Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

D-D transit in India: General process?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Will have multiple domestic connection coming up in a few weeks through different airports, such as DEL, BOM, CCU etc.

What is the general transit process when it comes to domestic flights? Is it set up like in the US where departing/arriving passengers are not segregated, meaning you disembark into the departure area avoiding another security check?

For instance at CCU I am looking at a 1 hour connection on separate tickets, but with no bags. Is that enough time?

Are all airports set up in such a way you have to go through security again? Are some airports better at domestic transit than others?

Appreciate all kind of information!
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:49 pm

I have never done a domestic transfer. But a 1-hour transfer on separate tickets is crazy talk even at the world's best organized airport or on the world's best airline (neither of which exist in India). Are you aware that flights don't always reach the gate on schedule? Even 2 or 3 hours is just asking for trouble.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Apr 11, 2023 at 8:01 pm
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
In India, you have to go through security again for domestic transfers.. Exception - If you are on a single ticket and the transfer time left is less than 40 mins, then in some cases airline arranges for aircraft door to aircraft door transfers (i've had this in DEL with 9W for SXR-DEL-BLR flight on multiple occasions)

Few things to note:
- Larger airports (DEL/BOM/BLR) have multiple terminals physically separated which may involve a land side bus/taxi ride - additional time to be kept for same if different tickets
- Most larger airports (DEL/BOM/BLR) have a small transfer security area before baggage claim if your flight is leaving same terminal that lets you avoid joining general crowd security..
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
DEL/BOM/BLR have transit security which can also get very busy due to limited checkpoints, not entirely sure about CCU. 1 hour on separate tickets is difficult unless your inbound flight is bang on time.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 1:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a way to transit in CCU. You have to go down to baggage claim and find that one elevator that will take you up to departure security. This is guarded by a CISF jawan who will check things over and over trying to match you with one of her/his lists. You are better off going out normally and queing with the regular lines.

Domestic transit requires rescreening for now. The authorities are working on a domestic transit concept in the major hubs to find a way to eliminate this though.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
All domestic transits in India require you to go through security again & I would not recommend a 1 hour transit on separate tickets in CCU.

Last edited by Keyser; Apr 13, 2023 at 6:41 am
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I sixth what everyone else has said so far.

1 hour connection on separate tickets anywhere in the world is crazy. It's a bigger challenge in India because you have to hope for on time arrivals & no waiting in the plane for gate availability & speedy exit from inbound plane (and no bus gates) & no long queues for security checks for outbound (you have to go through security again always even if you go through the transit/connections area).

Pray to your gods that your second flight is suitably delayed!
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
To add to what everyone said, if you are arriving on Indigo bus gate is almost a given.

one thing that could help you bigtime is buy preferred seating as forward as possible, will save atleast 10-15 mins
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done a D-D transfer in Srinagar(Leh-Srinagar-Mumbai) last year with 1 hour time. - separate tickets/airline. I had hand luggage only and security check in Srinagar was busy and detailed as expected. I still managed to get ~10 minutes in the (very sad) lounge there. It was not possible to get the connecting flight BP in Leh. it was stressful but I took the risk as flight tickets from IXL-BOM were close to 40K last summer and this came up to 12k
Old Apr 14, 2023, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank for the replies.

Based on the information given I have adjusted some of my itineraries.

Also noted that many flights are chronically delayed, and many times by several hours, especially true for Spicejet and Go First, what is going on?

Furthermore, I have some flights with same flights numbers on both sectors with a really short connection, around 30min. I take it these are through flights and I will stay onboard during the stopover?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by B747forever
Thank for the replies. Based on the information given I have adjusted some of my itineraries.
Smart move.

Also noted that many flights are chronically delayed, and many times by several hours, especially true for Spicejet and Go First, what is going on?
SG & G8 are facing huge financial problems. As a spiraling result of which (plans grounded/repossessed, crew shortage etc.) they're facing massive scheduling issues. Hence the several hours/days delays. Avoid them as much as you can - especially if your trip is many months away and/or to minor airports.

Furthermore, I have some flights with same flights numbers on both sectors with a really short connection, around 30min. I take it these are through flights and I will stay onboard during the stopover?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.