Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India check-in deadline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Air India check-in deadline

I'm flying out of BOM tonight (31DEC) just after midnight on Air India. I had planned to arrive at the airport around 10pm, but just received a mail from AI saying that I need to check-in "at least 4 hours prior" to avoid "last minute terminal congestion".

1) Will I even be allowed into the terminal if I arrive so early?
2) Are they enforcing a 4 hour check-in cutoff deadline or is that just a guideline? I have already OLCI but need to pick up boarding passes at airport.
3) Is AI still using the GVK Lounge for *G in Economy? Last time I flew AI international out of BOM in April that is what I got an invite for but I've heard that *G are now being sent to the horrible Loyalty Lounge. instead.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
not sure about the lounge but there is no need to arrive that early....2 hours would be sufficient....
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I'm flying out of BOM tonight (31DEC) just after midnight on Air India. I had planned to arrive at the airport around 10pm, but just received a mail from AI saying that I need to check-in "at least 4 hours prior" to avoid "last minute terminal congestion".

1) Will I even be allowed into the terminal if I arrive so early?
2) Are they enforcing a 4 hour check-in cutoff deadline or is that just a guideline? I have already OLCI but need to pick up boarding passes at airport.
3) Is AI still using the GVK Lounge for *G in Economy? Last time I flew AI international out of BOM in April that is what I got an invite for but I've heard that *G are now being sent to the horrible Loyalty Lounge. instead.
I wouldn’t take that too seriously. Though I do like to arrive around 3 hours prior to departure because the security and immigration queues can be really really long during those late evening hours. This also gives me enough time to enjoy the GVK lounge.

To answer your questions:
1) You will be allowed into the terminal 4 hours before your flight.
2) You can’t do OLCI and get a BP for an international flight. You will have to go to the AI counter. The 4 hour thing is more of an advisory guideline rather than a cut-off.
3) Haven’t travelled AI in the last couple of months but would be really surprised if they moved from the GVK lounge (which is pretty damn good) to the Loyalty Lounge (which is aweful). Please let us know if they’ve done that.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The loyalty lounge is their overflow lounge: Mumbai - Air India
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Arrived at the airport around 2230 in the end. There were long lines at the Economy Class checkin but the Business/Star Gold line took all of 3 minutes to process us. Immigration/security done in 15 minutes and at the GVK East Lounge now on the Wifi and having a snack while we kill another hour before boarding. Lounge is emptier than usual.
deovrat likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Arrived at the airport around 2230 in the end. There were long lines at the Economy Class checkin but the Business/Star Gold line took all of 3 minutes to process us. Immigration/security done in 15 minutes and at the GVK East Lounge now on the Wifi and having a snack while we kill another hour before boarding. Lounge is emptier than usual.
You’re lucky it wasn’t the usual busy evening at the airport. Glad to know AI hasn’t shifted out of the GVK lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.