Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Mumbai (BOM) connections/transfer questions come up often, so I thought we should strive to have a dedicated thread. Please post here, carefully specifying the airline name, arrival or departure, international or domestic. I'll try to maintain an updated summary.

I'll start out with a question of my own. I am arriving by BA at 12:30AM (peak time for BOM, I believe). One possible domestic connection is 2:20AM Jet Airways. With only 1:45hr, I assume that is a no-go? (The next one is 6:20AM Indigo, which ought to be safe.)

IS there a seperate counters for transit passengers for emmigration and security check ....just like delhi airport?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by uvm08
IS there a seperate counters for transit passengers for emmigration and security check ....just like delhi airport?
Yes... if you're on a eligible transit you need to go through the transit area instead. It's just before the immigration hall after you get of the aircraft and hard to miss.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
NH to 9W intl to intl

I am looking at NH (arriving 18.25) to 9W (international, leaving at 20.50), no bags. Is this feasible? Thanks, ps
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
easy peasy.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:13 pm

Hi,
I have a doubt for going to terminal 1 from terminal 2 my arrival time in terminal 2 will be 4:20a.m and departure time from terminal 1 will be 7:55 a.m so is it enough time and how do I get to terminal 1 from terminal 2 please help.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Laikangbam Sushma
Hi,
I have a doubt for going to terminal 1 from terminal 2 my arrival time in terminal 2 will be 4:20a.m and departure time from terminal 1 will be 7:55 a.m so is it enough time and how do I get to terminal 1 from terminal 2 please help.
It should be enough time, I think the peak arrivals are between midnight and 2-3am, so by 4:20am it should be quieter at immigration. Last I knew they discontinued the shuttle bus so you'd need a cab or auto, they can be a little extortionate, an auto should run you Rs150 but it'll take a bit of bargaining to get to that (and that is still arguably way too much)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

Nope you have to go straight through to security after checking in your bags... you can’t walk out anywhere else esp. out of the airport after that.
Apologies but my dozen or so experiences have been different.
Have been able to drop bags with the transfer desk and then leave airport
(go to JW at juhu for brunch, visit relatives and then return to airport about 2 hours before my domestic onward flight)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Only if you manage to give up your bags at the arrivals level. CISF won't let you out of the departure level above unless an airline employee signs you out.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA executive club Gold, United milage plus Gold
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
just a quick update for those transiting thru BOM:

if you are transiting the BOM (INTL-DOM)on separate PNRs:

my itinerary: IAD-FRA-BOM.(LH) BOM-BLR (AI).

The transfer counters just outside the Customs area (turning left after exiting customs) now has a new notice on the AI counter. It says it it is only for AI-AI transfer and just for dropping off baggage. One must still go to the AI domestic checkin counters to get your lounge pass.

We arrived from FRA (LH) around 0130 yesterday and as everyone indicated, it was utter chaos. We finally got out around 0315. We took our baggage up to the departures area.

AI checkin agent was very helpful and opened a special line (*G traveling on Y). She was able to get everything completed in less than five minutes and got us the GVK lounge passes (me + guest).
Thanks - this is very useful for me. I have a similar situation: I am flying from the US on Lufthansa next month and have to change in BOM to Chennai on Jet - all on one PNR. The LH flight arrives just before midnight and the Jet flight leaves at about 3am. I am a bit nervous about making the connection - looks like its going to be a fairly close.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver et al
Hi folks,

Long time FT lurker, first time poster. My thanks in advance for your help with this query.

I am arriving at BOM on a QR flight in J at 02:30 and have booked a seperate ticket on Jet to IXU at 5:20. I naively purchased a Première upsell -- literally a sold a "PUP" -- from Economy Saver thinking that I would be permitted access to the GVK Lounge at BOM terminal 2. After further digging, I see that lounge access and various other benefits are not included (despite the P fare code). Furthermore I have now chosen my seat and (therefore?) can't seem to cancel the flight under Jet's 24-hour cancellation policy.

So a few questions if I may:

-Is there any chance be able to access GVK Lounge by virtue of arriving in Qatar business class?
-Is there a way that I can pay to access to GVK Lounge?
-If I can't get into GVK, what's my next best option?
-Is there anything else crucial I am missing out on with this Jet Première upsell (e.g. non-priority customs/security lines)?

I am starting my journey in London and have ambitious (!) plans to visit the caves at Ellora and Pitalkora upon arrival in Aurangabad so I would like to maximise dozing time and minimise stress over the course of this transfer.

Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Yes you can pay to access the GVK Lounge, the price for the international lounge is INR 3k, I'm certain the domestic one would be cheaper. There's a new Amex Lounge you can use if you have an Amex Plat/Centurion card. There's also the Loyalty Lounge which is essentially as good as the GVK Lounge which can be accessed via Priority Pass or higher-end variants of Visa / Mastercard / Diners.

Apart from lounge access and excess baggage, you retain all other benefits via the upsell.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Anish
Yes you can pay to access the GVK Lounge, the price for the international lounge is INR 3k, I'm certain the domestic one would be cheaper. There's a new Amex Lounge you can use if you have an Amex Plat/Centurion card. There's also the Loyalty Lounge which is essentially as good as the GVK Lounge which can be accessed via Priority Pass or higher-end variants of Visa / Mastercard / Diners.

Apart from lounge access and excess baggage, you retain all other benefits via the upsell.
Thanks Anish, that's helpful. I gather from your response that I am unlikely to have GVK Lounge access as a result of arriving on a QR flight in business class. I don't think I will have any lounge access under those schemes you describe so am probably looking at a paid-for service. Do you think there would be any rationale to avail myself of the Pranaam meet-and-greet service, which I understand includes GVK (Pranaam) Lounge access? Or (given that I am an experienced and able-bodied traveller) perhaps it is not worth seeking lounge access at all? I am conscious that deplaning/collecting luggage/passing customs/boarding will all take time, so with three hours between arrival and departure time I might realistically not have much time to doze in the lounge anyway. Thanks again.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:28 pm

Thanks, Anish. This is very helpful. From your answer I assume that I have no claim on access to GVK by virtue of arriving on QR J class. Which is unsurprising.

I don't currently have any of the schemes you mention to gain access to another lounge, so it looks like it would just be the paid-for route. I am considering whether to avail myself of Pranaam meet-and-greet service, which I understand includes GVK (Pranaam) Lounge... though I am wondering whether there is a sound rationale as I am an able-bodied and experienced traveler. I am also conscious that between 02:30 and 05:20 I must taxi, deplane, collect luggage, pass customs/immigration, (pass security again?), check luggage and board, and I might not have much time to doze/relax in the lounge.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Yes you can pay to access the GVK Lounge, the price for the international lounge is INR 3k, I'm certain the domestic one would be cheaper. .
I was not aware that GVK lounge can be accessed by paying a fee ! The official
website of the lounge does not mention this anywhere. Can someone confirm ?
https://csia.in/atcsia/gvkloungeinternational.aspx

Last edited by flyalways; Dec 30, 2018 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:03 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rdsaintloup
Thanks, Anish. This is very helpful. From your answer I assume that I have no claim on access to GVK by virtue of arriving on QR J class. Which is unsurprising.

I don't currently have any of the schemes you mention to gain access to another lounge, so it looks like it would just be the paid-for route. I am considering whether to avail myself of Pranaam meet-and-greet service, which I understand includes GVK (Pranaam) Lounge... though I am wondering whether there is a sound rationale as I am an able-bodied and experienced traveler. I am also conscious that between 02:30 and 05:20 I must taxi, deplane, collect luggage, pass customs/immigration, (pass security again?), check luggage and board, and I might not have much time to doze/relax in the lounge.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

you are correct, by the time you clear immigration/customs/baggage pickup and recheck for domestic flight and clear domestic security, you will not have much time to relax in a lounge. When I enquired about payment for the domestic lounge, I was told that it would be around USD 20.

The domestic lounge is ok but I would rather walk around the food court and get to my domestic gate. Boarding usually starts 30 minutes before the scheduled departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.