Wiki Posts
Search

AI's direct service to CCU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by hobbes78
I think AI is still in the process of finalizing the late night connecting flights to other cities in India from its DEL hub. I had booked a ORD-CCU ticket on AI to travel on Nov 30. So originally I had the following connections:

Air India # 126
Chicago O'Hare International (ORD) to Delhi Indira Gandhi Intl (DEL)
Departure (ORD): November 30, 2:45 PM CST
Arrival (DEL): December 1, 5:00 PM IST

Air India # 102
Delhi Indira Gandhi Intl (DEL) to Kolkata Netaji Subhas Chandra (CCU)
Departure (DEL): December 1, 8:00 PM IST (evening)

As has been mentioned AI 102 from JFK does not continue to CCU any more.

But I had bought this ticket before this winter schedule mess showed up. Now, the interesting thing is AI hasn't yet cancelled my ticket. It's just my DEL-CCU leg now shows something like pending. So I think AI is still in the process of finalizing the DEL connections with other cities for passengers arriving on flights like AI 102, AI 126.

Just a note of caution, under the existing winter schedule, the last AI / IC flight from DEL to CCU is at 5PM. There are a few options on 9W and IT at the 8pm - 9pm departure range. You may want to get your flight re-ticketed to DEL only if you don't want to rot overnight in DEL until 6AM for the on-going CCU flight.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Yes, you guessed it right. One note of caution. I don't know if AI will do it, but even the same flight nu,ber could mean change of aircraft. For example AI 102 sold as a direct flight ORD-CCU would start in ORD on, say a B777, stop in DEL and flight 102 would continue on to CCU on a smaller aircraft, say A330 or even A 320 depending on loads in that market. This way, CCU bound pax arriving from other destinations could transfer on to the AI 102 in DEL. U.S. airlines do this all the time.
very true....i have experienced this before....
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
Just a note of caution, under the existing winter schedule, the last AI / IC flight from DEL to CCU is at 5PM. There are a few options on 9W and IT at the 8pm - 9pm departure range. You may want to get your flight re-ticketed to DEL only if you don't want to rot overnight in DEL until 6AM for the on-going CCU flight.
Yes, you are right. There are only three options in the current schedule with which AI can do interlining. There is 9W 2282 and IT 603 both of which depart around 6PM. But none of these are realistic to me, since AI 126 is supposed to land only at 5PM+delays, coupled with the current early closure of check-in desks (I will need to re check-in my luggage). The only option is 9W 914 at 8:40PM.

I had booked through Orbitz and they insist my ticket is still confirmed until CCU. Of course, AI is telling them so, since I checked my CC statement that AI is the actual ticketing authority. (I also have a connecting flight from LAX on UA in the same ticket) Then again T3 should be a slightly better place to rot, I presume than the T1A/B of yesteryears, where I have done this 7-8 hours wait quite a few times!

Anyway, I'll wait for few weeks to see if AI introduces any same night connector. If not, a fight with Orbitz/AI is due
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Time is money but for LH ur time needs to match their 3 flights a week to make the money
Das heisst, Abhilfe schaffen, mein lieber Herr.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by FedUp2
Das heisst, Abhilfe schaffen, mein lieber Herr.
though I m in CEE, I dont know so fluent german.. but thanks to translate@google, I see wht u meant
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

though I m in CEE, I dont know so fluent german.. but thanks to translate@google, I see wht u meant
aami to apnaar chhodmo naam dekhe german bhashay likhlaam
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
good stuff....
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:51 pm

bhujlaam na aapni ki bolte chaiychen.. main aapki baat samaj nahin paaya ..( this is my mother tongue)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
AI may introduce a domestic flight to CCU from DEL for later arriving flights. The CCU connector to/from DEL is to LHR since many W Bengal politicians want a flight to LHR (either nonstop, 1 stop or dedicated connector).

Since non stop is not viable, and 1 stop would be difficult, dedicated connector is the only option.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
mamatadi will care only if there's a proposal for a direct train from kolkota to new york. she isnt in praful patel's slot so neither she nor her party will care
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by hserus
mamatadi will care only if there's a proposal for a direct train from kolkota to new york. she isnt in praful patel's slot so neither she nor her party will care
who is mamatadi?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
who is mamatadi?
Mamata Banerjee, India's Railway Minister. "Di" is a respectful Bengali suffix meaning "elder sister".

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 1, 2010 at 12:10 am
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by hserus
u forgot to add.. she will say its for the goreeb log at specially discounted fares.. ..remember the gareeb specials started which are fully airconditioned !!!!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

u forgot to add.. she will say its for the goreeb log at specially discounted fares.. ..remember the gareeb specials started which are fully airconditioned !!!!
^^
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hyho61
AI may introduce a domestic flight to CCU from DEL for later arriving flights. The CCU connector to/from DEL is to LHR since many W Bengal politicians want a flight to LHR (either nonstop, 1 stop or dedicated connector).

Since non stop is not viable, and 1 stop would be difficult, dedicated connector is the only option.
What's a dedicated connector? DO you mean people on CCU-DEL can connect to no flight other than DEL-LHR? That's plain silly. Politicians making silly demands on AI is the reason it needs to be privatised, although, Indian politicians will still try to influence operational decisions.
What could be done is to have one flight number from CCU-LHR with a change of equipment in DEL. That would give them a direct flight between LHR and CCU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.