Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Could sale of Alcohol in the skies help IBAs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium

I know it's hypothetical but I was wondering if Indian govt / DGCA allows airlines to sell alcohol in the skies, will that help airlines make some extra money (and save themselves from getting lost in the pages of history).

I am assuming alcohol is high margin and would also help them sell some high margin finger food with it.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its not a good idea at all....the airlines might be able to make some money but i feel indians in general are amongst the worst in the world when it comes to holding your liquor....
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser
its not a good idea at all....the airlines might be able to make some money but i feel indians in general are amongst the worst in the world when it comes to holding your liquor....
Oh really!!!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The dumbest comment I have seen on flyertalk in 2014.

Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I know it's hypothetical but I was wondering if Indian govt / DGCA allows airlines to sell alcohol in the skies, will that help airlines make some extra money (and save themselves from getting lost in the pages of history).

I am assuming alcohol is high margin and would also help them sell some high margin finger food with it.
I am not legally sound so may be a bit off. I think it's as good idea but the length of flights in India are relatively short and thus service on board can be a challenge.

On many occasions I have seen that the crew was barely able to cover all passengers wanting to buy food.

Unless they bring in onboard CC acceptance, it's hard to execute
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Why would you say so?

Morever, Indians also travel international, if the crew knows how to handle them on international segments, they sure know how to manage them on domestic flights.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Maybe I'm getting too old, but I can remember the times when Damania and Co started flying domestic in India around 1994 and of course offered (free) booze as an incentive to book them instead of AI/IC.

Horrid. The amount of liquor consumed my middle class 'gentlemen' on my CCU-BOM hops was worse than that what I observed on DXB/DOH-BOM (workers returning home after 6 months in the desert without any alcohol). Not only that, the behaviour of pax deteriorated rapidly inflight. I certainly understand why the DGCA banned the consumption of alcohol shortly after that.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by spc354
Oh really!!!
really....
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yatindalvi
The dumbest comment I have seen on flyertalk in 2014.

i could say the same for your comment....its my opinion & i'm entitled to it....you can disagree with my statement but calling it dumb just shows your ignorance & rotten attitude when it comes to others opinions....shame on you....
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you say so?

Morever, Indians also travel international, if the crew knows how to handle them on international segments, they sure know how to manage them on domestic flights.
see oliver2002's post above....i remember that time as well....

i've traveled quite a bit around the world & i stick to my statement that in general we indians are among the worst of the lot in this regard....this includes international segments as well & i have lost count of the number of times i have seen alcohol being denied to people who have had too much....

i'm sure there are many of us who know when to stop & that probably includes people like spc354 & yatindalvi, who seem to have taken great offense to my post, but in general people in india are not good with alcohol....i've said it before & i'll say it again, no matter how 'dumb' yatindalvi feels the comment is....

Last edited by Keyser; Dec 19, 2014 at 7:06 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:02 am

i've traveled quite a bit around the world & i stick to my statement that in generals we indians are among the worst of the lot in this regard....this includes international segments as well & i have lost count of the number of times i have seen alcohol being denied to people who have had too much....

i'm sure there are many of us who know when to stop & that probably includes people like spc354 & yatindalvi, who seem to have taken great offense to my post, but in general people in india are not good with alcohol....i've said it before & i'll say it again, no matter how 'dumb' yatindalvi feels the comment is....
I would agree over here.. I have seen some very weird instances. Sometimes some people do not know when to stop. However, would also add that I have also seen the same with Non-Indians.

With proper set of rules, I guess it will cause no harm.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

i've traveled quite a bit around the world & i stick to my statement that in general we indians are among the worst of the lot in this regard....this includes international segments as well & i have lost count of the number of times i have seen alcohol being denied to people who have had too much....

I get your point and understand that Liquor can get ugly at times, but if the crews are well trained, they know when to deny liquor to people. They already know how to handle it on international segments so it should be manageable.

I don't feel your comment is dumb or anything, I think that's a fair assessment and no one can deny that Alcohol can get ugly. This said, alcohol can get ugly anywhere, not just in air.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
A couple of days back I saw an instance of a passanger getting tipsy at the newly opened Irish pub at CCU airport. Jet the flying carrier refused to fly him at the boarding gate, and there was a scene created by him where he was blabbering of being in his senses when he clearly wasn't. This can be an isolated instance but such is not warranted especially after someone is on board.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
A couple of days back I saw an instance of a passanger getting tipsy at the newly opened Irish pub at CCU airport. Jet the flying carrier refused to fly him at the boarding gate, and there was a scene created by him where he was blabbering of being in his senses when he clearly wasn't. This can be an isolated instance but such is not warranted especially after someone is on board.
I hear you and totally agree that this isn't warranted, but, how is it any different on a domestic flight compared to international flight.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get your point and understand that Liquor can get ugly at times, but if the crews are well trained, they know when to deny liquor to people. They already know how to handle it on international segments so it should be manageable.
my concern is not how well trained the crew is but with the way people in india treat the crew....i have seen enough instances of people thinking they are far superior & treating crew as if their sole purpose is to serve them just because they have bought a ticket....they don't listen to the crew & a prime example is the chaos while boarding a flight or getting up & trying to rush out of the flight the moment it lands....

last week on a bbi-del flight i saw a passenger yell at the stewardess because they ran out of non-veg options by the time the food cart reached his seat....a couple of months ago on a bom-del flight a passenger was giving the flight attendant a piece of his mind because he was having a headache & his preferred pain killer was not on board....what do you think people like this will do if they are denied alcohol????

a friend of mine is an air hostess with ai & she has told me countless horror stories of indian passengers being drunk on her flights....i have personally seen many instances of these passengers who have no control over their alcohol....

i'm not saying stuff like this does not happen outside india....it certainly does....but i have seen enough instances of indian passengers to convince myself that it would be a bad idea to serve alcohol on domestic flights....

I don't feel your comment is dumb or anything, I think that's a fair assessment and no one can deny that Alcohol can get ugly.
try explaining that to yatindalvi....

This said, alcohol can get ugly anywhere, not just in air.
the chances of it getting ugly in a small confined space are much more....

Last edited by Keyser; Dec 19, 2014 at 9:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.