Wiki Posts
Search

Kingfisher a goner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Kingfisher a goner

I think this deserves a new thread.

It seems like what we already knew is now playing out at an accelerated speed.

In a couple of weeks, internationally, IT are ending all operations at Bangkok, Dhaka, Kathmandu and London. In addition, their website shows no flights to Hong Kong or Singapore either.

Domestically, a host of routes are being cut and a number of cities losing IT service entirely (Bhubaneswar, Calcutta, Coimbatore, etc...). Also, just like with the international flights, searching for flights to several places (Bhavnagar, Kandla, Patna, etc...) yields : No flights found!

The "for sure" list so far :
http://airlineroute.net/2012/03/10/it-s12/
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jasepl
It seems like what we already knew is now playing out at an accelerated speed.
Pretty much. Kingfisher has been a goner for months now. Every one of the 50 daily news updates we get on them is just another step towards bankruptcy...

Shutting London is a pretty big move.. It's their flagship route, so I would have expected that to be the last route they cut. Maybe they're expecting to lose their A330s to repo/lease expiration soon
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:57 am

I read about this in the morning as well on Economic Times

As per the checks I made on the system I can verify that outbound from Delhi last flight for HONGKONG is 28th And London is 16th April. Other sectors mentioned by OP are also not displaying after 25th Mrch

Apparently Dubai and Singapore remain as the only sectors showing booking possibility till end April.

I was trying to book a flight today on IT for Dubai against there special fare of Rs 14000/- return offered in association with VIA.COM, when checked they informed me that they have exhausted all bookings with Airline and as per circular they have received from IT is to sieze all bookings 25th Onwards.

I guess Monday all shall be clear on what is their gameplan.... Vijay Mallya said that he would end the crisis by 4th March, more than 10 days he has been silent, could it be the silence before the storm?

Last edited by Punjabi007; Mar 10, 2012 at 8:58 am Reason: wrong date
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
First signs of closing down.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Shutting London is a pretty big move.. It's their flagship route,
Not according to the recent flight I took with them http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18173871-post255.html
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:13 pm
Suspended

IT *(Malllya) is saving itself (himself) for non-stop BLR-SFO.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:41 pm

Prepare for IT Pilots agitation in next 48 hours

Kingfisher Pilots to go on strike unless paid in 48 hours

Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
So this is IT's prelude to its final finale....

Any one yet received refunds for their cancelled flights??
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:41 pm

According to the article, "About 80% of pilots will not be reporting for work from Monday". Since IT has canceled more than 80% of their flights, they should have enough pilots to fly the remaining routes, right?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:12 pm

just shot myself in the head.. multiple times. heard about the agitation of the pilot this morning and tried to cancel the tickets and get a refund, since its an online booking i spent 90 mins on the phone with no luck.

decided to make an alternative booking on cleartrip and screwed up. had bought tickets for the sister in law to bangkok yesterday on cleartrip and ended up changing locations and not the dates. booked us on a one way trip from Bangalore to Bombay on 13th August instead of 13th March. Cancellations cost me 1000 per pax..

and now i am pretty sure Kingfisher is not going to fly on Tuesday and am stuck with em tickets.

whole thing is a total effing fiasco of govt of India proportions. somehow i blame Vijay Mallya and the Indian govt for this.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skinnylizard
whole thing is a total effing fiasco of govt of India proportions. somehow i blame Vijay Mallya and the Indian govt for this.
While Mallya certainly deserves plenty of blame, not sure why you blame the government ... Kingfisher's problems are largely their own making.

Unless you blame the government for not shutting them down before this whole fiasco takes place... I agree that the longer they drag this out, the more it will hurt.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong is gone too, effective almost immediately. Supposedly only for a month, but I'm not holding my breath for a resumption.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/03/10/it-bomhkg-mar12/

Originally Posted by skinnylizard
Government and the ministry have nothing to do with it. Kingfisher's predicament is entirely the fault of their management and their ego-in-chief.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:41 am
Original Poster

A friend sent me this picture; seems like someone jumped the gun when it came to oneworld :

Soon they're going to have to blacken the whole thing.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
A little premature to declare is a goner but it does seem that it is on the way out.

A real shame as i have had many happy associations with the airline. I really enjoyed flying with them in the early days but the best thing was that i met my wife through this airline and for that, i will always be grateful and have a soft spot for the airline.

To the fat 'dirty pervy paedo uncle type' one: You are a shame as you have such loyal staff who would defend you to the end BUT you still allowed Kingfisher to fall from grace when it was on the cusp of being a world beater. Good riddance to you from the aviation industry.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by d3vski

To the fat 'dirty pervy paedo uncle type' one: You are a shame as you have such loyal staff who would defend you to the end BUT you still allowed Kingfisher to fall from grace when it was on the cusp of being a world beater. Good riddance to you from the aviation industry.
Isn't it a bit premature as well to start blaming people as if you know how to run an airline, especially in India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.