Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is AI in Biz and First?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:12 am
FF
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
How bad is AI in Biz and First?

I may have to go to India (from London) for a client and they want to me fly AI, and I'd normally use BA. But they're paying and AI is less expensive - but not so much cheaper that we can't fund the difference ourselves if AI really is very poor quality. I'll have to do a Red Eye and work when I get there, so ability to sleep as well as possible is quite important. Most of the comments here on the board seem to be quite negative about AI...

BTW, 9W works out more expensive than BA 'cos of the BA Luxury Sale over the period I'll be travelling.

Any thoughts / advice / experience that might be helpful? Many thanks!

Last edited by FF; Nov 6, 2013 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
ai can be hit & miss but in general their business & first is pretty decent....i end up taking about half a dozen ai long haul flights in business every year....their service on ground is terrible but once you get on the flight then its quite comfortable....
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Lots of 'em!
Agree with Keyser...AI in first/biz can be pretty good, particularly on long-haul. As far as ground service goes, it *can* get terrible, but the word I prefer is actually VARIABLE!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by maem
As far as ground service goes, it *can* get terrible, but the word I prefer is actually VARIABLE!
in my many many years of traveling on ai, i have yet to come across good ground service....it ranges from non-existent to terrible....
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
With that kind of question as a thread starter, I can deduce that you will find it the most traumatic journey of your life.

lets take it a step back:

AI have a solid to execellent F seat and hardware.
AI have great Indian catering (although presentation can be improved)
AI have a decent wine list (ok no Krug but a decent choice of champers)
Put all three together and add in the red eye factor, you will get a very good sleep.

therefore, unless you are forking the price if the ticket in its entirety or you need OW miles, AI should be an adequate choice.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Don't mean to dampen your spirit but this is what my pillow on a domestic AI business flight looked like today..

https://twitter.com/anishsood/status...136000/photo/1
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Avoid at all costs, your flight will be delayed for sure and then you gonna kick yourself and you get a curried pillow as shown by the OP above.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anish
Don't mean to dampen your spirit but this is what my pillow on a domestic AI business flight looked like today..

OMG, so you smelled curry all night while you rested your head on that thing they call a pillow?? LOL
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Just flew AI to london and back in biz on the dreamliner...
Plane was smelly and dirty, staff was crude surly and badly spoken, f&B lacked style and elegance booze ( premium blended) was ok for whiskey swilling Indians the ( red ) wine was undrinkably bad

but the hard product was just fine for a good nights sleep aloft. Dreamliner beds are proper flatbeds. Ugly garish cabin but ok for a sleep... flight took off and landed punctually. Priority baggage came....Fast at both ends... lounges were ok at both ends

That's intercontinental.... Domestic is all right in business - about as good as Gobusiness at 4-5 times the price
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
OMG, so you smelled curry all night while you rested your head on that thing they call a pillow?? LOL
One hopes that it was just curry!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FF fly with LH or BA, we flew LH in J and liked it very much, they were very professional. We flew, YUL-MUC-BOM-DEL, due to the strike LH was nice enough to re-route us with J on Jet from BOM to DEL.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Anish

Umm why could you not ask for another pillow? in dom J rarely does every one use a pillow... seems like it was more for the picture than the need for a pillow.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by FF
I may have to go to India (from London) for a client and they want to me fly AI, and I'd normally use BA. But they're paying and AI is less expensive - but not so much cheaper that we can't fund the difference ourselves if AI really is very poor quality. I'll have to do a Red Eye and work when I get there, so ability to sleep as well as possible is quite important. Most of the comments here on the board seem to be quite negative about AI...

BTW, 9W works out more expensive than BA 'cos of the BA Luxury Sale over the period I'll be travelling.

Any thoughts / advice / experience that might be helpful? Many thanks!

AI bashers aside. I love the AI F product. I've done ~6 trips ORD-DEL in F and absolutely have a better time anytime compared with anything else on that route.

Having said that I've flown the J on Maharajah 787 and they are fairly decent IMHO. I'd say go ahead and you will have a decent time. Yes there is the curry smell but people always find something to pick about almost anything.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by rsh913
Umm why could you not ask for another pillow? in dom J rarely does every one use a pillow... seems like it was more for the picture than the need for a pillow.
Of course I asked for another pillow.. And pillows come part of the J seat, I didn't ask for it.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:50 am
FF
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
FF fly with LH or BA, we flew LH in J and liked it very much, they were very professional. We flew, YUL-MUC-BOM-DEL, due to the strike LH was nice enough to re-route us with J on Jet from BOM to DEL.
I ended up booking BA - plus 9W for the internal flights - thanks for all the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.