Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Interlining bags on separate *A tickets; BOM I-D, D-I transit Q's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

I am looking into purchase of a roundtrip USA-India ticket on Turkish Airlines (TK)., Washington to Mumbai or Ahmedabad, with a return being Hyderabad to Norfolk

On my return journey, I can only have 3 segments due to ticketing limitations, so it would be BOM-IST-IAD-ORF, and I would purchase a separate AI ticket for HYD-BOM.

Does AI have a policy of allowing through checking across separate tickets, i.e., check in the bags at HYD and collect them in the US?
And more to the point, since my TK *G baggage allowance would be 3 pieces of 23kg, would AI honor that in HYD, as opposed to my 45kg *G allowance for domestic AI flights?

On a separate issue, I have not traveled through BOM in nearly a decade, so I have no idea how an I-D or D-I transit currently works, and how it differs if you have a through ticket or 2 separate ones. Is there a dedicated BOM transit thread for general descriptions or guidance for this out there?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI unfortunately is hit and miss when it comes to check baggage thru, most likely they will refuse at HYD. Also you will only get your domestic allowance, the TK ticket will not apply.

In BOM you just collect your intl baggage, pass customs and hand your baggage to AI or UK who have a checkin desk for transit pax there. Then you take your boarding pass and go upstairs to domestic security. On the way back you have to take your bags from domestic arrival to TK checkin and check in the bags there.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
AI was able to check baggage through on different tickets on 3 different trips over the last 6 months. You just have to request them while checking-in. Ask for the supervisor if they don't. On one occasion, they were ready to do it but my middle name was missing on my AI flight and they had difficulties getting it done.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I assume your outbound is IAD-IST-BOM/AMD-HYD and inbound is BOM-IST-IAD-ORF. And you have a separate HYD-BOM ticket.

In theory AI does allow interlining with TK so they can check the bags through. In practice it will depend on the competence of AI staff at HYD. Generally the supervisors are competent enough to do this. What's more complicated about your routing is that you're doing 4 segments on your return and a baggage tag can only print 3. So they have to be smart enough to know how to print 2 baggage tags. Also you need to ensure that you're within weight allowance for both tickets.

It might not be worth the hassle to make them do this because I doubt AI HYD will be able to generate your TK BP. For that you'll anyway have to go to the TK check-in desk in BOM (online BPs not allowed for INT travel).

AI won't honor your TK allowance. Also I don't think AI has a special luggage rate for onward international pax. So depending on costs it might be cheaper to buy a J ticket for your HYD-BOM leg.

Transit is very simple. On arrival you'll do your immigration & customs in BOM and follow the signs for domestic transit after customs (assuming you're not flying 6E on the BOM-HYD leg which will require a airport change). On return if they can't through check/generate BP you'll have to exit the airport building at BOM cross over to the other side of the main arrivals waiting area and take the lift up to the departure level. If they could do both follow the signs for transit pax after deplaning.

Plenty of good info here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...thread-65.html
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my wife just did this last week & again last night with ai (del-sfo-del) & ua (sfo-las-sfo)....separate tickets on both airlines but she managed to check in her luggage on ai from del to las & then on her return journey last night she checked in her luggage with ua at las all the way to del....
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Thank you all for your responses, and the link for the BOM thread. I'm dealing with a lot of moving parts, so cities in India aren't fully decided yet, other than the return will be from HYD.

To explain my issue: As a *G, I will have a baggage allowance on TK of 3 x 23kg which I will fully need on my return, AND I need to get to ORF (3-hour solo nighttime drive from IAD after arrival would simply not be safe, and I must get back that night), so my TK return flight must originate in BOM to keep to 3 segments. Hence the question regarding baggage through-check since I'll need a separate HYD-BOM ticket.

On an AI domestic HYD-BOM ticket, I would get a 45 kg baggage allowance (25 + 20 more for *G), so I'm looking at a possible worst case 24kg excess baggage, which would come to INR 12,000 (500 per kg), assuming that excess baggage is based only on weight, and having 3 pieces is immaterial. A J ticket wouldn't be cost-effective, since it would only get me an extra 10 kg allowance for a INR10,000 price differential.

Sounds like I should plan on paying 12000 excess baggage and expecting to reclaim and recheck in BOM, and any through-checking or higher bag allowance would be based on goodwill, luck, or karma. I just hope TK checkin would be open soon after my arrival into BOM so I can check in and get to the lounge for the 6-hour transit time.

I don't know if my outbound will be to BOM, AMD, HYD, or JGA. Things were looking good for doing IAD-IST-BOM-JGA on a single ticket, but suddenly yesterday the price jumped from USD 1000 to 4000 by adding the JGA segment (it's a glitch since I can buy a separate BOM-JGA ticket for under INR8000 but don't know if it'll be fixed before I have to buy my ticket in the next day or so).
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
You can enter the departure area of the airport only 4 hours prior. If you arrive in BOM with 6 hours to spare either use the arrivals lounge (free with PP) or hang around the arrivals food court area till T-4 and then head to the departure area.

1K to 4K ticket cost increase isn't necessarily a pricing error.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Y

1K to 4K ticket cost increase isn't necessarily a pricing error.
That's USD, not INR. And the spike is apparently only for one day, 15 Feb. Price is back to normal on 14 and 16. And you can buy a semi-flex ticket for the same BOM-JGA flight directly from AI for about INR8000.
I called TK directly to see how it would price for them, they came back with the $4000 price, but also said there appears to be a technical error and they couldn't confirm or ticket it. So I'll wait another day to see if it gets fixed.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Thank you all for your responses, and the link for the BOM thread. I'm dealing with a lot of moving parts, so cities in India aren't fully decided yet, other than the return will be from HYD.

To explain my issue: As a *G, I will have a baggage allowance on TK of 3 x 23kg which I will fully need on my return, AND I need to get to ORF (3-hour solo nighttime drive from IAD after arrival would simply not be safe, and I must get back that night), so my TK return flight must originate in BOM to keep to 3 segments. Hence the question regarding baggage through-check since I'll need a separate HYD-BOM ticket.

On an AI domestic HYD-BOM ticket, I would get a 45 kg baggage allowance (25 + 20 more for *G), so I'm looking at a possible worst case 24kg excess baggage, which would come to INR 12,000 (500 per kg), assuming that excess baggage is based only on weight, and having 3 pieces is immaterial. A J ticket wouldn't be cost-effective, since it would only get me an extra 10 kg allowance for a INR10,000 price differential.

Sounds like I should plan on paying 12000 excess baggage and expecting to reclaim and recheck in BOM, and any through-checking or higher bag allowance would be based on goodwill, luck, or karma. I just hope TK checkin would be open soon after my arrival into BOM so I can check in and get to the lounge for the 6-hour transit time.

I don't know if my outbound will be to BOM, AMD, HYD, or JGA. Things were looking good for doing IAD-IST-BOM-JGA on a single ticket, but suddenly yesterday the price jumped from USD 1000 to 4000 by adding the JGA segment (it's a glitch since I can buy a separate BOM-JGA ticket for under INR8000 but don't know if it'll be fixed before I have to buy my ticket in the next day or so).
You have an option of prepaying for excess baggage. The link is https://flightservices.airindia.in/W...k&p=/01AIXBO2/
I have negotiated at the check in counter by upgrading to business on BOM-BLR flight and in return letting me check-in an additional bag for free (the cost of upgrading was lesser than the cost of excess baggage)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.