Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Did the Intl-Domestic Transfer in late October again. LH from MUC arrives realtively early (11.20am) just before the midnight rush. Immigration was absolutely no issue, luggage came out quick. 9W just accepted the LH luggage tag which was labelled to CCU and reissued the BP (I had checked online). A short walk past security and into the bus. Including two toilet breaks (one at the luggage belt and one past bus security, I was travelling with wife and kids) we did the entire gate to gate (deplaning LH aircraft to getting past T1B security) transfer in 65-70mins and then had a excruciating 2h wait till our flight boarded.

I can imagine the rush when all airlines arrive around midnight to 1am.
Thanks Oliver2002. We're 11:45am arrival, so hopefully we'll have the same smooth transfer. We are transferring to a LCC Indigo so not sure I can get bags checked through so will have to wait for them. Guess I'll have to check out the lounge in Domestic, does anyone know if it's any good?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
IndiGo connections require you to take your luggage over yourself to T1A, but it should not be an issue. The contract lounge in T1B has been dismantled, they were setting up shops instead. Don't know if T1A still has a contract lounge available.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by johnnie69
Last time I did this, I had to pick up bags, go through customs, and then check them with Indigo in the International Terminal itself. Then x-ray the carry on, then board the shuttle to domestic.

As said, this was a while ago and oliver2002's information may be more up to date (ie, take all bags to domestic terminal).

Unless you are overly late, change some money in the international terminal.

I wouldn't expect any lounge. Just be grateful for the plastic chairs and coffee/snack counters.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Currently only AI and 9W have desks at BOM T2. Spicejet and Indigo pax have to carry their bags to the domestic terminal themselves.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Currently only AI and 9W have desks at BOM T2. Spicejet and Indigo pax have to carry their bags to the domestic terminal themselves.
Thanks, that's a change for the worse and one more reason to book your continuing journey on AI or 9W.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone used the baggage storage facilities at Mumbai airport? http://www.csia.in/atcsia/left-luggage.aspx

Thinking of storing some luggage while I do some domestic traveling within India.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
IndiGo connections require you to take your luggage over yourself to T1A, but it should not be an issue. The contract lounge in T1B has been dismantled, they were setting up shops instead. Don't know if T1A still has a contract lounge available.
IndiGo is based at T1B.
T1A houses Air India & Go Air.

Having said that, IndiGo uses boarding gates from T1B & T1C.
T1B has no Lounge, but has a few coffee shops and a Kingfisher Good Times Bar (post-security), that offers Indian Buffet around lunch time.

T1C is reachable from the Upper Level to the right of T1B and has The Carnations Lounge (opp. Gate A2 / A4).

Check out the Lounge wiki for detailed info.

And yes, stick to the airport shuttle bus.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Thanks to you all for the advice, much appreciated
I will post back here with my experiences on the 2nd Dec when back in the UK.
I've also got GOI-BOM-CCU and BBI-BOM all on Indigo so will post my thoughts/experiences on those too.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:03 am

I will be travelling From France to New Delhi via Mumbai by Jet Airways... Flight will land Mumbai at 10:30 AM and connecting flight will be from Mumbai Terminal 1B at 13:10 , which is domestic airport terminal.

We want to meet some of our friends from Mumbai over there. Will we have to go outside of Domestic Airport or our friends can come to some lounge, where we can meet them and have a cup of tea together.

Will we have to go through all the security checks again and How much time it takes?

Please guide...

Thanks in Advance
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
You will have to meet your friends outside of the domestic terminal as in Mumbai the general rule is that only ticketed passengers are allowed into the terminal.

You will have to go to security again as you will be switching from international to domestic and will clear immigration at Mumbai International and then head to the domestic terminal where you will have to go back through security. I would check earlier posts but 1030 to 13:10 is adequate for transferring but not sure how much time you will have to relax with your friends.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

My aunt is flying...
JFK-AUH-BOM-AMD

Entire ticket is in 1 record locator
JFK-AUH (...edit..."EY")
AUH-BOM-AMD (9W)

Will she do customs in BOM or AMD?
Does luggage transfer to domestic automatically?
How do people transfer from int. to domestic? (Take a bus?)

Last edited by joejoe666; Nov 22, 2014 at 9:48 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by joejoe666
My aunt is flying...
JFK-AUH-BOM-AMD

JFK-AUH (EK)
AUH-BOM-AMD (9W)

Customs & Passport Control at BOM T2.

Upon arrival, contact the 9W agent at the transfer desk. They will issue domestic boarding pass and guide her to the shuttle bus transfer point.

PS: incase she wants to avoid the T2->T1 transfer hassle at BOM, EY operates EY216 direct to AMD.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:45 am

My aunt is flying...
JFK-AUH-BOM-AMD

JFK-AUH (EK)
AUH-BOM-AMD (9W)

I'd be more concerned about her transfer in AUH than in BOM. If she is flying EK, then she will arrive in Dubai rather than Abu Dhabi and the service to Abu Dhabi is actually a bus. She will need to collect all her baggage in Dubai, go through immigration and customs (visa may be required depending on her nationality), carry it over to the bus and then go through the whole process again in Abu Dhabi. The bus stop in Abu Dhabi is also not at the airport, but rather at the Corniche so she will need to make her own way to the airport from there - a fairly lengthy taxi ride.

IMHO, this itinerary is a recipe for disaster. She should either rebook on EY for JFK-AUH nonstop, or else rebook on 9W from DXB-BOM. Trying to do the DXB-AUH shuffle is not recommended.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:43 am

Mumbai airport (BOM) connection/transfer/transit questions - dedicated thread

Ahhh sorry typo...JFK-AUH (EY) not EK
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 am

She was originally book JFK AUH AMD (jet was starting direct flight AUH-AMD this year...now they delayed it to 2015 so they rebooked her like this.

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
Quote:

My aunt is flying...
JFK-AUH-BOM-AMD

JFK-AUH (EK)
AUH-BOM-AMD (9W)

Customs &amp; Passport Control at BOM T2.

Upon arrival, contact the 9W agent at the transfer desk. They will issue domestic boarding pass and guide her to the shuttle bus transfer point.

PS: incase she wants to avoid the T2-&gt;T1 transfer hassle at BOM, EY operates EY216 direct to AMD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.