YYZ Boondoggle with Jet

Old Feb 3, 19, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
YYZ Boondoggle with Jet

I am travelling to AMS today on a ticket on Jet paper that involved a stop in YYZ as my first leg was on AC (though I'm not sure why it wasn't DL since they're JV partners). Even though my bag was tagged through, I had to clear Canada customs, claim my bag, take a train to Terminal 3, and re-check with Jet.

Does anyone know how YYZ does not have an airside terminal transfer and requires a luggage reclaim even for an interlined bag? I don't mind clearing customs, but it was all a pain and having to re-clear security was annoying.
Old Feb 3, 19, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by danimuhl View Post
...Does anyone know how YYZ does not have an airside terminal transfer and requires a luggage reclaim even for an interlined bag? I don't mind clearing customs, but it was all a pain and having to re-clear security was annoying.
This has nothing to do with Jet Airways. It is a question about YYZ. What you described is standard procedure at YYZ when arriving at terminal 1 and departing from terminal 3.

I don't know why there is no airside transfer in this case, but most US airports don't have airside intl-intl transfer either, so it is not something a US resident can reasonably complain about, even if you don't get to experience it normally. And those airports across the world that do allow intl-intl transfers without passport control or re-checking bags still require re-clearing security. US dom-dom transfers are the exception, so this sounds like a very US-centric complaint.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Feb 3, 19 at 5:05 pm
Old Feb 3, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
This is not a 9W issue at all.

It’s a US & Canada issue. Both countries make you go through customs and immigration and require you to have a transit visa (or in some cases ETA or similar documents)while transiting. They don’t have airside transit. I think Canada has a handful or exceptions but the US has 0 exceptions for customs/immigration while transiting.

Being on any flight that landed in T3 would still make you do the same. Be glad you qualified for not having to apply for a transit visa as most people are required to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've faced this issue with other airlines while transitting in yyz so i can concur that this has nothing to do with 9w....
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Not a Jet Airways issue.

Search this Thread