Wiki Posts
Search

DEL - KTM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:16 am
Original Poster

DEL - KTM

hi all,

I'll be heading to KTM for EBC trek in Feb 2011. Due to cost consideration, i am thinking to get into KTM via DEL (same for return). This is the most cost effective way thus far based on extensive net search.

My tentative flights as below:
6 Feb Malaysia -- DEL (arrive on 19:10) (Airasia)
7 Feb DEL (07:30) -- KTM (9:00) (spicejet)

23 Feb KTM (09:50) -- DEL (11.20) (spicejet)
24 Feb DEL (21:45) -- Malaysia

My question:
(a) Transit visa or travel visa?
(b) Is it safe to spend the night in the airport?
(c) Any nearby accomodation available for a good sleep? cost?
(d) Any specific issue i should be aware of such arrangement?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
stcroix
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by stcroixav
hi all,

I'll be heading to KTM for EBC trek in Feb 2011. Due to cost consideration, i am thinking to get into KTM via DEL (same for return). This is the most cost effective way thus far based on extensive net search.

My tentative flights as below:
6 Feb Malaysia -- DEL (arrive on 19:10) (Airasia)
7 Feb DEL (07:30) -- KTM (9:00) (spicejet)

23 Feb KTM (09:50) -- DEL (11.20) (spicejet)
24 Feb DEL (21:45) -- Malaysia

My question:
(a) Transit visa or travel visa?
(b) Is it safe to spend the night in the airport?
(c) Any nearby accomodation available for a good sleep? cost?
(d) Any specific issue i should be aware of such arrangement?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
stcroix
Welcome to FT stcroix!

First, what country's passport do you plan to use? That will help us give you better answers.

1. In general, for your itinerary, you can just have a transit visa....
Again, passport info will be good.

remember: if you plan to enter the country during both your outbound and inbound sectors; and you plan to get a multiple entry tourist visa, this may be difficult. Pax with tourist visas cannot re-enter within 60 days of their exit from India, unless they have prior authorization.

2. THe transit area in the airport does not have any sleeping facilities. It has a restroom. You could pay and get access to a lounge if you want some snacks / place to sit quietly. Not all lounges are open 24 hours in DEL.

3. Several reasonable hotels in DEL near airport. Search the Airlines of India / India forums.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks snod88 for your reply. I'll using Malaysian passport for the travel.

Any suggestion how i can address the immigration/visa issue?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to ft stcroixav....the easiest way to do this would be to not leave the airport during your inbound trip....you will have to spend the night at the airport but you can always pay & get access to one of the lounges....

you can apply for a transit visa which you can use for your outbound journey....there are a number of hotels near the airport that you can use....
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks saad for your reply. I'll check the procedures for outbound transit visa.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Thanks saad for your reply. I'll check the procedures for outbound transit visa.
yes check with the local Indian embassy and u should not have a problem since u have a lot of time.. there are many folks like u who transit in DEL for KTM..
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

I just found out that transit visa is valid for 15 days only. Hence, if I were the arrange the transit visa from home country, validity will expiry prior to the outbound trip. Looks like I need to arrange the transit visa in KTM India Embassy. Anyone has experience it before? can it be done within a day?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I just found out that transit visa is valid for 15 days only. Hence, if I were the arrange the transit visa from home country, validity will expiry prior to the outbound trip. Looks like I need to arrange the transit visa in KTM India Embassy. Anyone has experience it before? can it be done within a day?
not sure....it may be a good idea to get in touch with the indian embassy there to get a proper answer....
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:36 am

I just found out that transit visa is valid for 15 days only.
This 15 days is valid from ?? Check with them the exact requirements , timelines and process for a transit visa.. if these are clear maybe u can apply more closer to ur date of departure but best to check with them about when to apply for transit visa if its not possible for them to give it with a future date...
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:48 am
Original Poster

This the message I got from an authorised (by India Embassy) visa consultant:

"Transit Visa are valid for halts of up to 72 hours in India within 15 days from the date of issue of the visa and must be obtained before departure. Transit Visa cannot be obtained from immigration counters at ports of entry in India. Evidence of onward travel to a destination outside India is required"
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Transit Visa are valid for halts of up to 72 hours in India within 15 days from the date of issue of the visa and must be obtained before departure. Transit Visa cannot be obtained from immigration counters at ports of entry in India. Evidence of onward travel to a destination outside India is required"
like i said before....its best to get in touch with the indian embassy in ktm....
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:23 am

I guess u can then apply within 15 days of ur travel..keep all docs ready and then there shd not be any problem.. u can spk to them to know abt processing times , exact visa doc requirements etc..
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I guess u can then apply within 15 days of ur travel..keep all docs ready and then there shd not be any problem.. u can spk to them to know abt processing times , exact visa doc requirements etc..
his problem is that he is now not planning on clearing immigration during his in-bound trip....he only plans on using the visa during the outbound leg of the journey....he leaves malaysia on the 6th of feb & wants to use the transit visa when he comes back to delhi on the 23rd of feb....since that is over 15 days, his transit visa would have expired....his best bet would be to get in touch with the indian embassy in ktm & try to get a transit visa while he is there....
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:13 am

[QUOTE=saad;14660066]his problem is that he is now not planning on clearing immigration during his in-bound trip....he only plans on using the visa during the outbound leg of the journey....QUOTE]

oops.. i had got inbound and outbound mixed up..
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

I've contacted the authorised Visa consultant / issuer in KTM. Transit visa should can be issued within a day (with all the necessary documents), this fit my schedule since I've already prepared to spend an extra day in KTM after the trek. But, i think i better spend another night in KTM in case of unwanted situation.

Thanks everyone here for your kind advices.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.