Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Let FlyI Die: When Do You Believe It Will Happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let FlyI Die: When Do You Believe It Will Happen?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
What sort of status did you have at the time? Judging by your user name i am guessing you worked for indy. Anyway, as a customer I dont think about anything other than long wait lines and the layout to the customer, because i am the customer.
I had two different employers when I lived "out that way" near IAD. One was ACA, and the other was another non-airline operater on the field. At ACA I used the airline employee parking lot, and my other employer had its own private lot with shuttle service to the main terminal. I was required to have a SIDA badge to work for both companies; the badge allowed me access to the terminal via the employee security line. Come to think of it, I used IAD once or twice before my employ there, but I never parked there and don't remember the lines being too atrocious. But those days (travel before working there) were five or six years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Exclamation Last Date of Flying Independence?

Any Guess what Date Independence Air will go out of Business?

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 22, 2005 at 8:33 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following five mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:06 pm

Do you want indy to go under? Do you want ticket prices to go up? Do you want all those people to loose their jobs?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Lightbulb

Its a matter of days I think..you didnt answer the question..The question was what date do you think Independence Air will Cease operation?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone want to start a pool? Put in a dollar and pick a day, and whoever gets the right day wins the lot!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:09 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by oopsz
Anyone want to start a pool? Put in a dollar and pick a day, and whoever gets the right day wins the lot!
Is any of this really necessary? Everyone knows the company is in pretty bad shape. And many people expect that this company could go under. But there are thousands of jobs at stake here. I don't find it too amusing, and I doubt that their employees do either, that you are waging on when the employees could lose their jobs. Somehow, I don't think you would be laughing if you knew your job was at stake, and people were enjoying your misery. This may go back to elementary school, but I would remember the GOLDEN RULE if I were you.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by prhs1989
Is any of this really necessary? Everyone knows the company is in pretty bad shape. And many people expect that this company could go under. But there are thousands of jobs at stake here. I don't find it too amusing, and I doubt that their employees do either, that you are waging on when the employees could lose their jobs. Somehow, I don't think you would be laughing if you knew your job was at stake, and people were enjoying your misery. This may go back to elementary school, but I would remember the GOLDEN RULE if I were you.

Thank You prhs1989. At least someone got my point. It's not right and just bad manners. To those who makes these bad or distasteful comments... How would you feel if you were in these employees situation?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ILv2Fly
Thank You prhs1989. At least someone got my point. It's not right and just bad manners. To those who makes these bad or distasteful comments... How would you feel if you were in these employees situation?
Thanks from one of the employees! It's a pretty said situation when you start the New Year off with the prospect of having to find a new job. I keep on hoping that we can pull through, but I'm prepared for the worst.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:55 am

I think everyone feels for the employees, no one wants to see someone else lose their job. Lets keep in mind DH is already down about half its work force from layoffs. When we talk about when DH will have its last flight, its not as if we are wanting it to 'die.' In fact its the people in this forum who flew the airline the most and wanted to see it succeed. However, we can't just ignore something if we don't like it. That is not a way we can resolve problems. So, do I want to see indy shut its doors? No. Am I interested in hearing what other people think about the whole situation so i can make an informed decision as to whether or not I should make a reservation past January 4th or 5th? Absolutely.

Originally Posted by DH Employee
Thanks from one of the employees! It's a pretty said situation when you start the New Year off with the prospect of having to find a new job. I keep on hoping that we can pull through, but I'm prepared for the worst.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:50 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
FlyI let me down...

I hate to say it, but today I booked tickets on UA from IAD to BOS for flights that I already have tickets on DH for.

Last week, FlyI downgraded the plane from an A319 to an RJ, completely filling the plane. As a result, my seat was downgraded to a last row window with no reclining seat. No overhead storage. Plane stuffed to the gills.

Since a big part of the reason I was flying with DH was their comfortable and clean planes, I decided that if things are getting too tough for them to fly those 319's then I won't tempt fate and miss my meetings. There are also staffing problems at BOS. There was no one at the DH flight counter and only one person at their gate. That person also had to run down to the tarmac and handle some paperwork to get the flight out. If you came to the gate late, there was no way to get onto the plane because the jetway door was closed. Normally, UA would at least have one person at the gate to handle stragglers. DH didn't have that person.

I know that people wanted DH to win and I count myself among those people, but I'm afraid that the death spiral has begun. My guess is that the Mesa people have looked at DH and decided that it would be easier to start from scratch than it would be to buy this company whole. Every day that passes that doesn't include an announcement of a deal is a day that the company becomes more deperate and that doesn't make you a strong negotiator.

It hurt me to buy those tickets but at least it was on my second favorite airline, UA. The flights on UA were close to 100% more expensive than DH for the exact same route, but at least they have been remarkably consistent on keeping the metal the same.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA1K
the ironic view here is that when DH started, UA was in bad shape. now UA is ready to blow out of BK and DH might not even be around to see that happen.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mid
ILast week, FlyI downgraded the plane from an A319 to an RJ.

Just a guess... but I believe they probably downgraded the flight to an RJ because they had just enough to fill it (because people are afraid to book on Flyi) and there was probably no need to take the A319.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1K, CO PLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG PLAT, Hyatt PLAT
I wish my very best to the men and women that are FlyI and thank them for the valuable service and comfort they have provided me over the year - and will provide me until January 6, 2006.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:52 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ILv2Fly
I woulda done what most of my pals over there did and found another job when the finding was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.