Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Indian carriers extending free additional baggage for those with international ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indian carriers extending free additional baggage for those with international ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
What is the free luggage allowance is I buy a ticket for a Jet Airways flight on jet Airways web site for Bangalore to Managlore? Is it 23kgs because it is a "dollar fare" and not a "rupee fare"?
Go to Jet Airways website, use the baggage allowance calculator. At the bottom, there's a footnote indicating that if a domestic Jet Airways is booked in US/Canada, allowance is 1 bag/23 kgs. If ticket is booked in UK, allowance is 2 bags/23kgs each.

Someone needs to validate, but I think best approach is to use U.K. Website to book your ticket (using VPN). Not sure if U.K. Website allows using U.S credit card etc.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Go to Jet Airways website, use the baggage allowance calculator. At the bottom, there's a footnote indicating that if a domestic Jet Airways is booked in US/Canada, allowance is 1 bag/23 kgs. If ticket is booked in UK, allowance is 2 bags/23kgs each.

Someone needs to validate, but I think best approach is to use U.K. Website to book your ticket (using VPN). Not sure if U.K. Website allows using U.S credit card etc.
Thank you.

Unfortunately, to get the 2 "free" baggage allowance, one needs to book in a higher fare class for which the fare is far more expensive!

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Oct 8, 2017 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Thank you.

Unfortunately, to get the 2 "free" baggage allowance, one needs to book in a higher fare class for which the fare is far more expensive!
Still far cheaper than paying for a 2nd bag weighing 23kg. I'm comparing DEL-IXC route. If you are flying USA-DEL-IXC with 2 bags, it's a no-brainer to book eligible fare class to get 2 bags.

* also, check from U.K. Website. Eligible fare class has to be booked from U.K. Website and its only 25 pounds more.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

I purchased my ticked using Chase Ultimate Reward points. It procures the equivalency of Jet Airways "dollar" fare which means that checked bag of 23 Kgs (not just 15Kgs) is free.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:22 pm

I purchased my ticked using Chase Ultimate Reward points. It procures the equivalency of Jet Airways "dollar" fare which means that checked bag of 23 Kgs (not just 15Kgs) is free.
If it is single PNR with flight originating in US, bagagge allowance of originating carrier will apply for the entire roundtrip ticket at the minimum (Jet can let you have additional allowance if that is standard for Jet in that calss for that segment)

For example if you do JFK-(AA)-LHR-(9W)-BOM-(9W)-DOH-(QR)-JFK in business, your allowance as per USDOT is 2 bags for the entire trip. But Jet will allow 3 bags on BOM-DOH portion as it is standard for them to do so and since they through check to JFK, QR's policy will not come into picture.

Over the years Jet has toyed around with the challenge of limiting domestic bag allowance vs practicality of connecting international pax while at the same time encouraging sirport staff to gouge intl pax for baggage fees wherever they can get away with. There wasa time (several years ago) when the fare was based on IP address location. That does not seem to be case any more.

Also, if originating segment is on Jet, it is very easy to make a booking and see the baggage allowance in the ticket confirmation (As per Jet website, there is no penalty for booking cancelled in 24 hours)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Question Vistara "Extra Baggage Allowance for International Flyers" for Star Gold?

Hi all, if I am flying international premium economy and have 2 bags 23kg included and +1 bag 23kg with Star Alliance Gold with A3, does that mean Vistara will give me 2 bags 23kg or 3 bags 23kg? Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Firstly the airline you're flying needs to be an interline partner with Vistara - https://www.airvistara.com/trip/extra-baggage-allowance

In your case, if you fly PE/Biz with Vistara you will be allowed 2 x 23kg over and above your standard allowance.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by somethinpositiv
Hi all, if I am flying international premium economy and have 2 bags 23kg included and +1 bag 23kg with Star Alliance Gold with A3, does that mean Vistara will give me 2 bags 23kg or 3 bags 23kg? Thanks!
Your A3 *G additional baggage allowance won’t help you here. You’ll only be allowed the printed standard baggage allowance of the INTL leg provided you meet all the other criteria.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Anish
Firstly the airline you're flying needs to be an interline partner with Vistara - https://www.airvistara.com/trip/extra-baggage-allowance

In your case, if you fly PE/Biz with Vistara you will be allowed 2 x 23kg over and above your standard allowance.
This is great. I didn't realize any Indian carrier gave extra luggage allowance to passengers connecting to international flights on Other Airlines within 24 hours. Kudos Vistara.

If I understand correctly, flying Vistara DEL to AMD in PE, to connect to my SQ flight in J (booked separately), will allow me the SQ J baggage allowance (higher of the two) upto the UK limit of 2 x 23 Kgs? Their website says:

If connection to / from international flight on two separate ticket within 24 hours of the Vistara flight:
Passengers travelling on Vistara, to and from international destinations with our interline partners/other airlines on separate tickets with different ticket numbers are entitled to maximum of total 23 kg per passenger for Economy cabin except if booking made in conjunction with Vistara ticket on Economy Lite fare. If passenger has booked an Economy Lite fare, the baggage allowance will be as per grid i.e. total 15 kg, 1 pc only.

If travelling in Premium Economy, Vistara will honour the higher baggage allowance between the allowance mentioned on the international ticket and Vistara ticket, up to a maximum of 2 check-in bags of 23 kg each. Passenger will be required to present a copy of their international ticket and boarding pass for verification at the time of check-in for their Vistara flight.

Am I correct? I worry lately that I am missing something when I find something that belies my expectations. Also age.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Yes and much much more since UK & SQ are best buds!

If you’re a KF EG/PPS - an additional 10kg luggage allowance (I assume it would be on top of the 2x23kgs), mileage credit to KF, access to Vistara’s lounge in DEL - I don’t think they serve booze there and would prefer the SQ lounge anyways (not open 24/7 though).

While those are KF elite benefits you might get them anyways since you’re flying SQ J on the same day even on separate tickets. You should ask for those benefits and of course let us know how it goes.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yes and much much more since UK & SQ are best buds!

If you’re a KF EG/PPS - an additional 10kg luggage allowance (I assume it would be on top of the 2x23kgs), mileage credit to KF, access to Vistara’s lounge in DEL - I don’t think they serve booze there and would prefer the SQ lounge anyways (not open 24/7 though).

While those are KF elite benefits you might get them anyways since you’re flying SQ J on the same day even on separate tickets. You should ask for those benefits and of course let us know how it goes.
Fantastic! No status with SQ, but will ask if my SQ J allows any benefits at DEL.

I shall post my experience.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Anish

This isn't clear it says that the airline is interline/codeshare/other airline

Other airline to me reads as any airline
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
They added the "/other airline" bit after I made the post. It now does look like any airline works.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
no one besides vistara....
This is an old comment. What is Vistara's current policy for international travelers connecting to a Indian domestic flight (separate tickets)?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by rj123456
This is an old comment. What is Vistara's current policy for international travelers connecting to a Indian domestic flight (separate tickets)?
They no longer offer this. International baggage allowance is now only on single tickets: https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/vis...gage-allowance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.