Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown Air India? Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Just looking to get some thoughts from anyone who has flown on Air India... Saw a Flight from BKK-BOM-EWR. I normally fly United but AI in in Star Alliance so I took a look.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:52 am

Personally think it's one of the world's worst airlines. Don't do it!!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Fly4Golf.

As this is specific to an airline program, we'll relocate your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by beckoa
Welcome to Flyertalk Fly4Golf.

As this is specific to an airline program, we'll relocate your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Thanks. I couldn't find the Indian Airlines folder when I posted.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Love it! 10 X Better than any American flag carrier!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
I personally fly AI a substantial time every year domestically, and a couple times internationally. I am quite pleased with AI, all things considered.

I may get flamed for this, but I think AI will be better on the BOM-EWR route than UA, in every class.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
AI isn't half bad...they are not the best but they certainly are not bad, especially for the prices they offer.

I avoid UA intentionally as I have had bad experinces with them in the past so I am a bit biased in this regard but again, have had no major issues with AI.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:14 am

AI vs UA

If you are traveling in Economy then each and every airline of any country is going to be uncomfortable for such a long journey.

Having said that both UA and AII are good options when everything goes smoothly.

If you are vegeterian or person from East Asia or South Asia, chances are that you are usually going to be treated much more reasonablly in AI than UA. (though not always)

But biggest problem with UA is that they do not have any spare equpment in India (in fact to entire sub-continent, they have only 2 flights per day). So if something goes wrong, AI might be (equipment logistics point of view) in better shape than UA to handle it.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: KFEG, UK Silver
BOM-EWR leg on UA is much more reliable compared to AI when it comes to on-time performance/cancellation. AI will give you much generous baggage allowance compared to UA in Economy with no status.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by joscofra
Personally think it's one of the world's worst airlines. Don't do it!!
its not as bad as one makes it out to be....much better than pretty much every carrier in the u.s. in terms of on board service....
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by deovrat
I may get flamed for this, but I think AI will be better on the BOM-EWR route than UA, in every class.
having flown both, albeit in business, i agree with you....
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
having flown both, albeit in business, i agree with you....
have flown both on this segment, in economy. Always uncomfortable with both due to very long flights but AI wins the comparision by HUGE margin
(food, FA attitude, INTL-to-DOM connection ease, etc.)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: Blasé..
Can't agree more with Deovrat/Keyser - Took around 50+ DOM/INT flights with AI this year and they are way better than any American career sans Alaska. Also, doing bimonthly AMD-EWR (via BOM) and it's light years better than UA!

I would say go ahead and give it a shot - as even BKK-BOM would be a Dreamliner which would be good too!

Last edited by Bioflyer; Nov 12, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Flew AI SIN-BOM-EWR in J last year. Hadn't flown on AI for a number of years.

Flights were on time, seat comfort perfectly fine and food was excellent. Connection at BOM was quite smooth, and the terminal at EWR was very quiet when I arrived - immigration was very fast.

I would not hesitate to fly with AI again.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by desi
But biggest problem with UA is that they do not have any spare equpment in India (in fact to entire sub-continent, they have only 2 flights per day). So if something goes wrong, AI might be (equipment logistics point of view) in better shape than UA to handle it.
Why should this be different for the two airlines? AI doesn't have any spare equipment in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.