Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Chapter 11 confirmed for Independence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chapter 11 confirmed for Independence

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
DH's A319 engines don't match the ones on F9's Airbii. Maybe Ted will buy them. RAR!
But they do match the engines of the Spirit 319's. Spirit already picked up the cancelled orders.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by DENPremEx
^ I admire your attitude. The world would be a better place if more people had that outlook. The airline industry, as a whole, would be in a lot better shape if more people had your outlook. I apologize if my initial post seemed aggressive, I am so used to airline emplyees fighting to hold on to salaries/benefits/work rules that, in some cases, are causing the problems to begin with.
Thanks and apology accepted.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
For some unexplained reason, Neeleman ordered 100 EMB-190s which seat about 100 people - the first one just went into service (today?). Apparently he thinks he can buck the conventional wisdom that says a low-cost carrier should stick to a single fleet type to minimize complexity and expense. Then again, he sold Morris Air to WN for a pile of money, so maybe he knows what he is doing.
Remember that B6 has a different business model than WN. B6 makes money flying 156 seat A320s that are over 85% full. WN makes money flying (mostly) 137 seat 737s that are often less than 70% full. Since B6 needs a high load factor for their model, there are a lot of cities that just can't support a 156 seat plane (with reasonable frequency) but will be able to fill a 100 seat plane. Since WN's "typical" 737 is only carrying about 100 pax (profitably), they don't have this problem and don't need a smaller plane.

Of course the second fleet type will increase costs, but it strikes me that B6 will open up markets that it couldn't otherwise serve.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
that is a lot of gate slots being given up when DH goes under. personally, i would like to see UA take over A and get rid of the G concourse. could you see southwest coming into IAD? i mean, that's more than half the gates at the B concourse that would be freed up. interesting for sure.

Certainly a FlyI employee can vouch for this....but I am pretty certain that the A gates/ ramp would only be good for another carrier using 50 seat jets or something smaller. You might be able to fit a few Emb-170's in there, but the 190 seems too big, unless you redesigned the entire thing and cut the number of gates available by a lot.

Remember, the A gates are commuter gates, where you walk on the ramp and climb stairs into the airplane, not full fledged ones with jetways.

I am sure UAL would be interested but anyone else with a large express operation is not going to come into IAD and set up shop using those gates.

In my opinion.

DC
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:53 pm

I have never flown DH, but I just want to wish DH Emplyee and colleagues well in the future. I Hope everything turns out well for you guys.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:30 pm

Programs: United 1K
I second those comments about DH Employee.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:29 am

Talking Service with a smile

Monday I flew MCO -> IAD; from the personnel at the counter to the flight crew, I was ALWAYS meant with a smile. We left on time and arrived 10 mins early... AND my checked baggage arrived at the carosel before I did.... I can't even think of a complaint, or even an improvement... I would really hate to see them go under....
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:20 am

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by greenery
How is Independence Air going to be able to hold on to their staff when it appears likely that in 90 days (or less) they will all be out of work. Without much of a future at their current employer, I would expect many employees will quit, call in sick, stop trying, or delay or cancel flights without much fear.

What do you think?
I agree with the other DH employee that said that most of the employees that are still here are here because they want to be. While I am sure that most DH employees have a "plan B" in the back of their mind, most of us that are left really enjoy who we work for and what we do. When you find that in a job, it is hard to give it up - even when the company is in serious trouble.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:46 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by UALPilotDC
Certainly a FlyI employee can vouch for this....but I am pretty certain that the A gates/ ramp would only be good for another carrier using 50 seat jets or something smaller. You might be able to fit a few Emb-170's in there, but the 190 seems too big, unless you redesigned the entire thing and cut the number of gates available by a lot.

Remember, the A gates are commuter gates, where you walk on the ramp and climb stairs into the airplane, not full fledged ones with jetways.

I am sure UAL would be interested but anyone else with a large express operation is not going to come into IAD and set up shop using those gates.

In my opinion.

DC
Pilot,

Yeah yer right about the A gates. Of the 36 gate current layout, I think you might still have 24 usable gates with E190's. You'd have to stagger the gates and only get two spots per "gate" as opposed to the current three.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'd make other plans, even for the December flights. But maybe mid doesn't mind the very real possibility of trying to fly standby during December if FlyI shuts down. Or the expense of buying full Y walkup fares for those flights. Me - I'd rather plan now and still get some advance purchase fares on an airline like WN, that is guaranteed to still be flying, as opposed to one that hopes to still be flying.
Right. I would not expect to go anywhere on FlyI after January 6 -- that's 60 days from November 7 when the auction is supposed to end. That would be the date I'd bet on for a shutdown.

I'd also say don't count on any investors entering the picture; I'm sure FlyI's been trolling for them for months, and if the company's come up empty to this point, it's even more unlikely that anyone will show up in Ch. 11.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:29 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by SealBeach
Right. I would not expect to go anywhere on FlyI after January 6 -- that's 60 days from November 7 when the auction is supposed to end. That would be the date I'd bet on for a shutdown.

I'd also say don't count on any investors entering the picture; I'm sure FlyI's been trolling for them for months, and if the company's come up empty to this point, it's even more unlikely that anyone will show up in Ch. 11.
Well...I'm not TOO worried about thewm stopping flying before Jan 6. After that, I'd say I'm medium worried.

At any rate, a walkup fare to BOS from IAD won't be ridiculous. Plenty of capacity on that route and I'm willing to bet that I'll get plenty of advance warning that DH won't fly my flights in Jan. Since I only have a couple, the pain won't be TOO bad if it comes to that.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:35 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by mid

At any rate, a walkup fare to BOS from IAD won't be ridiculous.
Presently, the walk up fare BOS-IAD is $199.00 one way
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Presently, the walk up fare BOS-IAD is $199.00 one way
That sounds about right given that the RT corporate discount fares on the DCA-BOS shuttles are in the $425 range. I imagine they're knocking a couple of bucks off to get you to come out to Dulles.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mid
I'm willing to bet that I'll get plenty of advance warning that DH won't fly my flights in Jan.
I assume by advance warning you mean you'll know to book other tickets on Jan 7 if FlyI dies on Jan 6 and you're not flying until Jan 24 or something. I think you're mistaken if you believe FlyI will telegraph what day they plan on pulling the plug; the first people to know will be the ones who show up at the airport and find that "See Agent" is listed on the monitor as the status for all FlyI flights.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by spampurse
While I am sure that most DH employees have a "plan B" in the back of their mind, most of us that are left really enjoy who we work for and what we do.
Let's hope more than a few FlyI employees bury the hatchet or swallow their pride as part of their "plan B" and apply for jobs with the existing UX carriers at IAD. We could sure use some good experienced people out at the G gates who bring a customer-first attitude and some pride in a job well done instead of the current crop of UX couldn't-care-less clockwatchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.