Search

Delhi Terminal 3 opens

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DFW DL
Inbound ORD-DEL AA 292 ...

All in all, which the T3 departure experience promises to be a lot better than T2, the arrivals experience is pretty much the same.
Very nice set of trip reports DFW. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Outbound DEL-LHR BA 256 (First Class)

Arrived at the airport at about 0615 for an 0815 departure. As per usual idiotic Indian police procedure, beautiful 4-lane entry road is constricted to a single lane for useless secuirity check.
Unfortunately, that's not going to change. New technology, new gadgets/toys for the police, new infrastructure for the people, but the same police with the same old mindset.

Normal cars relegated to the outside lane of dropoff zone; inner zones for taxis and VIPs.
Taxis, limousines, shuttle vans and buses being given preference or private cars is quite common, and with good reason, at many airports.

Usual entry drill (show itinerary and ID to CISF guard).
Nothing new there also. It adds another link that serves little purpose, except not allowing hordes of F&R. This problems of F&R would be more severe in India.
Monitors inside the door direct pax to check-in zones for each flight, which are clearly marked (this part of the terminal is very much like BKK or HKG). BA check-in was very smooth; agents apologized for the lounge not being ready and gave me a letter from the BA station chief also apologizing for this.
Lounge not being ready is not good. After all the fanfare and claims of a world class airport, there is no lounge for First Class passengers? But this is typical. DIAL beating its drum prematurely with little substance. An airport is world class not because its builder says so, but when users think it is.

Next step was immigration...quite a few desks, about half od which were manned at 0700. If there was a Fast Track for J/F pax I did not see it. Cleared through in about 5 minutes to security. Because of the regular flow from immigration, the security wait was minimal. Unless the number of stations manned gets out of whack, there shouldn't ever be too long of a wait for security, which is a big improvement over T2.
I hope they introduce a fast track line.

Security was the same drill as T2...Xray, magnetometer, manual pat down. They have talked about getting full body scanners but I didn't see any. Usual drill of getting the stamp from security on your carryon bag tags.
Absence of whole body scanners is one thing I won't complain about.

Immediately after security there is duty free. Usual assortment of booze, smokes, potions and lotions. They are in the process of putting in a nice cigar room (Havanas) and a premium Scotch whisky area. For those who don't know, Delhi has some of the best duty free prices on booze and smokes anywhere in the world.
That's true. Duty free in the U.S. is a joke. BKK and SIN are pretty good too. I haven;t been to HKG in a long time so I can't say anything about HKG. If you are travelling to the U.S. and have a connection in the U.S., make sure you have the means to pack it in your checked luggage after customs inspection or you will end up losing it. This goes for many other airports too. It's easier to use duty free when arriving in India.

Exiting duty free, one enters the main terminal area. Directly in front is the Smoke House Cafe, run by the purveyors of South Delhi's excellent Smoke House Grill. This by itself represents a 1000% improvement over the F&B offerings at T2 airside. There is also a large Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (the temporary BA lounge) and a Choko-La on the ground level, as well as several brand-name retail outlets (not all of these are open yet).
That's good news. I rarely eat at airports prior to departure. My stomach can;t take it until I am relaxed.

The lounges are on the upper level. The Kingfisher Lounge, which apparently will serve all the oneworld airlines, is scheduled to open in mid-August. The ITC Green Lounge and the Plaza Premium Lounge are open for business. The latter looks like a pay-in facility, which the former is a much improved successor to the old ITC Welcomgroup Lounge in T2. Much has been learned from the BLR airport experience - the ITC lounge has a power outlet at every seat.
Great to hear that they have learnt something. But a swanky world class terminal needs more than three lounges.

Also on the upper level is the food court, which features a McDonald's (sadly no actual burgers yet...India has a ways to go in that regards), Domino's Pizza, assorted Indian restaurants (Curry Kitchen, Idli.com, and the curiously named "Four Fingers"), Noodle Wok, and a multi-cuisine restaurant called Connexions. Not all of these were open yet. There was also a smoker's lounge on the upper level.
Well, not being able to get burgers in McDonald's is no big loss. Since when does McDonald's serve real burgers anyway? The very presence of McDonald's there ought to be acknowledged gratefully by those who enjoy the stuff served there.

As one walks from the terminal area to the departure concourses, there is a sign for the airport hotel, although it wasn't clear if that was open yet. It is supposed to have 60 rooms, which unless they screw up the management somehow it should be sold out every night.
That will be good for those with overnight layovers in DEL.

The international piers are to the right side of the terminal building. Upon entering the pier, my first impression was the spaciousness...in fact, it was more like "look at all this wasted space". I am sure that will change over time as DIAL figures out that they can sell concession space in the departure piers (indeed, a coffee shop or two might be in order...the piers are very long), but for now, things are nice and uncrowded. There is an enormous Buddha statue at the entrance which was a favorite spot for picture taking among the departing pax.
Vast empty spaces now will provide room for more shops. restuarants, cafes or lounges in future as traffic grows.

Gates 1-14 are to the right and 15-26 are to the left. My deaprture gate was 7 so I had to hike about halfway out the right hand pier...an advertised walk of 20 minutes from security. The well-designed moving walkways (one exit per gate) allowed my to make it in less than half that time. Caveat - the walkways only move in one direction, so any hike back in to the terminal will take twice as long.
That's great. At many airports, the exit from the moving walkways is not near the gate. Either you have to walk up, or go beyond the gate on the walkway and walk back.

Curiously, the piers are carpeted rather than tiled, which makes hauling rollaboards a little more difficult and sets them up for a long term maintenance challenge. The color scheme is a light gold, which with the ample ambient light makes ther piers seem even more light and open.
Agreed that keeping the carpet clean is a challenge, and that it makes it difficult to pull your rollaboard. Nice tiles cleaned with spic and span or some such thing will also serve the purpose of giving a feeling of openness. The gold colour will look dirty in no time.

Gates 1-3 have enclosed waiting lounges and these will be used for flights to the USA and other destinations with secondary security screening requirements. The rest of the gates are open, and a few look like they are bus gates rather than aerobridges.
CO and AA. Who else requires secondary screening at the gate?

Boarding was via two down ramps and a long corridor. Nothing really of interest to report about the boarding process...it's still India, after all.
I have seen reports of the ramp (aerobridge) being rather narrow. What was your impression?

In general, there were a few fit and finish issues still being worked out. Some cracked floor tiles upstairs in the food court, some water leakage from the ceiling, and still a lot of shops yet to open. But for two days after opening, a pretty good start.
I hope things get better soon. But broken tiles and leaky ceiling is not good.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
There is also a large Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (the temporary BA lounge)
i guess this is the end of any lounge activity for me when traveling with my wife....is she spots either a starbucks or coffee bean then we never make it to the lounge....she like to sit at either one of these places for hours....
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
i guess this is the end of any lounge activity for me when traveling with my wife....is she spots either a starbucks or coffee bean then we never make it to the lounge....she like to sit at either one of these places for hours....
and both
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
and both
don't even get me started on that....
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
So it's the morning of the 15th in DEL now, is the IT lounge open? Anyone try it yet? Reviews? Pics? Etc?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:42 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Nothing I have read makes me think this is world class for connections.
The higher level for departures is a concept taken from UK T4-T5.
These guys should take one look at ORD, or LHR or FRA.

If I ever have to go to India, I would MUCH rather change in DXB, SIN, LHR, FRA or even CDG!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by ffI
If I ever have to go to India, I would MUCH rather change in DXB, SIN, LHR, FRA or even CDG!
I guess its good they didnt look at LHR..Many many ppl are just scared to fly thru it because of the condition their baggage makes it in to the destination ( if the baggage makes it that far )
CDG-- less said the better..
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
Nothing I have read makes me think this is world class for connections.
The higher level for departures is a concept taken from UK T4-T5.

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I guess its good they didnt look at LHR..Many many ppl are just scared to fly thru it because of the condition their baggage makes it in to the destination ( if the baggage makes it that far )
CDG-- less said the better..
give it time....its unfair to compare airports in the US & europe with airports in india....
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: LH Senator/EK Gold
I had the pleasure to arriving into T-3 on Friday from DXB. Here are some preliminary impressions.

1. The terminal is still very much work in progress.
a. As others have noted the moment one leaves the baggage hall you run into a construction site.
b. Until the Metro Station is ready, accessing the car park will involve a long walk in sweltering conditions.
c. The quality of workmanship in some cases is requires closer attention. (e.g. peeling paint, glass fittings splattered with paint, broken tiles, etc.) Doesn't diminish the quality of workmanship, but certainly diminishes the overall experience. I hope they will fix all these things once the whole airport is completed.

2.Functionality
Positives:
a. The arrivals layout is very intuitive. Just follow the direction of the travellators.
b. Very spacious and airy interiors.
c. Very comfotable transit area. (I think the 3 hour rule before they let you into the departure area is stupid)
d. Many many immigration counters. Indeed the immigration area is well lit,spacious and quite beautiful. The immigration officers are couteous and professional as always (and expressed concern about how far people had to walk)
e. Mutiple aerobridges at each gate makes for smoother disembarkation. The bridge is rather narrow. Comparable what one experiences at LHR T3 or DUS or the older bridges in AMS.
f. I recieved my priority tagged luggage with 5 minutes of clearing immigration.
g. Spacious well signposted Baggage and Arrivals hall. Lots of space to stand around the carousel.

Negatives
a. The carpet - for those of us who travel on business with hand luggage only, it really slows one down. Still it brightens up the piers.
b. The access point from pier to immigration area is poorly designed. It causes crowding at immigration counters closest to the escalator and holds up movement at the base of the escalator.
c. X-Ray machines at point of exit from customs area. They didn't have them in T2, why the f*#k slow down passengers in this more 'efficient' airport? (Or maybe they only use these for flights from DXB)

Overall, very functional indeed. I hope the fit and finish will be as good as HYD or even BLR once complete.

I'll report on departures tomorrow.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:40 am
Suspended

Commencement of domestic operations of T3 has been put off until after the Commonwealth Games. It's true that the T3 has just begun operations but then touting its horn before it has settled into operations is asking for ridicule.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELYOW
I had the pleasure to arriving into T-3 on Friday from DXB. Here are some preliminary impressions.

1. The terminal is still very much work in progress.
a. As others have noted the moment one leaves the baggage hall you run into a construction site.
b. Until the Metro Station is ready, accessing the car park will involve a long walk in sweltering conditions.
c. The quality of workmanship in some cases is requires closer attention. (e.g. peeling paint, glass fittings splattered with paint, broken tiles, etc.) Doesn't diminish the quality of workmanship, but certainly diminishes the overall experience. I hope they will fix all these things once the whole airport is completed.

2.Functionality
Positives:
a. The arrivals layout is very intuitive. Just follow the direction of the travellators.
b. Very spacious and airy interiors.
c. Very comfotable transit area. (I think the 3 hour rule before they let you into the departure area is stupid)
d. Many many immigration counters. Indeed the immigration area is well lit,spacious and quite beautiful. The immigration officers are couteous and professional as always (and expressed concern about how far people had to walk)
e. Mutiple aerobridges at each gate makes for smoother disembarkation. The bridge is rather narrow. Comparable what one experiences at LHR T3 or DUS or the older bridges in AMS.
f. I recieved my priority tagged luggage with 5 minutes of clearing immigration.
g. Spacious well signposted Baggage and Arrivals hall. Lots of space to stand around the carousel.
Won't comment about the positives, because a world class terminal has got to have some positives.

Negatives
a. The carpet - for those of us who travel on business with hand luggage only, it really slows one down. Still it brightens up the piers.
Agreed. Any comments about the carpet will be met by T3 apologists with name calling or ratioinlastion that it's a noise abatement measure.

b. The access point from pier to immigration area is poorly designed. It causes crowding at immigration counters closest to the escalator and holds up movement at the base of the escalator.
It's even dangerous. when all lines are deep enough to reach the escalator, people will crowd at the bottom of the escalator, making it downright dangerous of people still coming down. I have almost been stepped over by people behind me in a similar situation in Washington D.C. metro.
c. X-Ray machines at point of exit from customs area. They didn't have them in T2, why the f*#k slow down passengers in this more 'efficient' airport? (Or maybe they only use these for flights from DXB)
Actually, they had been installed at T2 many years ago to catch people who brought dutiable items. The X-ray machines were not always used.
I'll report on departures tomorrow.
Will look forward to it.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:53 am
Suspended

Your wife has trained you well.
My wife is very cooperative. We must have saved thousands of $$$'s on F&B at airports, when my wife and I travelled a lot with the kids, as we lived in different cities. She refuses to pay $5 plus for a cup of coffee to Starbucks and the like.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Your wife has trained you well.
My wife is very cooperative. We must have saved thousands of $$$'s on F&B at airports, when my wife and I travelled a lot with the kids, as we lived in different cities. She refuses to pay $5 plus for a cup of coffee to Starbucks and the like.
lucky you....as it is my wife hates to sit in the lounge....she claims its very boring....given the fact that her weakness is coffee (she has well over half a dozen cups a day), if we spot a good coffee shop at any airport then that completely ends my chances of making it to the lounge....
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:12 am

if we spot a good coffee shop at any airport then that completely ends my chances of making it to the lounge....
maybe u can go to the lounge and leave her in the coffee shop.. but then u risk a much higher bill for the DF items h

Originally Posted by Yaatri
this post will be shown to my wife today evening
My wife has also been cooperative till now atleast.. many a times the LH lounge dragon does not allow me to take her to the lounge and then I go in for a quick coffee and a bite while she goes into DF or a coffee shop and then I join her there..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.