Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Ticket prices and traffic must be way up on 9W dominated hubs like BOM DEL ?
On some routes yes like BOM - DEL etc. Surprisingly on the BOM - CCU route where 9W used to fly some 8 or 9 pairs the ticket prices haven't changed. UK has taken over some of those routes but still.

Apparently now the govt. is saying that they are keeping a close watch on flight prices. But yes things will be more expensive now.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
9W seems to be flying another day. They've dropped their demand from 1000 CR to 400 CR from the banks. The banks still haven't decided if it's worth paying that much to keep them alive.

I don't know how they're flying tomorrow other than by not paying anyone anything I guess.

Exim bank has recalled their entire 2000 CR loan. They guaranteed the original Citibank US loan. So now 9W will have to give up 10 77Ws to them!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
EVERYWHERE - it's *insane*!
Some exceptions. DEL-SXR is cheap, but the government that tried to prop up 9W and failed on that front has had success in failing SXR in such a way that I would expect flights to SXR to be cheap.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
9W seems to be flying another day. They've dropped their demand from 1000 CR to 400 CR from the banks. The banks still haven't decided if it's worth paying that much to keep them alive.

I don't know how they're flying tomorrow other than by not paying anyone anything I guess.

Exim bank has recalled their entire 2000 CR loan. They guaranteed the original Citibank US loan. So now 9W will have to give up 10 77Ws to them!
If so, then they will have only ten aircraft to fly, if they don't need any maintenance, parts etc. Do the pilots carry cash to by AvGas ? !
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Got this email from JP.
Jet Privilege Pvt. Ltd. is a separate, independent entity part of the Etihad Aviation Group formed with the sole purpose to market, develop and grow JetPrivilege – an internationally acclaimed award-winning loyalty and rewards programme. It's our foremost responsibility to safeguard your faith & would like to assure you that your JPMiles are safe and that we are committed to fulfilling your aspirations.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Got this email from JP.
I don't trust Etihad to be incentivized to protect all the value of JP miles.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In the scheme of things JP miles holders may not have large amount of miles. Redemption are at a ridiculous rate......besides if they can be used on Etihad when THEY want to get rid of the miles thru redemption on EY.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
If so, then they will have only ten aircraft to fly, if they don't need any maintenance, parts etc. Do the pilots carry cash to by AvGas ? !
It's not that simple. 9W loses in the end because the less aircraft they have the less market price they can command. The potential new investors (and I still doubt there are any really serious ones) will see there is no way to make money and pay off a $1.2 bil loan by flying 5-7 planes domestic.

And while the pilots are not swiping their cards to pay for fuel 9W is having to pay up first daily before IOC is filling up the tanks.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:07 am

Reminds me of the story of AB & TopBonus where once again EY where 75% shareholders. How did that end?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:53 am
Suspended

Reminds me of the story of AB & TopBonus where once again EY where 75% shareholders. How did that end?
It will be interesting to see if, upon shut-down of 9W, 9W program elites get any elite status match opportunities using their 9W elite status. I don't recall EY giving AB elites an automatic EY status match due to the collapse of AB.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG One
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Got this email from JP.
EY Customer Service on Twitter says to me that my EY Awards tickets for flying in June booked using JP Miles are as of now ok to fly.

Rest is in the hands of the gods, I guess. Sigh.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:38 am

It will be interesting to see if, upon shut-down of 9W, 9W program elites get any elite status match opportunities using their 9W elite status. I don't recall EY giving AB elites an automatic EY status match due to the collapse of AB.
No they didn’t. TopBonus had just before going down done a very aggressive status matching campaign giving OWE status if I recall to almost anyone. The only thing they allowed when AB & TopBonus sank was only Y redemption on EK for a few months at a slightly lower than EK’s disgraceful rates.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:15 am

RIP 9W.

They stopped flying tonight. They say they have temporarily suspended operations but it looks like the end.

The banks have refused to release 400CR requested by them to carry on operations without additional collaterals.

The firms that submitted EoIs have till May 10 to submit binding bids. What they’re bidding for now I don’t know. They have no assets, no routes and come 10 May probably no license to fly either and over $1 bil debt.

We will miss you 9W. If only Goyal hadn’t been such a headstrong @$$ till the end and sold of his shares earlier... well there might be a few more “if onlys” but that was the last reasonable one.
2sk21 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:37 am

RIP 9W.

They stopped flying tonight. They say they have temporarily suspended operations but it looks like the end.

The banks have refused to release 400CR requested by them to carry on operations without additional collaterals.

The firms that submitted EoIs have till May 10 to submit binding bids. What they’re bidding for now I don’t know. They have no assets, no routes and come 10 May probably no license to fly either and over $1 bil debt.

We will miss you 9W. If only Goyal hadn’t been such a headstrong @$$ till the end and sold of his shares earlier... well there might be a few more “if onlys” but that was the last reasonable one.
This I don't get. On one hand the lessors are de-registering their planes and leasing them back to another companies, the pilots are leaving for another jobs, probably same for cabin crew and another staff, but then they say this is temporary. I don't see how the new buyer can just restart the operations like nothing happened. Whoever steps in, will have to do a gradual ramp up. And any whiff of funding, wouldn't the existing creditors be all over it ? Unless they go the bankruptcy route and state off with a cleanish slate
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:44 am

I don’t know if there are legal and technical ramifications to “temporarily suspended” however they certainly can’t say they’ve shut shop and demand investors come in and buy them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.