Community
Wiki Posts
Search

jet airways trying to expand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:36 am
Original Poster

jet airways trying to expand

I have just read that jet airways is trying to expand into europe, to apparently places like; Rome and Paris, but the ministry are not allowing them the rights to fly there to help Air India, as they do not want any more money loss.

Is this allowed and how long till 9W can start flying there?

dt77
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:37 am
Original Poster

um sorry forgot to post the link

http://www.livemint.com/2010/08/2422....html?atype=tp
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I like this part:

Jet founder Naresh Goyal told Mint in March that the airline will take a call on invitations from various airline alliances soon but did not specify a time frame. “Everybody has offered, (but) we haven’t yet decided which alliance (to join). We are studying everything,” he had said.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
How many of these so called codeshares are beneficial to the passenger. I have tried many times to get these codeshare tickets to beyond india and even a india-europe-america but i have never seen Jet and their codeshare partners come anywhere near the reasonable price.....they always price out at full price.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by d3vski
How many of these so called codeshares are beneficial to the passenger. I have tried many times to get these codeshare tickets to beyond india and even a india-europe-america but i have never seen Jet and their codeshare partners come anywhere near the reasonable price.....they always price out at full price.
so true.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
that's true....the only time i found a code share that was cheaper was last year on an etihad flight from del - auh....
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Code share will generally be more expensive, as far as discounted economy fares are concerned, to destinations where the airline other than 9W has its own flights, and the other airline has no other code share or alliance partners from India. The code shares give deeper reach to 9W for premium fliers, which serves 9W's purpose of extr4acting more revenue without starting additional flights from LHR. In other words, discounted economy passengers are usually the targeted market for code shares.
UA will help 9W with lower fares, if 9W is the only airline that can feed more traffic to UA.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I like this part:
Jet founder Naresh Goyal told Mint in March that the airline will take a call on invitations from various airline alliances soon but did not specify a time frame. “Everybody has offered, (but) we haven’t yet decided which alliance (to join). We are studying everything,” he had said.
This should put an end to speculations that code share with UA automatically means that 9W will join * Alliance. AI will strongly oppose 9W's entry into * Alliance, not that the alliance will necessarily respond to the pressure.
The likely choice for 9W will be One World or Sky Team, as IT doesn't have the same clout as AI (backed by the Govt) has. If 9W joins One World, or * Alliance, it would compete with IT and AI for connections between the gateways served by by One World airlines and other destinations in India. From that perspective, SkyTeam makes more sense, as SkyTeam carriers would automatically feed traffic to 9W from their Indian gateways to other destinations in India.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 27, 2010 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Yaatri
This should put an end to speculations that code share with UA automatically means that 9W will join * Alliance. AI will strongly oppose 9W's entry into * Alliance, not that the alliance will necessarily respond to the pressure.
The likely choice for 9W will be One World or Sky Team, as IT doesn't have the same clout as AI (backed by the Govt) has. If 9W joins One World, or * Alliance, it would compete with IT and AI for connections between the gateways served by by One World airlines and other destinations in India. From that perspective, SkyTeam makes more sense, as SkyTeam carriers would automatically feed traffic to 9W from their Indian gateways to other destinations in India.
good point yaatri....that makes a lot of sense....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:29 am
Original Poster

yes that is a good point yaatri, but i always though jet airways would be best suited with oneworld, and i think if both IT and 9W are in oneworld, there will be competition but not too much as these airlines have their own alliance.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
but i guess from point of view from Oneworld, 2 indian airlines in one alliance wont make too much sense.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:42 am
Original Poster

ahh but it might do , it would have a lot of connectivity, its like Star alliance they have 3 american airlines, therefore greater connectivity, sky team also had two, now one big one. This has helped other airlines within the alliance to have greater connectivity across USA, and it also helps the american airlines, as they have greater options with other carriers on board.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dt77
yes that is a good point yaatri, but i always though jet airways would be best suited with oneworld, and i think if both IT and 9W are in oneworld, there will be competition but not too much as these airlines have their own alliance.
Competition is good. for consumers, but not necessarily for the airline.
Mind you businesses are there to make money, not to serve us. They serve us because they have to, to tmake money. W9 will do what's best for its long term prosperity. Why do you think 9W is best suited for One World? Your argument leads me to conclude that 9W is just as well suited for *Alliance.
I have seen that people wanted IT and 9W to join whichever alliance they prefer. I wish it were that simple. Do you fly mostly with One World airlines?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dt77
ahh but it might do , it would have a lot of connectivity, its like Star alliance they have 3 american airlines, therefore greater connectivity, sky team also had two, now one big one. This has helped other airlines within the alliance to have greater connectivity across USA, and it also helps the american airlines, as they have greater options with other carriers on board.
The three airlines in * alliance don't have overlapping markets. Soon there will be only two, as UA and CO will become one airline. If US is gobbled by AA, as it is rumoured, there will be only one US major in the alliance. Two airlines competing for the same routes hurts both. Both IT and 9W want to fly from India to the U.S. Europe, SE Asia and the middle east. They offer the same or similar routes.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

um for the first part of ur response...i always thought 9W is better suited for oneworld, as they have many partnerships with american airlines, being in their terminal at JFK, at LHR their codeshares. Now i kno that you will say that 9W also has many codeshares with *A, but due to Air India joining and the government stopping the expansion of 9W i feel that this will not be a good move, and the alliance is not as integrate and close i feel as the oneworld alliance.

2nd....i highly doubt aa and us will become 1, aa is waiting for the chance to merge with ba - ib, this is what i think. And yes 9W and IT's network is close but with their alliance working in their home ground, india maybe being in the same alliance can allow them to expand this alliance to benefit both of them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.