Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India Australia. SQ over AI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
India Australia. SQ over AI

I have to make 2 trips to Australia from delhi this year and then a least 4 next year. All in business class.

I have decided to go for SQ rather than AI despite the direct flight to sydney/Melbourne because

(1) SQ Has much better food. AI bangs it all up on a platter, serves no cheese or fine chocolate and has bad wine and champagne. TRUE?

(2) SQ seat is better even on the 777 as is IFE

TRUE?

(3) SQ is more reliable in terms of punctuality and functioning equipment

ACCURATE?

(4) Flying SQ I retain my *G status. I could get to Maharaja club on AI but that status I am told is worthless in terms of international op-ups or using miles to upgrade or anything that one can expect from ultra top tier.

CORRECT?

(5) I have not seen a single review of the long haul J class on the AI 787 so am sticking with what I know

Please, give me your feedback on (1)-(4) above and I would also be grateful if you could point me to a review of a flight in J on AI 787

Based on feedback here I decided against either Jet or AI in F on a DEL-Haikou run and stuck to CX in J. So I'm again asking for help to confirm/change my decision. Thank you.

Last edited by rathin100; Sep 19, 2013 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:52 am

I flew the maharajah 787 BLR DEL a few months ago while AI was flying that route. The cabin configuration is exactly like the J on the 777. Nothing extraordinary. For *G status I'd do SQ
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by rsh913
I flew the maharajah 787 BLR DEL a few months ago while AI was flying that route. The cabin configuration is exactly like the J on the 777. Nothing extraordinary. For *G status I'd do SQ
Oh I thought it was 2x2x2 and a flatbed on the 787 ...one more reason or my decision
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by rathin100
Oh I thought it was 2x2x2 and a flatbed on the 787 ...one more reason or my decision
It is.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Firstc
I have to make 2 trips to Australia from delhi this year and then a least 4 next year. All in business class.

I have decided to go for SQ rather than AI despite the direct flight to sydney/Melbourne because

(1) SQ Has much better food. AI bangs it all up on a platter, serves no cheese or fine chocolate and has bad wine and champagne. TRUE?

(2) SQ seat is better even on the 777 as is IFE

TRUE?

(3) SQ is more reliable in terms of punctuality and functioning equipment

ACCURATE?

(4) Flying SQ I retain my *G status. I could get to Maharaja club on AI but that status I am told is worthless in terms of international op-ups or using miles to upgrade or anything that one can expect from ultra top tier.

CORRECT?

(5) I have not seen a single review of the long haul J class on the AI 787 so am sticking with what I know

Please, give me your feedback on (1)-(4) above and I would also be grateful if you could point me to a review of a flight in J on AI 787

Based on feedback here I decided against either Jet or AI in F on a DEL-Haikou run and stuck to CX in J. So I'm again asking for help to confirm/change my decision. Thank you.
Not arguing against your points, but some counter arguments to help you decide:

1) Yes, SG is "fancier" but most people here will not deny that the actual food taste of AI is probably the best they have had at 35k feet

2) Honestly, not sure, but it is lie flat in AI - so my guess is similar seats, although im sure IFE is better in SG

3) I dont think thats true. It's a combination of weather and loads of other factors that affect this. Plus you have a connection, and missing connections is the biggest pain in the butt

4) yes, depends on you. If you fly in India a lot, *G is useless. If you fly on routes AI fly a lot, AI is better as it offers direct connectivity.

5) That's why we have you to provide us the review. It's just been a few months, so obviosuly no review. I would say it's going to be a new experience for you, and a cheaper experience - so go for it. If it's not good, you can switch back on your next flights, and use the points you have earned for domestics
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by highflier86
1) Yes, SG is "fancier" but most people here will not deny that the actual food taste of AI is probably the best they have had at 35k feet
Indian Vegetarian (AVML) on SQ is some of the best food I've tasted at 35,000 feet; even on routes not touching India.

2) Honestly, not sure, but it is lie flat in AI - so my guess is similar seats, although im sure IFE is better in SG
2x2x2 on a 787 vs Direct Aisle Access 1-2-1 on a 77W and A380. SQ Wins Hands down for seat & IFE.

3) I dont think thats true. It's a combination of weather and loads of other factors that affect this. Plus you have a connection, and missing connections is the biggest pain in the butt
All things being equal, SQ wins on connectivity and on time performance. SQ also has 3 (or is it now 4) flights between SIN and MEL each day so a misconnect is not going to be that much of a hassle.

4) yes, depends on you. If you fly in India a lot, *G is useless. If you fly on routes AI fly a lot, AI is better as it offers direct connectivity.
Except, the benefits *G gives while travelling internationally likely outweigh the benefits one gets as a Maharaja Club member while travelling domestically.

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd take SQ over AI any day. If SQ is considerably expensive c.f AI, look at CX fares to AU, which can be had around the 135,000 INR mark in business, which isn't that much higher than what AI charges for the route.

Also, flying SQ (or CX) will remove the need to backtrack via DEL.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to highflier86 and SQ421 for their advice. I'm actually now Delhi based ( apologies I've modified my profile). I guess the 1-2-1 config beats AI Dreamliner. Also I don't eat Indian food when I travel and am an enthusiastic carnivore so again I guess SQ trumps on this
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

And AI and SQ I'm getting very similar fares to AU
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
And AI and SQ I'm getting very similar fares to AU
Then SQ would be an obvious choice
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SQ421
Then SQ would be an obvious choice
most definitely....^^
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
SQ all the way!

One small suggestion, instead of putting your miles in SQ put them in United. You get all the benefits coz of *g and you can book redemption tickets on entire *a with very low taxes and surcharges. Like you will pay 350$ taxes on lufthansa with SQ miles where as you pay 80$ with united miles.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Firstc
Originally Posted by SQ421
Indian Vegetarian (AVML) on SQ is some of the best food I've tasted at 35,000 feet; even on routes not touching India.

2x2x2 on a 787 vs Direct Aisle Access 1-2-1 on a 77W and A380. SQ Wins Hands down for seat & IFE.

All things being equal, SQ wins on connectivity and on time performance. SQ also has 3 (or is it now 4) flights between SIN and MEL each day so a misconnect is not going to be that much of a hassle.

Except, the benefits *G gives while travelling internationally likely outweigh the benefits one gets as a Maharaja Club member while travelling domestically.

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd take SQ over AI any day. If SQ is considerably expensive c.f AI, look at CX fares to AU, which can be had around the 135,000 INR mark in business, which isn't that much higher than what AI charges for the route.

Also, flying SQ (or CX) will remove the need to backtrack via DEL.
Agree with a lot of your points, and again, I was providing some counter points for the OP. However, a few things:

I am sorry but you cannot argue that that flying with a connection is a better option in terms of on time performance than a direct flight...Missed connections is a big pain in the ..., with rebookings, baggage etc.

Secondly, if you are a high domestic travel, and want to be flexible with your points, it does not matter what status you have, period. Just having the option to book domestic through miles is a big deal.

Not arguing that SQ has the better product, everyone knows that, but the combination of cheaper fares and the above points, plus trying out a new aircraft would be good enough reasons for me to atleast give it a shot.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Agree with a lot of your points, and again, I was providing some counter points for the OP. However, a few things:

I am sorry but you cannot argue that that flying with a connection is a better option in terms of on time performance than a direct flight...Missed connections is a big pain in the ..., with rebookings, baggage etc.

Secondly, if you are a high domestic travel, and want to be flexible with your points, it does not matter what status you have, period. Just having the option to book domestic through miles is a big deal.

Not arguing that SQ has the better product, everyone knows that, but the combination of cheaper fares and the above points, plus trying out a new aircraft would be good enough reasons for me to atleast give it a shot.
I think your points are very valid domestic I only fly 6E and gobusiness because they. Save me at least 30 minutes at the Delhi end ( terminal) so in my case it's domestic miles are not an issue. With AI there is the benefit of s nonstop... But the product seems so crummy that ill wait for someone to try it and review it before I take the plunge .
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k819
SQ all the way!

One small suggestion, instead of putting your miles in SQ put them in United. You get all the benefits coz of *g and you can book redemption tickets on entire *a with very low taxes and surcharges. Like you will pay 350$ taxes on lufthansa with SQ miles where as you pay 80$ with united miles.

Thanks for the tip I'm closing down LH anyway but was thinking of switching to Turkish... But will also look at United now...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:11 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
air india gets you into mel in 12 hours compared to 16:10 on cathay, 16:35 on malaysian and 17:55 on singapore with their fastest connection. while cathay and malaysian will depart late at night and arrive at night, singapore is a morning departure and gets you in an hour after air india. i personally feel the air india timing is fantastic. you depart at a very comfortable time from india, get to sleep for a good amount of time and get in early enough to make the most of the day in mel, which though singapore is also offering, the extra 5:55 is just not worth it for me, when a direct flight is giving you the same benefit.

yes all other factors considered sq looks better on paper, and frequent flier miles are also very important, but coming from a person who does 50 pressurisation cycles a month in an aircraft, this direct flight is way too good to compare with anything else. all i will do i sleep in the flight than spend 4:50 at singapore airport. and the dreamliner apparently has better cabin comfort so you do arrive fresher.

i will be flying this route in january on air india. i will be reviewing it then for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.