Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Coach to Delhi - which airline is preferable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach to Delhi - which airline is preferable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Excellent information all - thanks so much.

Will definitely look into the CO option from EWR - that may work best.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Dont take Aeroflot. I had horrible experiences with them going to India, even on a 777.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by riversair
Dont take Aeroflot. I had horrible experiences with them going to India, even on a 777.
+1..transitting in moscow .. never even think abt tht..

AI seems the most decent as told by many fellow fter's.. otherwise EK if the prices r similiar..wont pay more for a stopover flt ..
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Flyinglisa
Excellent information all - thanks so much.

Will definitely look into the CO option from EWR - that may work best.
..... BEST option is AI. Much better than CO in all respect on US-India route.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Ok... now leaning towards AI from JFK.

I love that they arrive late afternoon in Delhi - that's a huge bonus.

It just seems that those who dislike this airline REALLY dislike it.

Its hard to navigate their website or find any information about inflight services...

I shouldn't be, but I find myself worried about using an Indian carrier for such a long flight. That's silly, right?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Flying Lisa -

People definitely have a hatred for AI, and I think their one-stop flights to India are probably deserving of such hatred, because the aircraft is old and dingy...

however, the nonstop service from JFK is on brand new 777 aircraft with AVOD in each seat in whY and ubercheap fares. There is also a USB port to charge your ipod or ipod touch or play your own movies on the AVOD.

I think there are 3 meals served, with a snack tray set out in between meal services (one meal upon leaving New York, one meal while crossing Finland into CCCP, and one final meal while over Kabul)... free booze... an altogether pleasant experience. Getting in to DEL at 5pm is v convenient for an on-going connection, or for getting on to your hotel.

It's also ubercheap, including in J.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Ok... now leaning towards AI from JFK.

I love that they arrive late afternoon in Delhi - that's a huge bonus.

It just seems that those who dislike this airline REALLY dislike it.

Its hard to navigate their website or find any information about inflight services...

I shouldn't be, but I find myself worried about using an Indian carrier for such a long flight. That's silly, right?
if you are deciding between ai & any other american carrier then i would definitely go with ai....
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes - I was trying to decide between CO nonstop from EWR and AI from JFK.

Very much leaning towards AI now.

Though I wouldn't say that $1200 is "ubercheap...!"
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:52 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by saad
if you are deciding between ai & any other american carrier then i would definitely go with ai....
Never. The flights can get cancelled if some minister has a medical issue and his whole retinue has to go abroad with him.
I have been on AI (not in past 4 years after MANY terrible experiences).
I now go on AA and upgrade with a VIP. economy plus cost, C value. Lastly I get 30k RDMs and 15k elite miles.
100% bonus on AA, 100% bonus on CO/US for CO/LH, 125% on DL for AF with US carriers.
I like my free domestic upgrades and want to keep them coming. I would go CO or AA for that alone.

AA prices are about the same and you can do a Gold Challenge before the flight and get to Gold (exit rows) for the return and even Plat by the time you return if you avoid the cheapest 3 classes. That will get you 100% bonus miles for almost 2 years and free lounge for any intl flights on OW as well as better service locally.

Last edited by ffI; Aug 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Never. The flights can get cancelled if some minister has a medical issue and his whole retinue has to go abroad with him.
I now go on AA and upgrade with a VIP. economy plus cost, C value. Lastly I get 30k RDMs and 15k elite miles.
100% bonus on AA, 100% bonus on CO/US for CO/LH, 125% on DL for AF with US carriers.
I like my free domestic upgrades and want to keep them coming. I would go CO or AA for that alone.

AA prices are about the same and you can do a Gold Challenge before the flight and get to Gold (exit rows) for the return and even Plat by the time you return if you avoid the cheapest 3 classes. That will get you 100% bonus miles for almost 2 years and free lounge for any intl flights on OW as well as better service locally.
to each their own, but avoiding the three cheapest classes on AA may be a whY ticket that is twice the price of an AI ticket. if $$$ is a key consideration, then AI may win out on that basis as well. and for the non-stop service to India, I find AI's J product (and whY product) to be better than AA or CO.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ffI

just in case you didn't know, ai is now being operated by the private sector & not the government since the last couple of years....so your 4 year old experience is not reflective of the new ai....all the people who complain about ai are people who have not traveled with them for many years....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
just in case you didn't know, ai is now being operated by the private sector & not the government since the last couple of years....so your 4 year old experience is not reflective of the new ai....all the people who complain about ai are people who have not traveled with them for many years....
+1..
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

I'll tell you - trying to deal with Air India's web site and customer support does not leave me brimming with confidence here!

The site is a mess.
No way to check fare rules until AFTER you buy the ticket.
I was on the phone with customer service for HOURS today to try to sort this out. They insist on a booking reference before giving me the rules.
I insist on the rules before making a booking!
The "fare rules" page comes up showing "page 1/3" only so there are 2 pages of regulations and fees you don't know about and customer service refuses to tell me.

Also, there is no way to assess seat availability prior to booking. So after all the ordeal of purchase I could end up with a middle seat at the back of the plane!
That might prove a deal breaker for me.

And!
Being from the US, I can't pay online with American Express.

All of this plus the fact that it took OVER TWO HOURS for someone to pick up the phone at customer service today.
And I STILL don't know the fare rules.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:31 pm

I'll tell you - trying to deal with Air India's web site and customer support does not leave me brimming with confidence here!

The site is a mess.
No way to check fare rules until AFTER you buy the ticket.
I was on the phone with customer service for HOURS today to try to sort this out. They insist on a booking reference before giving me the rules.
I insist on the rules before making a booking!
The "fare rules" page comes up showing "page 1/3" only so there are 2 pages of regulations and fees you don't know about and customer service refuses to tell me.

Also, there is no way to assess seat availability prior to booking. So after all the ordeal of purchase I could end up with a middle seat at the back of the plane!
That might prove a deal breaker for me.

And!
Being from the US, I can't pay online with American Express.

All of this plus the fact that it took OVER TWO HOURS for someone to pick up the phone at customer service today.
And I STILL don't know the fare rules.
what dates do you want to fly? and in whY?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Sept 20 - Oct 27 (though I anticipate changing the return)
Yes - economy class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.