FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines-638/)
-   -   Tata Sons & SQ to launch India based airline [Vistara][merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-based-airlines/1504383-tata-sons-sq-launch-india-based-airline-vistara-merged.html)

UA Fan Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by intltravel90 (Post 22223441)
The law will be scrapped! http://www.business-standard.com/art...1500037_1.html

Good - a major change.

I also do not understand how this will prevent transiting in DXB, but luckily, this law is going away.

Is there some law about transiting DXB?

intltravel90 Jan 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by bpbindaas (Post 22130857)
I agree on your second point.. hopefully Tata SQ can change that. As per IT is concerned, they had their own operational inefficiencies. Whether or not people are willing to pay more, we will see ;);)

Yes, the lack of FF miles earning is interesting; most of the carriers compete only on price and have no programs at all.

intltravel90 Jan 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 22223445)
Is there some law about transiting DXB?

Ha! No, this was in reply to the 5-year component of OP's post. The 5/20 rule stipulates that a carrier cannot fly abroad until that carrier has operated in the Indian market for 5 years. That's going away now.

FTcadence Aug 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Vistara: Tata-SIA joint venture to start operations in October

This fall, Tata and Singapore Airline's JV - Vistara - is expected to launch.

The new full-service airline will be New Delhi-based and will be leasing SQ's A320 aircraft.

Vistara plans to operate 87 weekly flights. "The airline is likely to have 14 flights a week connecting Delhi to Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Hyderabad. Apart from covering the big cities, there are going to be seven flights a week to Srinagar, Patna and Chandigarh."

http://qz.com/247470/singapore-airli...#/h/94377,2,3/

hserus Aug 12, 2014 2:28 am

No *A membership I guess, though there'd possibly be a SQ codeshare.

Keyser Aug 12, 2014 4:03 am

can't wait for this to start....ai gets 90% of my business as i'm forced to give about 10% to jet....but now i'll be happy to get rid of jet altogether....

deovrat Aug 12, 2014 4:59 am

Slightly off-topic, but is there a current situation where there are 2 airlines from the same country within the same Alliance (like UA and US used to co-exist)?

oliver2002 Aug 12, 2014 5:16 am

SQ already set up Silkair and Scoot without any *A affiliation. I doubt this will be any different.

YuropFlyer Aug 12, 2014 5:26 am

Originally Posted by deovrat (Post 23349619)
Slightly off-topic, but is there a current situation where there are 2 airlines from the same country within the same Alliance (like UA and US used to co-exist)?

There is: China, used to have Shanghai Airlines (now integrated into MU) and Air China in Star Alliance, and still has China Airlines (TPE), China Eastern (PVG, SHA, NKG etc.), China Southern (CAN etc.) and Xiamen Airlines (XMN, HGH..) all in Skyteam.

bpbindaas Aug 12, 2014 5:26 am

Really eager to know if the 20-5 rule will be relaxed now. I am really looking forward to flying international with them.

deovrat Aug 12, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 23349692)
There is: China, used to have Shanghai Airlines (now integrated into MU) and Air China in Star Alliance, and still has China Airlines (TPE), China Eastern (PVG, SHA, NKG etc.), China Southern (CAN etc.) and Xiamen Airlines (XMN, HGH..) all in Skyteam.

Thanks a ton. Didn't know much about Xiamen and China Eastern.

Xiaotung Aug 12, 2014 6:21 am

Originally Posted by deovrat (Post 23349619)

*A said even at the AI joining ceremony last month that *A has room for a second Indian airline. The same would probably happen in Brazil in the near future as well.

China at the moment has both CA and ZH as *A members.

techblr Aug 12, 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bpbindaas (Post 23349694)
Really eager to know if the 20-5 rule will be relaxed now. I am really looking forward to flying international with them.

I read somewhere that they will lobby really hard with the govt to relax the 20-5 rule. It would be really interesting to know what routes they would fly internationally.

HMPS Aug 12, 2014 11:34 am

Welcome news. We get to fly a class and well managed airline in India. Been a while since I flew one......

The name Vistara conjures up images of a land based resort too ! :)

d3vski Aug 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Looking forward to this. Shame they are primarily focused on DEL. Will have to try them out. Any ideas if they will be launching an FF program.

No way SQ and Tata can mess this one up. Just too much pride to be lost!