Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid airport upgrades on AI

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

AI seems to have an official scheme of selling space available upgrades at the airport. Does anyone know, whether mileage accrual (on partner airlines like LH, UA etc) is based on the original ticketed booking class or on some higher class if the purchased upgrade is applied?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Starwood Gold

Saw this today at ICN. Was 160,000 KRW (~$145) to HKG or 250,000 KRW (~$225) to DEL. These were economy to biz upgrades. Was told HKG to DEL was now full in biz though. I believe the T&C said you only get mileage credit for your originally ticketed class.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TinDrum
Does anyone know, whether mileage accrual (on partner airlines like LH, UA etc) is based on the original ticketed booking class or on some higher class if the purchased upgrade is applied?
original ticketed booking class....
Old May 29, 2015, 2:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The airport schemes just get you a better seat in the DCS, no change to the underlying ticket. The nice thing is the rates are fixed and known upfront:

For domestic flights it really only works on the former IC operated routes, not the AI international domestic flights
http://www.airindia.com/domestic-airport-upgrades.htm

For international flights you can even get an EMD in advance:
http://www.airindia.com/airport_upgrades.htm

What really reissues your ticket in a higher booking class is Optiontowns UTo, which AI participates in.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Heres what you do: at check-in ask the counter lady for an upgrade. If she denies a regular free upgrade, ask for a paid upgrade. Rates are fixed and listed on a website. But she doesnt process the upgrade. She will direct you to the ticket counter where you have to go and process the upgrade by paying the fee, then trot back to do the check in!

The problem is that the counter doesnt always process the upgrade! It all depends on the whims and fancies of the people at the counter. The ones at DEL T3 are possibly the worst, followed by the CCU terminal. At times I have been told Business is sold out on the flight (only to find 6 out 8 seats vacant on boarding). Atleast twice was told paid upgrades are possible only if tickets are booked on V class and above!

Only had this last problem (fare class) at DEL T3. Have managed to pay and upgrade a dozen times at other stations including BLR, MAA, VGA etc.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For domestic flights it really only works on the former IC operated routes, not the AI international domestic flights
I once did an upgrade on AI international domestic flight JED-HYD-BOM. I upgraded the HYD-BOM sector at airport for 2 pax, flight was operated by a 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.