Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Interest?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:50 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
Well there is allways the "my flight lives in 5 minutes i can't wait in this line" method. Anyway does anyone know if DCA has an elite line?
Which terminal/pier? DCA has four different ones. Terminal A which I use has one.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Correct me if i am run both both IAD and DCA are run by the DC transit authority. So if they could get an elite line at one airport why not another?

Originally Posted by DHAST
Which terminal/pier? DCA has four different ones. Terminal A which I use has one.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:21 am

Correct me if i am run both both IAD and DCA are run by the DC transit authority. So if they could get an elite line at one airport why not another?
A little too much to drink when you wrote that ? Technically, you're wrong It's not the DC transit authority that runs the airport, the transit authority runs the subway and bus system in the city, with other regions running other bus systems.

DCA/IAD are run by the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA). Reference the above posts in this thread and over on the various UA threads on the issue -- nobody seems to know why there are no elite lines at IAD. I'm not sure if the B/C piers at DCA have elite lines, but I know NW pretty much controls the A terminal at DCA. But like I said, nobody here knows the answer to that question, so asking about it is futile.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Well I haven't had too much when I wrote that, but I'll be going to San Juan on DH tomorrow and while I am there I will not be posting because I will be in a constant intoxicated state.

A little too much to drink when you wrote that ? Technically, you're wrong It's not the DC transit authority that runs the airport, the transit authority runs the subway and bus system in the city, with other regions running other bus systems.

DCA/IAD are run by the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA). Reference the above posts in this thread and over on the various UA threads on the issue -- nobody seems to know why there are no elite lines at IAD. I'm not sure if the B/C piers at DCA have elite lines, but I know NW pretty much controls the A terminal at DCA. But like I said, nobody here knows the answer to that question, so asking about it is futile.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Well there is allways the "my flight lives in 5 minutes i can't wait in this line" method. Anyway does anyone now if DCA has an elite line?
They do for US Airways at least. Only been there once and can't comment about other terminals.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ILv2Fly
If you are uninterested in the airline then why are you on this board?
Education in life means expanded your horizones to things you aren't life/aren't interested in.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 1:20 pm
Suspended

I know elite status is more than F class upgrades, but check over on the boards of airlines that offer unlimited free domestic upgrades... the % of times one gets upgraded seems to be a deal breaker with airline loyalty. That and "too many elites, no preboard today" seem to be the biggest complaints.

In reality though - most fliers, especially mid and top tier fliers get upgraded on most routes. There are a group of fliers which complain since they fly those routes with enormous numbers of elite fliers and fly at the busiest business traveler times.

My signiature shows my upgrade success in the past year on US Airways but it's basically about 90% and most of that time was spent at the lowest level of elite, Silver. Yes, I tried to schedule flights with bigger F cabins and I don't fly the busiest of business routes but have been upgrade into and out of LGA as a Silver on sold out flights, etc.

My United Premier (also lowest level) mother is constantly upgraded on ORD-PHL - a prime business route.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by sts603
In reality though - most fliers, especially mid and top tier fliers get upgraded on most routes. There are a group of fliers which complain since they fly those routes with enormous numbers of elite fliers and fly at the busiest business traveler times.

My signiature shows my upgrade success in the past year on US Airways but it's basically about 90% and most of that time was spent at the lowest level of elite, Silver. Yes, I tried to schedule flights with bigger F cabins and I don't fly the busiest of business routes but have been upgrade into and out of LGA as a Silver on sold out flights, etc.

My United Premier (also lowest level) mother is constantly upgraded on ORD-PHL - a prime business route.
Well, you have to understand that I was referring to NW's program specifically, and not necessarily UA/US or anybody else. See, NW's program gives free upgrades to EVERYBDOY. Are you really going to pop TWO 500-milers to upgrade ORD-PHL or anything just over an hour in flight? I wouldn't.

NW west coast elites have it tough. With the shortest one way flight being 1500 miles (out of LAX anyway), tack on a connection and you have 500 miles minimums, you've got a 4000 mile round trip flight. Do it through DTW and you have 5000 miles roundtrip. At those rates, just 5-6 trips makes one a silver. That means if you actually do a decent amount of flying, you hit top tier without too much effort. I made PLAT this year on, oh, 13 domestic roundtrips.

So, I submit that your "small group" is actually quite large on the west coast. If you live on the west coast and never get upgraded, you won't be too happy. I guess that the real reality is that if you live in a tough market, you could care less about "everbody else's" luck. It's easy to suck it up if you visit a tough market and say "it's tough" but when you base there it gets annoying. I'm about 50/50 this year as a silver on my LA trips. Incidentally, I have as difficult of time upgrading my MKE-HUB trips as I do LAX-HUB.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS 1K, CO PLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG PLAT, Hyatt PLAT
When they operated as ACA for United, they had a little lounge in the A concourse. Originally, it was only marketed/open to those who flew ACA itself quite frequently, without regard to their status on UA. Over time, it also became open to 1K's or something like that.
And it had no internet connections or any amenities - it was like watching a bad TV in a bar that only you went to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.