Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI dom-int at DEL: report that luggage is not transferred

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

A poster on Skyscrapercity reports having to collect and recheck baggage when transferring from a domestic AI flight to an international AI flight:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...post-180495512

Can this be true? It was not true last time I made such a connection, but everything changes. I understand about incoming international flights, but this is about leaving India.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Heh... out of CCU I would most attribute it to incompetent staff!
B747-437B likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Haven't done this recently but I have never encountered this problem in the past. If on one reservation then the bags are checked through.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 4:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Sorry that is BS, AI will accept and check thru luggage if its on the same ticket. Works like a charm in CCU. What they won't do is interline it with separate tickets.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sorry that is BS, AI will accept and check thru luggage if its on the same ticket. Works like a charm in CCU. What they won't do is interline it with separate tickets.
July advisory changed that:

https://travelobiz.com/air-india-iss...in-of-baggage/
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapatelrocky
This has no relevance to my question in the original post, which oliver2002 was replying to.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Travelling from BOM to DEL in Y and then onwards to International in J 4 hrs later, all on AI. The domestic is a separate ticket from the international leg. Will AI let me check the baggage through from BOM to my international destination? (also *A/Gold)

thanks
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Travelling from BOM to DEL in Y and then onwards to International in J 4 hrs later, all on AI. The domestic is a separate ticket from the international leg. Will AI let me check the baggage through from BOM to my international destination? (also *A/Gold)

thanks
Your question was answered in post#4 by Oliver2002, above.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Your question was answered in post#4 by Oliver2002, above.
No it wasn't, interlining is transfer between Airlines. I am asking about through check out intra line on separate tickets
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
No it wasn't, interlining is transfer between Airlines. I am asking about through check out intra line on separate tickets
BOM will be able to do it. Easy. And be able to issue you your DEL - XXX BP as well.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: AI Flying Returns Gold
I have done several flights recently with AI, CCU-DEL-IAD and CCU-BOM-JFK. AI checked the luggage all the way through but I still had to wait in long lines at outgoing immigration at DEL and BOM. I did have to collect luggage at JFK and re-check it for the Delta flight back to DC, but re-checking a transfer bag at JFK is very easy.
Old May 7, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AI Flying Returns Gold
Originally Posted by GoraDesi
I have done several flights recently with AI, CCU-DEL-IAD and CCU-BOM-JFK. AI checked the luggage all the way through but I still had to wait in long lines at outgoing immigration at DEL and BOM. I did have to collect luggage at JFK and re-check it for the Delta flight back to DC, but re-checking a transfer bag at JFK is very easy.
Follow-up to above--last week I was on AI 770, CCU-DEL, transferring to AI 103, DEL-IAD. No problems at all with the bag transfer, I handed over the luggage at CCU domestic and didn't see them again until I was at IAD 20 hours later. AI also expedited us through the immigration line at DEL because 770 was very late getting back to DEL.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:24 am

Also following up - BOM-DEL-TLV
At Mumbai, business check-in, no problem checking my bag through, it did take 10 minutes and 3 staff members - don't know what they did, but the boarding pass (and the bag tag) had the PNR from the domestic flight on it - weird. I suspect they added the international flight to the domestic PNR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.