Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Coach to Delhi - which airline is preferable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach to Delhi - which airline is preferable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by hobbes78
I don't know which seatguru.com you visited, but no major airline ever has/had a "I" seat! The seat numbers usually come from legacy issues, which follows from the largest aircraft in the fleet of any particular airline.

AIs largest aircraft was 744 with 10 seats abreast and so the numbering was: ABC DEFG HJK. When any airline remaps seats to smaller wide-bodies like A332, B77L, etc they always keep the window seat numbers fixed, while taking off any aisle seat. In case of AI that happens to be G and so for B777: ABC DEF HJK.
Hope you enjoy your trip...
+1 to the above..
Note to OP.. If i were u, I would not worry so much for the seating unless u r travelling in a few days... I dont believe that many AI pax use seat reservations compared to other airlines..if u want an aisle or window seat and u want to book it immediately and thts important for u, then I believe the TA u brought the ticket from shd be able to help.. check with them..

Originally Posted by hobbes78
Had you flown some wide bodies with different carriers you would have easily noticed this peculiarity and not unnecessarily blamed a country for it!
The seat mapping u said works for 3-3-3-seating alignments I think..but when we have 2-2 seating, then IIRC the seats are AC DF which then doesnt follow the above logic..
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Flyinglisa
Perhaps.

But I think its kind of funny. And annoying.
Like India!
india is funny & annoying????
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:24 am

Perhaps.

But I think its kind of funny. And annoying.
Like India!
I hope ur attitude changes before the trip starts...

India like many other countries is way way different than any other country and specially the west..U need to be flexible, to be receptive to the differences and you should want to see and understand the reasons for those differences ..Unless your r more tolerant to these things its just no use going anywhere..
And I say the same thing after many travels worldwide and other fter's would agree, we as Indians have a much more harrowing time even before we start planning the trip ( funny and annoying visa regulations from most western countries is one eg)..
U have a problem with AI online booking and thts understood, but so do most of us with some airline or the other (U can check the airline forums for this.. Eg.. I hv problems with LH/OS/LX charging me big money for taxes and fees even on award tickets, for reducing elite benefits blah blah) ...but IMHO we should not generalize saying that the xxx country is annoying and funny..
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
The seat mapping u said works for 3-3-3-seating alignments I think..but when we have 2-2 seating, then IIRC the seats are AC DF which then doesnt follow the above logic..
I mentioned "widebodies". For single-aisle seating the reference is 3-3 layout: ABC DEF and so for 2-2 layout it's naturally AC DF.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:05 pm

I hope ur attitude changes before the trip starts...

India like many other countries is way way different than any other country and specially the west..U need to be flexible, to be receptive to the differences and you should want to see and understand the reasons for those differences ..Unless your r more tolerant to these things its just no use going anywhere..
And I say the same thing after many travels worldwide and other fter's would agree, we as Indians have a much more harrowing time even before we start planning the trip ( funny and annoying visa regulations from most western countries is one eg)..
U have a problem with AI online booking and thts understood, but so do most of us with some airline or the other (U can check the airline forums for this.. Eg.. I hv problems with LH/OS/LX charging me big money for taxes and fees even on award tickets, for reducing elite benefits blah blah) ...but IMHO we should not generalize saying that the xxx country is annoying and funny..
I don't think she meant to say it in an offensive or aggressive way, nor was she applying a negative generalization. As someone who has lived in India and travelled there lots, I can assure you that I often felt the same way as her. The last time round, I couldn't leave the country without filling out my forms in 'triplicate', a term I'd never heard before. Photocopying them would have been easier. Of course, I've also come to realise that the citizens of some countries are more sensitive to outsider criticism than others, so flyinglisa, you have been duly warned.

That said, most of the people are a delight - warm, welcoming and generous. You'll have a great time. But abhilife2001 is correct - you have to learn to go with the flow. India operates at its own pace. Don't fight it.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by yulred
The last time round, I couldn't leave the country without filling out my forms in 'triplicate', a term I'd never heard before. Photocopying them would have been easier.
This is OT but..
Sometimes even I was confused with this and once asked a lawyer.. he said they take duplicates / triplicates and not photocopy since xerox's can be modified and 1 copy can differ from the other but not a carbon copy duplicate/triplicate..

edit : Saad can maybe provide the correct reason for the triplicates

Last edited by abhilife2001; Aug 14, 2010 at 3:14 am
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
This is OT but..
Sometimes even I was confused with this and once asked a lawyer.. he said they take duplicates / triplicates and not photocopy since xerox's can be modified and 1 copy can differ from the other but not a carbon copy duplicate/triplicate..

edit : Saad can maybe provide the correct reason for the triplicates
actually that is the correct reason....they only want originals & not copies....
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by saad
actually that is the correct reason....they only want originals & not copies....
Sorry for dragging this off-topic, but it just goes to show that India lives by India's rules. You would think that they would realise the benefit of typing up that one form, printing out three copies, and getting you to apply an original signature to all three copies, but they do seem to enjoy making you write down your details on identical forms three times over. Twenty minutes to do a five minute job. And why are they always so interested in knowing your father's name? A very Indian quirk, I must say.

Which reminds me, flyinglisa, if you are relatively young and your passport is 3-4 years old, check if your signature has evolved, even slightly, over time. Practice it to make sure it looks exactly like it does in your passport. I knew a young western tourist whose signature changed ever so slightly between her 20th birthday and her 24th one. Despite presenting all kinds of evidence supporting her identity (drivers license, passport etc), they just wouldn't accept it on some forms. There is a certain rigidity to officialdom there that is seldom seen elsewhere.

Edit: Ah, Abhilife, I see you meant carbon copy triplicates. I wasn't even given that option. I literally had to fill out these forms (printed off a computer in MS word format!) and fill them in manually three times over. I refrained from adding my signature till all of the forms were filled in because I was worried that they might look slightly different - a problem that many of my non-Indian colleagues have had. I was in no mood to fill in a fourth.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for amazing advice.
As usual, the FT community was a wealth of information and support.

I sincerely apologize for my "funny and annoying" comment.
It was incredibly insensitive of me.

I've been to India a few times already and dearly love the country.

I fear - as my insensitive post reflects - that I seem to have fallen victim to the typical Western way of expecting things to be done in a certain fashion.

Travel shows us that we all don't do things the same way - that's usually the very reason we travel...

I apologize again and I very much appreciate all of your responses.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Thank you all for amazing advice.
As usual, the FT community was a wealth of information and support.

I sincerely apologize for my "funny and annoying" comment.
It was incredibly insensitive of me.

I've been to India a few times already and dearly love the country.

I fear - as my insensitive post reflects - that I seem to have fallen victim to the typical Western way of expecting things to be done in a certain fashion.

Travel shows us that we all don't do things the same way - that's usually the very reason we travel...

I apologize again and I very much appreciate all of your responses.
You will have a great trip - keep us posted on what you eventually choose to do and take tons of pics and do a trip report when you get back!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yulred
And why are they always so interested in knowing your father's name? A very Indian quirk, I must say.
you are right....i have never come across this anywhere else in the world....here in india all forms will either ask for your father's name or your husband's name if you are a married woman....
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
you are right....i have never come across this anywhere else in the world....here in india all forms will either ask for your father's name or your husband's name if you are a married woman....
Basically they need one more person's essential details to tag you with, for identification, police verification or other purposes. This is possibly also because the concept of having family names and surnames is not a consistent custom across the country, where a high % of people from many (esp. southern) states use patronymics.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aniruddh77
Basically they need one more person's essential details to tag you with, for identification, police verification or other purposes. This is possibly also because the concept of having family names and surnames is not a consistent custom across the country, where a high % of people from many (esp. southern) states use patronymics.
another reason could be that there is no record of birth in most villages across the country....since there is no birth certificate, you are generally identified with your father's name....
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
another reason could be that there is no record of birth in most villages across the country....since there is no birth certificate, you are generally identified with your father's name....
Very true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.