173 is airborne now and headed eastward for SFO: https://www.flightradar24.com/AIC173D/309f83be
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
More coverage: https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/06/07...esume-thursday
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The entire Ukrainian airspace is closed for commercial traffic since February 2022. The eastern Ukraine was closed in 2013/14 after the MH 777 was shot down.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are probably thousands of US citizens overflying the airspace of Russia, of China and/or of Iran daily on regularly scheduled commercial flights. While I wouldn’t go out of my way to overfly these countries, plenty of US citizens are flying Asian and European carriers over one or more of those countries without incident and do so because they won’t go out of their way to make sure to avoid overflying them.

An AI flight over Russia connecting DEL/BOM with SFO isn’t for me, but that’s not because of concerns about being diverted to land in them.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Glad this worked out without too much of a pain. I would go out of my way to avoid flying over war zones and I’d hesitate flying over countries where I, as a US citizen, could potentially have trouble were there to be an emergency landing. Russia is easily one of them.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, UA
According to Expedia and Orbitz, there are 15 hotels near the airport in that Russian Town where the flight was diverted. Assuming 60% occupancy there were still lots of rooms for the diverted flight passengers!

Last edited by Narrow Seat; Jun 8, 2023 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
This is a rare event and AI has handled it pretty well. The passengers are now back in SFO. Russia is not going bother AI passengers and also of ME3 which routinely fly over Russia for flights especially to Pacific coast cities, IAH and DFW. I will not hesitate to fly AI at all, when compared to UA or AA or even BA, LH or AF or KL, they have better service, yes the overall product still needs improvement, but they are getting there.
vishalgupta22 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat
According to Expedia and Orbitz, there are 15 hotels near the airport in that Russian Town where the flight was diverted. Assuming 60% occupancy there were still lots of rooms for the diverted flight passengers!
I think this may easily be related to Visa issue. Russia may have allocated this school as guarded shelter kind of things to avoid sleeping people of airport floor.

I have seen similar scenarios in case of irrops in Europe. We had LH fights BLR-FRA-SFO and BLR-SFO got delayed causing everyone to be stranded at FRA for about 20 hours. Anyone who had passport which allowed Visa free entry to Germany or Schengen visa were provided hotels and others (mostly Indian citizens) were literally provided blankets to sleep at the airport (they had a few portable beds setup in one corner at the terminal but not enough for everyone). Food was provided as boarding card credit (I think 20€ / 15€ per meal for J/Y)

I had Schengen visa so I went out but it must have been terrible for Indians stuck at the airport (especially seniors & children)

The same way, I guess Russian immigration won't clear the passengers to enter Russia so couldn't be sent to hotels)
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I think this may easily be related to Visa issue
This. GDX is a domestic airport with no border control facilities and staff.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I had Schengen visa so I went out but it must have been terrible for Indians stuck at the airport (especially seniors & children)
This is one of the main reasons why I would never connect in a country which I cannot enter in the event one was to get stranded there during transit.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
The aircraft with issue - VT-ALH is back to BOM yesterday so seemed like a minor problem.. It's scheduled for a domestic turn BOM-DEL-BOM tomorrow..
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
This is one of the main reasons why I would never connect in a country which I cannot enter in the event one was to get stranded there during transit.
Compared to the experiences that Indians (Indian citizens with no Schengen visas) in Schengen countries whenever there was an overnight stop required due to delays, the Russian experience appears to have been better. Considering that Magadan is an isolated town in Siberia, AI and Russian authorities have handled this quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.