Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

anyone ever travel Continental Airlines or UA to India?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

i'm planning on traveling to india and Air India is expensive compared to these airlines. I was talking to a travel agent and he said yes it's cheaper but there are rules you dont know - for example if i go with Continental Airlines i will arrive to mumbai then transfer to amd with Kingfisher or Jet airways. He said since i'm not flying Jet airways - that Jet only allows 1 baggage and since i'm international with 2 baggages ill have to pay for 1 checkin baggage of $80 (going and coming back). How true is this?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I am not aware of any UA flight to India unless you mean the codeshare with CO. I've traveled on CO to DEL. However, I do not understand what else you are trying to ask. Baggage allowance can be found on any carrier's website. For continental refer to this.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to ft jeerima....if you are on one through ticket with the same pnr then you should not have a problem with your luggage....
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zakami
I am not aware of any UA flight to India unless you mean the codeshare with CO. I've traveled on CO to DEL. However, I do not understand what else you are trying to ask. Baggage allowance can be found on any carrier's website. For continental refer to this.
i'm sorry if i wasnt clear. What i mean to ask was:

the flight info is:
I leave EWR and I take
Continental -> Mumbai
then from Mumbai i take Kingfisher
Kingfisher Airlines -> AMD

When i'm leaving i take Jet Airways to Mumbai
Jet Airways -> Mumbai
Then I take United Airlines to EWR
UA -> EWR

My question is - since it's a connecting flight and Continental allows me 2 check-in bags does that mean i can checkin 2 for kingfisher or they have their own rules and vice versa with coming back I take United Airlines.

Sorry for such a newbish question
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Few indian airlines honor the International Baggage allowance if you are flying the domestic segments within 24 hrs ( Even if not in the same PNR). But you need to send a E Mail or Call ahead to confirm this.

I was flying on a SFO-JFK-BRU-MAA iten on American + Jet Airways in 2009 and Jet had 2+1 baggage allowance then. From MAA to TRZ, Paramount and Kingfisher were ready to accept the same baggages, if I could show the International Ticket and Boarding pass. I got a E mail confirmation as well.

When I checked in at Chennai, I just mentioned that I'm flying in from USA and showed the SFO-MAA boarding pass, and Paramount agent checked in the extra bags without a question. The E mail printout was not even necessary. So just look up in the website or E mail the customer care. (Jet / Jet Lite / Jet Connect / IA / Spice / Indigo / KF) are serving DEL-AMD Sector.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by jeerima
i'm planning on traveling to india and Air India is expensive compared to these airlines. I was talking to a travel agent and he said yes it's cheaper but there are rules you dont know - for example if i go with Continental Airlines i will arrive to mumbai then transfer to amd with Kingfisher or Jet airways. He said since i'm not flying Jet airways - that Jet only allows 1 baggage and since i'm international with 2 baggages ill have to pay for 1 checkin baggage of $80 (going and coming back). How true is this?
Just show them a copy of your BP or your itinerary and luggage tag and they will honor it. Dont worry about emailing or calling them. It works. Same for return trip show copy of your itinerary.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold

Jet Airways -> Mumbai
UA -> EWR

UA does not fly to India. You are being sold a continental flight as a UA codeshare. That really does not affect teh question you are asking.
But, just FYI, UA does not fly to India as yet...this will change when Continental and United merge, and we will only have the United name.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:26 pm

the flight info is:
I leave EWR and I take
Continental -> Mumbai
then from Mumbai i take Kingfisher
Kingfisher Airlines -> AMD

Jet Airways -> Mumbai
UA -> EWR

My question is - since it's a connecting flight and Continental allows me 2 check-in bags does that mean i can checkin 2 for kingfisher or they have their own rules and vice versa with coming back I take United Airlines.

Sorry for such a newbish question
You do realize depending on what date you're traveling AI has a EWR-FRA-AMD flight and JFK-BOM-AMD once the non stops replace FRA connections.

You might consider flying AI they have a very good product. Very inexpensive J produce as well.
Also if you book directly on Air India's website the fare is about 10% cheaper that what you'd get through a consolidator including Expedia/ Travelocity etc. On First class fares the difference on AI's website and a consolidator is actually close to 2000$. So I am not sure when you say AI is expensive if its online or through a consolidator.
(AI bashers please be )
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Spice Jet allows you to check in two bvags as long as you have an international connection in 24 hours.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXPPlat, UA 1K, 9W Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Another option to consider if you want to do NYC-AMD is QR... far better than AI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.