Wiki Posts
Search

Indigo slowly gaining ground

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Indigo slowly gaining ground

Read this morning, that Indigo now have overtaken Air India in terms of it's passenger market share. Considering they were the last airline to join the bandwagon, think they’ve done pretty well for themselves thus far.

Forbes (India) also ran an interesting article on the airline, their story & a bit on its media-shy founder.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/03/for...digo-gold.html
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
interesting....

while i have never flown them, my brother & a lot of people at my firm fly with them regularly & they all have positive things to say about the airline....
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Frankly.. I didnt know the owners name till I read this article..
a stark difference from the ways of KF and Jet ..

Companies go on and on about how its getting unviable to do this or that business in india and want subsidies / taxes etc reduced.. its always easy to point the finger at someone else..
And i wonder how can Jet / KF/ Indigo with mostly similar routes have so stark a difference in their profitability !!!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
As the article mentions, i guess, its a lot to do with their fleet (aircraft type), aircraft maintenance & service deals, routes flown, aircraft utilization, turn-around time etc...

Have flown them on a few occasions over the years. Flights were more or less on time, pretty full for the most part & like other LCC's were charging if folks wanted to choose their seat (like say an emergency exit seat)
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by quarryking
As the article mentions, i guess, its a lot to do with their fleet (aircraft type), aircraft maintenance & service deals, routes flown, aircraft utilization, turn-around time etc...
Have flown them on a few occasions over the years. Flights were more or less on time, pretty full for the most part & like other LCC's were charging if folks wanted to choose their seat (like say an emergency exit seat)
exactly.. and obviously these leaner airlines are more thrifty and give more bang for the buck.. the full service pvt airlines should look at these things and not just pass the buck for one reason or another..
(I am sure they do this, but in the media, they just wanna pass the buck to somebody else).. where are their business plans they made when starting this business ?? was it all "§"!$!§"
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The article is comparing apples and oranges. 9W and KF are airlines with a premium business model and a longhaul operation. Just as you cannot compare SQ/EK with LH/BA and UA/US with WN. It seems they smartly went about setting up a LCC that competes with the Railways and are very successful. How the model of leasing brand new A320 and giving them back when they are just a few years old before the D check (?) is going to work over years with financial markets staying tight and sceptical remains to be seen. Its refreshing to see a LCC succeed and giving may access to air travel, especially in India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.