Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

If you have an international connection and excess baggage, then choose Spicejet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you have an international connection and excess baggage, then choose Spicejet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold

Both Spicejet and Indigo have baggage limit of 15kgs, but Spicejet honors your international baggage conditions on your domestic connections where as Indigo charges a whopping Rs.250/Kg at checkin

I would prefer/suggest Spicejet over Indigo for international transfers with excess baggage.

Ps: The last time I flew Jet, they made me shell for extra baggage as well.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:18 am

Are you sure? AFAIK, SpiceJet would give a higher baggage allowance provided you are flying only their metal, so SG connections would also get the same allowance.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by k819
Both Spicejet and Indigo have baggage limit of 15kgs, but Spicejet honors your international baggage conditions on your domestic connections where as Indigo charges a whopping Rs.250/Kg at checkin

I would prefer/suggest Spicejet over Indigo for international transfers with excess baggage.

Ps: The last time I flew Jet, they made me shell for extra baggage as well.
was your domestic & international journeys both on spicejet????if not then was your entire ticket booked under one pnr????

anything else & i don't think spicejet will honour your international allowance on your domestic flight....
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus

Earlier the spicejet website terms did show the extra allowance. Cannot find the same now, I believe that have also stopped the benefit.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
I'm not sure that's true anymore OP. I think the "best" option now in terms of having the most baggage allowance is actually AI. Even as a general member of their FFP, you get an additional 10 kg allowance.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
My PNR is on different airlines. Yes, Spice doesn't have it on their terms, but they are still honoring it! At least they did it for me
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:22 am

The baggage allowance is totally dependent on the check in agent. I have had 4-5 kilo waived and sometimes even 1 kilo without hand baggage is stressed upon. It all depends on how the check in agent woke up that morning.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
The baggage allowance is totally dependent on the check in agent. I have had 4-5 kilo waived and sometimes even 1 kilo without hand baggage is stressed upon. It all depends on how the check in agent woke up that morning.
The airline that charges the most for any baggage on international connections is Indigo. Unless faced with no other choice, personally avoid Indigo if have to connect to an international flight. Yes, depending upon the agent, one does get 4-5 kilos waived, buy hey, that is not enough, especially when one is traveling to the USA as one does get 2 free checked bags each weighing approx 23-25 kgs, from India to USA.

Jet is no better, than Indigo.

AI is probably the best!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by dd1612
The airline that charges the most for any baggage on international connections is Indigo. Unless faced with no other choice, personally avoid Indigo if have to connect to an international flight. Yes, depending upon the agent, one does get 4-5 kilos waived, buy hey, that is not enough, especially when one is traveling to the USA as one does get 2 free checked bags each weighing approx 23-25 kgs, from India to USA.

Jet is no better, than Indigo.

AI is probably the best!
Agreed regarding the LCC like indigo for travel to USA. Only benefit with the LCC is that you can pre purchase the extra luggage and will not have to deal with the agent during check in. AI does have the better baggage allowance among all airlines, but it depends on the agent if they would allow you an extra bag of 23 kilos, even when you have a international ticket. (I would be surprised if they did allow that, however I have no first hand experience.)

I would rather go with pre paid luggage on an LCC than deal with an AI agent , if the luggage is a bag more, for something in the range of 3-7 kilos I may risk AI.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:44 am

Passenger travelling on SpiceJet domestic Sector and having connection on another airline to/from an international destination, Free Baggage Allowance as permitted by the International Carrier will be given maximum upto 23 Kg (30 Kg for bookings done prior to April 16, 2014), provided:
a. Free Baggage Allowance must be reflected on the itinerary of International Flight.
b. The above allowance would be applicable for Adult/Child bookings. Infant bookings does not qualify for the allowance.
c. Baggage allowance is applicable only if the connecting flight is within 24hours
Any Baggage weight exceeding 23 Kg (30 Kg for bookings done prior to April 16, 2014) would be charged the normal applicable excess baggage charges.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I guess that perk is gone now. Here is the information from Spicejet.com:

How much baggage can I check-in if I have connecting international flight?

Passenger travelling on SpiceJet domestic Sector and having connection on another airline to/from an international destination, are allowed Free Baggage Allowance of 15 Kgs per passenger per flight. (W.e.f 4th Nov,2014)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.