Search

Delhi Terminal 3 opens

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BlrGuy
Considering the generally abysmal quality of reporting by Indian papers these days, I doubt the veracity of some of the claims made in the article. The lack of something so basic on an opening day within thousands of pax using the facilities would have precipitated much more indignation. Sorry, I don't believe the alleged statement of one passenger. The claim that there are no bathrooms and water within accessible reach is not credible at all.
While there is quite good reason to be skeptical about the veracity of some claims in papers and -- more so -- in the sensationalist private Indian TV channels, such an issue as trouble accessing functional bathrooms and commercially-packaged bottled drinking water sounds pretty credible when a passenger arrives into DEL at the domestic-only terminal on a domestic flight on one ticket and then reaches the entrance for T3 with more than 4 hours of transit time before departing DEL T3 on another ticket. Even if the travel is all on one ticketed PNR, I'm sure that doesn't solve all the problems of this nature.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Considering the generally abysmal quality of reporting by Indian papers these days, I doubt the veracity of some of the claims made in the article. The lack of something so basic on an opening day within thousands of pax using the facilities would have precipitated much more indignation. Sorry, I don't believe the alleged statement of one passenger. The claim that there are no bathrooms and water within accessible reach is not credible at all.

That there's no restroom within a lounge is not unusual - that's the case with the plaza premium lounge in HKG as well.
We are not talking about absence of a restroom in a lounge. We are talking about a passenger, having arrived from KTM, having to wait in an area where no access to food or bathroom was provided for an 11 hour layover.

I understand the celebratory mood in DEL at the opening of T3, after many years of having to do with T2. But turning a blind eye to problems is going to turn T3 into a big T2.

Which part of
"I have just got in from Kathmandu, I have an 11 hour stopover and the only place I am allowed is a visitors' lounge which is without food and bathroom," said Alex, another passenger.
do you not understand?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:52 pm

Not sure if Yaatri ever tried to connect at T2, but the description sounds exactly like the old transit facilities there. It was actually much easier and more pleasant to completely exit the terminal and re-enter (provided one had the proper visas, of course).

As witnessed by last Fall's tourist visa fiasco, the Government of India simply doesn't have a clue about modern tourism and air travel. One would have had higher hopes for the privately-led development at DIAL, but even they can't control the outdated thinking of Customs, Immigration, and the CISF.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Which part of do you not understand?
I do NOT give credibility to either of those press quotes; they sound far too unrealistic to make any sense. If you choose to take them at face value, by all means do. I certainly don't.

I give far more credibility to GMR's ability to figure out something so basic as the need for water or access to a bathroom - they've earned that credibility for it to be assigned at face value - than that of the press to claim something that essentially implies completely the contrary, particularly considering their sensationalist nature.

An international-international connection has access to the entire transit area, provided their luggage has been interlined through. The only situation I can imagine where 'Alex' might have been sequestered is that he landed in Delhi with neither interlined luggage nor an Indian visa. Under those circumstances he'd be in trouble anywhere.

The essential implication of those article quotes is that there's no access water/restroom access before or after security. Makes for great 'Chaos at terminal opening!' fillers, complete with 'quotes'. But the way I looked at it is to examine the facts: each section of the international departure pier has half a dozen restrooms and water fountains. The departure concourse before security has another half a dozen restrooms plus a range of food and drinks places - the interactive terminal map on the website shows all this. The article implies that effectively every last one of them was inoperable or inaccessible. Yeah right. I don't believe it. If the press wants to sensationalize, they ought to start by making up stuff that sounds somewhat credible.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: DL-Platinum; Priority Club-Gold; Marriott-Silver
A beautiful facility

Just flew in on AF business class from DEL-CDG and then off to JFK. They promise that you will be at the boarding gate within 45 minutes of check-in.

Took me exactly that; check-in was fine but a slow immigration officer dragged down the process. And it's a long walk to the gate.

Many stores have not yet opened, and the lounges were crowded (but the food was plentiful and service was fine). Wifi access was good.

It looks as nice as Changi or Incheon even though the service leaves something to be desired. But for someone who remembers the horrid days of Palam Airport in the 1970s and 1980s, Delhi has come a long way!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mollykhan
Just flew in on AF business class from DEL-CDG and then off to JFK. They promise that you will be at the boarding gate within 45 minutes of check-in.

Took me exactly that; check-in was fine but a slow immigration officer dragged down the process. And it's a long walk to the gate.

Many stores have not yet opened, and the lounges were crowded (but the food was plentiful and service was fine). Wifi access was good.

It looks as nice as Changi or Incheon even though the service leaves something to be desired. But for someone who remembers the horrid days of Palam Airport in the 1970s and 1980s, Delhi has come a long way!
welcome to ft mollykhan....thanks for the info....

i'm in between a rare period where i have no international trip coming up for the next 6-8 weeks....in a way i'm glad i'm not traveling right now....i hope they have sorted out all these nagging issues by the time i have my next international flight....
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:42 am

Flying out to LHR in the morning...have my fingers crossed!

I flew into BKK-Suvarnabhumi 3 days after it opened (the first time) so tomorrow will be an interesting comparison.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by DFW DL
Flying out to LHR in the morning...have my fingers crossed!

I flew into BKK-Suvarnabhumi 3 days after it opened (the first time) so tomorrow will be an interesting comparison.
keep us posted on your experience....
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
keep us posted on your experience....
+1..

I do NOT give credibility to either of those press quotes; they sound far too unrealistic to make any sense. If you choose to take them at face value, by all means do. I certainly don't.

The essential implication of those article quotes is that there's no access water/restroom access before or after security. Makes for great 'Chaos at terminal opening!' fillers, complete with 'quotes'. But the way I looked at it is to examine the facts: each section of the international departure pier has half a dozen restrooms and water fountains. The departure concourse before security has another half a dozen restrooms plus a range of food and drinks places - the interactive terminal map on the website shows all this. The article implies that effectively every last one of them was inoperable or inaccessible. Yeah right. I don't believe it. If the press wants to sensationalize, they ought to start by making up stuff that sounds somewhat credible.
completley agree with u.. news in india is nothing but sensationalism.. so so many channels but so little news..
But unfortunately, this useless sensationalism is working for them , similiar to those saas - bahu soaps which the less said of the better
But I am going OT now so we wait for more reviews of T3..
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:01 am
Suspended

I understand. Only those reports that use swanky and/or world class in every other breath are credible. Do you know for sure it's sensationalism and that there is no truth to that report?

I give far more credibility to GMR's ability to figure out something so basic as the need for water or access to a bathroom - they've earned that credibility for it to be assigned at face value - than that of the press to claim something that essentially implies completely the contrary, particularly considering their sensationalist nature.
Oh right. Everything has been done just perfect. There was no postponement of dates. The terminal was operational on the day it was inaugurated. It was just the sensational press that did not report it. The reports of operations beginning on the 14th were nothing but an attempt to sensationalise.

An international-international connection has access to the entire transit area, provided their luggage has been interlined through. The only situation I can imagine where 'Alex' might have been sequestered is that he landed in Delhi with neither interlined luggage nor an Indian visa. Under those circumstances he'd be in trouble anywhere.
Does what's supposed to happen, always happen? BY your logic, the airport will not have any problems whatsoever because GMR has designed it so well.
Even if baggage is not interlined, transit desk can still manage to keep you in transit. The domestic part of T3 is still not operating. But that's sensationalism too.

The essential implication of those article quotes is that there's no access water/restroom access before or after security.
That's why I asked you which part of the quote you did not understand. You changed the quote and my wiords to suit your interpretation and you call report unreliable? I think it's your comprehension that's unreliable.

There is a difference between there's and there was. Furthermore you added that the report meant that there was no access to food or bathrooms anywhere in the terminal. This interpretation of yours is garbage in entirety.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 30, 2010 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
+1..

completley agree with u.. news in india is nothing but sensationalism.. so so many channels but so little news..
But unfortunately, this useless sensationalism is working for them , similiar to those saas - bahu soaps which the less said of the better
But I am going OT now so we wait for more reviews of T3..
You are right about that. But only press can sensationalise. But every claim made by a contractor is Gospel.
The kind of problem pointed out is very credible. That any negative report is sensationalism and nothing but, is being blind. Hey GMR built it. It must be perfect.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right about that. But only press can sensationalise. But every claim made by a contractor is Gospel.
The kind of problem pointed out is very credible. That any negative report is sensationalism and nothing but, is being blind. Hey GMR built it. It must be perfect.
yaatri, i mostly agree with you....i would have been surprised had the airport opened without any problems....i'm sure there are a number of issues they will have to sort out & fix as the days go by....the press does seem to sensationalise the issue but there is some degree of truth to it....on the other hand, i think gmr has done a pretty good job....its a positive step forward....
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Do you know for sure it's sensationalism and that there is no truth to that report?
I'll choose whom to give more credibility to, and you're free to do likewise. I've already made my point, and provided my reasoning. There's nothing in your response that drives me to reevaluate my original post, so I've nothing more to debate on the topic.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:42 am

Am at the airport today, not very impressed with the operation, although willing to withhold judgment until the terminal is complete.

A few problems:
  1. About 10% of the windows in the still under construction covered walkway between the parking garage / metro station and the terminal are cracked.
  2. As best as I can tell (haven’t been past check-in gates yet), I’m guessing they still haven’t figured out that passengers want electrical outlets to charge laptops, phones, etc. There was more or less nothing in the old international terminal, I’m guessing they’re still clueless.
  3. The bus ride between the domestic terminal and the new T3 makes me feel like I’ve landed in LGA/MDW/LGW and transferring to JFK/ORD/LHR. Perhaps not quite that bad, but certainly worse than before. I hope this is only a temporary situation, I’d hate to be in the middle of a tight domestic to international connection that’s running late.
  4. Transit facilities for long domestic to international transfers are still pretty absurd.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
yaatri, i mostly agree with you....i would have been surprised had the airport opened without any problems....i'm sure there are a number of issues they will have to sort out & fix as the days go by....the press does seem to sensationalise the issue but there is some degree of truth to it....on the other hand, i think gmr has done a pretty good job....its a positive step forward....
I too agree with you on most issues saad. There are sensational media in every country. That many Indian journalists need to mature, is also true. Proper transit facility is such a simple and essential function, that does not depend on quirks of mechanical systems, software glitches, lack of telephone hook ups, improper interfacing of communication networks or computers, that to not have it on the opening day is a major lapse. Apparently, it continues even after the first day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.