Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Coach to Delhi - which airline is preferable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach to Delhi - which airline is preferable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Looks lke $1095.60 in W (outbound), V (return), which is heavily discounted whY. Changes to the return will incur a $75 change fee (in my recollection) and difference in fares classes if V is not available on return. This is a refundable ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks
But that much I knew...
The change fee is more like $125, plus difference in fare. But the cancellation price was an issue - and apparently was up for debate among the Air India customer service people I spoke with.

My main concern is the seats.
I see no way to assure a seat I want prior to handing over my NON-American Express card! Grrrrrr.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Flyinglisa
Thanks
But that much I knew...
The change fee is more like $125, plus difference in fare. But the cancellation price was an issue - and apparently was up for debate among the Air India customer service people I spoke with.

I see no way to assure a seat I want prior to handing over my NON-American Express card! Grrrrrr.
whenever i am booking a seat on ai, i always go through my travel agent....i get the fare rules & my seat preference before i buy the ticket....if you want i can pm the details pf my ta to you....they are based in india but will be able to help you out....

there are tons of travel agents in the US as well that deal with ai on a regular basis....i would definitely go through a ta when traveling on ai....
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
there are tons of travel agents in the US as well that deal with ai on a regular basis....i would definitely go through a ta when traveling on ai....
+1 ..

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
Looks lke $1095.60 in W (outbound), V (return), which is heavily discounted whY. Changes to the return will incur a $75 change fee (in my recollection) and difference in fares classes if V is not available on return. This is a refundable ticket.
check out this thread also which discusses AI issuing open return tickets and it was around 1150 with H class on the ongoing and W on the return but return did not have a date.. My friend now has the return date and they say if travelling on weekday then no charge, else a minor USD 40 charge ^
...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...n-tickets.html
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Hadn't occurred to me to use a travel agent... I guess I'm just used to buying direct from the airline but that seems like a great way around the problems I'm coming up against.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:31 pm

Thanks
But that much I knew...

You can choose Air India international flight seats from here:
http://home.airindia.in/SBCMS/Webpag...ents-Seat.aspx
Yes, the catch is you need your PNR number (equivalent to record locator), which you get only after making the reservation.

However, preselecting seats seems to be not that popular with AI. When I booked with them for a Nov flight few days ago, there were only 4-5 seats preselected and so I had virtually the whole Y aircraft to choose from.

As for reviews of AI USA-India nonstop flights in Y, please check airliners.net, especially the ones by abrelosojos, which is the gold standard! Those are what motivated me to take AI this time. I have taken CO EWR-DEL/BOM before, which to my opinion is decent by US standards, but nowhere visible by Asian standards!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by hobbes78
However, preselecting seats seems to be not that popular with AI. When I booked with them for a Nov flight few days ago, there were only 4-5 seats preselected and so I had virtually the whole Y aircraft to choose from.

As for reviews of AI USA-India nonstop flights in Y, please check airliners.net, especially the ones by abrelosojos, which is the gold standard! Those are what motivated me to take AI this time. I have taken CO EWR-DEL/BOM before, which to my opinion is decent by US standards, but nowhere visible by Asian standards!
+1 for the above..
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:51 am
Original Poster

You gotta love AI.

I book the ticket and get a PNR number.
Now to choose my seat.

Looking at the seat plan, the seats are in 3 groups of 3:

ABC
DEF
HJK

Where's the G???

On seatguru.com, they list it as ABC, DEF, GHI

Originally I chose H as Air India has it as an aisle.
But Seatguru says H is a middle seat!

This is too crazy. A little too much India before even getting there!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:15 am

I don't think you are going to have a fun trip with an attitude like that ...

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Perhaps.

But I think its kind of funny. And annoying.
Like India!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:34 am

seat pitch/recline is much better on AI (31 vs 34") and service/food on the JFK direct flights is reported to be very good - so for me the choice would be AI.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
to each their own, but avoiding the three cheapest classes on AA may be a whY ticket that is twice the price of an AI ticket. if $$$ is a key consideration, then AI may win out on that basis as well. and for the non-stop service to India, I find AI's J product (and whY product) to be better than AA or CO.
Yes, AI's non-stop from JFK is better than what US airlines flying to India provide in all classes of service.

But if it's coach travel, plenty of people would just as well avoid a non-stop in coach as connect somewhere in the middle.

AI on JFK-DEL/DEL-JFK nowadays is much better than what AI was a handful of years back and before. Ground handling is still an area that AI needs to improve t

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:44 pm

for what it's worth. i took the nonstop AI JFK to Delhi flight in February in business class.

It was pretty nice for the cost. For about $3k (infinitely cheaper than other airlines) you got a lieflat seat, limited movies, decent food, nice flight attendants, and plenty water for the 15 hour flight.

to lay flat at half the cost of other carriers, it worked for me.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
You gotta love AI.

Where's the G???

Well, I would go with the seat map shown on the airline's own website rather than seatguru.
Seatguru has not been updating stuff for a while since they were taken over by trip advisor.

Originally Posted by malgudi
I don't think you are going to have a fun trip with an attitude like that ...
+1

Perhaps.

But I think its kind of funny. And annoying.
Like India!
I truly hope you enjoy your trip.
Flying AI is actually not bad at all. I have done 6 sectors (some Y, some J), in the past year (either within India or India-SouthEast Asia). No big issues.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:36 pm

You gotta love AI.

I book the ticket and get a PNR number.
Now to choose my seat.

Looking at the seat plan, the seats are in 3 groups of 3:

ABC
DEF
HJK

Where's the G???

I don't know which seatguru.com you visited, but no major airline ever has/had a "I" seat! The seat numbers usually come from legacy issues, which follows from the largest aircraft in the fleet of any particular airline.

AIs largest aircraft was 744 with 10 seats abreast and so the numbering was: ABC DEFG HJK. When any airline remaps seats to smaller wide-bodies like A332, B77L, etc they always keep the window seat numbers fixed, while taking off any aisle seat. In case of AI that happens to be G and so for B777: ABC DEF HJK.

Had you flown some wide bodies with different carriers you would have easily noticed this peculiarity and not unnecessarily blamed a country for it!

Hope you enjoy your trip...

Last edited by hobbes78; Aug 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.