Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI Domestic to International transfer in Delhi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI Domestic to International transfer in Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:35 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by surram
Different question: I have about 5 hours layover at ORD but wanted to go standby on an earlier ORD-IAH (this leg is on a separate UA 016 etix; the BLR-DEL-ORD is on a separate UA 016 eTix). But with the checked bags can I go standby? If so, can I request with UA at DEL or ORD?
1) early morning arrivals mean very less staff at check-in desk next to bag drop after customs.. if you are not first 2-3 in line, will be difficult..
2) staff accepting thru checked bags cannot process check-in/standby
3) since you have separate tickets, suggest not doing thru check and doing standby thru United app while inflight or landing at check-in desk
4) since separate ticket - see if you can change ticket on ord-Iah to earlier for free? UA doesn’t have change fee - only fare difference..
surram likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The intl transfer point was jam packed last night with many upset pax. It seems thru checked pax from UK and AI connecting to AF LH UA etc are not allowed to use it even if they have onward boarding passes issued by AI/UK. I was on separate tickets so didn't even bother

kapil dev likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The intl transfer point was jam packed last night with many upset pax. It seems thru checked pax from UK and AI connecting to AF LH UA etc are not allowed to use it even if they have onward boarding passes issued by AI/UK. I was on separate tickets so didn't even bother

post pandemic - haven’t tried any of the 3-4 times (it was closed in august).. much faster/easier to exit and go up..
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:03 pm

I read on another thread that there's no longer any international transit at any Indian airport. I'm looking to travel either BOM or DEL to LHR in a couple of weeks.

Travel date is fixed and can only find AI from BOM to LHR for £1200+ in Y.

I can find UK from DEL to LHR for around £600. I'm in Gujarat and UK is only flying AMD-DEL on either 1h25m layover in DEL (too short) or 14h+ which I'm not keen on either.

I can fly AI / Spicejet or Indigo from AMD/BDQ/STV though.

I assume I can just book both as separate tickets and just exit/re-enter at DEL? Or would I have issues with the quarantine or anything else?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by neverenoughmiles
I read on another thread that there's no longer any international transit at any Indian airport. I'm looking to travel either BOM or DEL to LHR in a couple of weeks.

Travel date is fixed and can only find AI from BOM to LHR for £1200+ in Y.

I can find UK from DEL to LHR for around £600. I'm in Gujarat and UK is only flying AMD-DEL on either 1h25m layover in DEL (too short) or 14h+ which I'm not keen on either.

I can fly AI / Spicejet or Indigo from AMD/BDQ/STV though.

I assume I can just book both as separate tickets and just exit/re-enter at DEL? Or would I have issues with the quarantine or anything else?
The international transit rule you’re referring to only applies to foreigners who want to transit through India. That is - say an American want’s to do CMB - BOM - JFK, or a German wants to do MUC - DEL - BKK. That kind of transit is not allowed.

Domestic to international transit is allowed in India in all airports for Indians as well as foreigners. Only thing is that depending on your transit airport… if you have to step out of the airport (traveling on say SG to DEL and UK onward to LHR) then you will have to comply with that city’s Covid rules (RT-PCR tests and all, quarentine rules obviously won’t apply).
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
you will have to comply with that city’s Covid rules (RT-PCR tests and all, quarentine rules obviously won’t apply).
I'll be travelling to UK so will need RT-PCR before departure so I should be fine with that. Quarantine rules obviously won't apply but is there anything else that needs to be done for the domestic leg? Air Suvidha etc?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by neverenoughmiles
I'll be travelling to UK so will need RT-PCR before departure so I should be fine with that. Quarantine rules obviously won't apply but is there anything else that needs to be done for the domestic leg? Air Suvidha etc?
Air Suvidha is for international travel only. You'll need your RT-PCR & Aarogya Setu for arrival into DEL + potential random test at DEL.

Rules keep changing so make sure you track that through the 6E and SG websites.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:41 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Anyone connected in DEL recently International to Domestic? We are planning to arrive in Del @ (9:25 AM (Air Canada) in January 22. Is it safe to book (separate ticket) a flight to HYD after 12:30 PM? Not sure what the current Covid arrival formalities are!
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
Anyone connected in DEL recently International to Domestic? We are planning to arrive in Del @ (9:25 AM (Air Canada) in January 22. Is it safe to book (separate ticket) a flight to HYD after 12:30 PM? Not sure what the current Covid arrival formalities are!
Someone I know transiting US-DEL-BLR two weeks ago (Nov 4) encountered lengthy lines at immigration, customs, security. This was in sharp contrast to my transit on the same route in early Aug when I breezed through in about 30m from landing to exiting the secure area for the domestic transfer desk. We both transited between Midnight and 0530 am local time.

Covid formalities - see oliver2002 's report on this other thread. That is consistent with my friend's experience transiting on Nov 4 night.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I came in the night of the 13th early 14th and the Indian and Foreigner immigration lines were nearly empty (ok 3-4 people in queue). It took me 60 min from deplaning to be out the customs doors. Most of the time was spent waiting for my luggage and the Delhi DF trying to locate the bag with my preordered things.

Checkin with AI was a total zoo as they used the same counters for all their flights. I waited for about 30-45 min at the C/F/*G counter becuase there was extensive fish market style haggling going on by YVR pax trying to get their excess bagggage loaded without payment. I had 4h till my flight so enjoyed the show.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:07 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Thanks, Legionnaire and Oliver2002. Your information is very helpful.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
International arrivals at Delhi between 2130 and 2300 local time are reporting between 2-3 hours to clear immigration, customs, collect bags, schlep them to the transfer desk and drop off. This week.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:25 pm

AI checkin in DEL is a major cluster the lines on both sides of the checkin island D were crazy.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:19 am

AI to VS via Del

Flown CJB-LHR with AI/VS connecting at DEL. Though it was a single ticket, AI check-in at CJB refused to through check-in baggage to LHR. Went through the struggle of collecting and rechecking at DEL with VS. AI said, they through check only for star carriers even on single ticket! Any recent experience?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:06 pm

Baggage question STV-SFO

Hello

flying from Surat-SFO and just wondering if AIr India will check bags all they way without me picking it up in Delhi. My layover in Delhi is 15 hours and all in one ticket. Thanks in advance

vk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.