Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Chapter 11 confirmed for Independence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chapter 11 confirmed for Independence

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:51 am

Programs: United 1K
This is tailor made for Jet Blue to take over their routes if Flyi liquidates.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:13 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by spampurse
Remember, this is not a Chapter 7 filing. This is still a chapter 11 filing, with an auction meant to attract investors.... (granted, if no investors are found it could very quickly turn into a chapter 7 type liquidation). If the board really thought that there were no interested investors they could have filed Chapter 7 long ago, but the fact is that any investor interested in DH would have probably been waiting for the Chapter 11 filing so that they didn't have to inherit the high cost structure that has been the killer for DH so far. There is a reason this was Chapter 11 and not 7. As it stands now, DH can dump most or all of their costly CRJs, trim or terminate costly labor agreements, and renegotiate their vendor contracts... if all that happens (which you can bet it is already in the works), DH just might find those investors they need to continue flying. Anyway, the bid for investment will all be wrapped up in 60 days, so by Jan 7 we should know one way or another.
Spampurse,

DH *does not* have any costly labor agreements that will get shed in Ch 11. They already have a pay scale that is representative of a regional airline (IOW, the employees are already paid like crap) and the pilots have no pension. So, no savings there.

The *only* thing that I think will keep them flying (not "save" them, but keep them flying) is the fact that there is an excess of CRJ's in the market, and the lessors may figure it is best just to get what they can from DH as opposed to parking them or trying to put them on the open market. As long as DH pays their fuel bill and the lessors can't dump the planes elsewhere, they will still fly.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:16 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jaguar
This is tailor made for Jet Blue to take over their routes if Flyi liquidates.
Really? I'm not so sure. DH has gutted so much of their route structure that I'm not even sure what's left. You'd think if there was anything worthwhile, that B6 would have already moved in for the kill.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:47 am
Suspended

How is Independence Air going to be able to hold on to their staff when it appears likely that in 90 days (or less) they will all be out of work. Without much of a future at their current employer, I would expect many employees will quit, call in sick, stop trying, or delay or cancel flights without much fear.

What do you think?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by greenery
How is Independence Air going to be able to hold on to their staff when it appears likely that in 90 days (or less) they will all be out of work. Without much of a future at their current employer, I would expect many employees will quit, call in sick, stop trying, or delay or cancel flights without much fear.

What do you think?
I can't speak for everyone in the company but I can speak for myself. We all pretty much new that this was coming! If I were to jump ship I would have awhile ago when I saw the writing on the wall, instead of hanging in there like a lot of other people. We won't go down without a fight!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:13 am

Everything I read blames fuel costs. Hello! DH would have lost money in Q2 if fuel were free.

Can someone get 12 A319s, an operating cert, a FF database, gates and employees cheaper from this 'auction' than after a liquidation?

DH's A319 engines don't match the ones on F9's Airbii. Maybe Ted will buy them. RAR!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cedric
AC/Jazz could be a possibility. As part of their investment in US, they've already agreed that any additional US Express flights to Canada will be flown by Jazz. But if Jazz could start operating as US Exp in the States, I'm sure they'd much rather do that. This would be an easy way in - purchase a US operating certificate and have the CRJs all lined up and ready to go.

But Jazz/AC is a Foreign entity and can not control/fly soley within the US market. They can do all the trans boder flying they want but the can't go getween IAD and LGA for example. THAT WOULD BE CABATOGE. which is illegal.

And the "impending" changes in foreign ownership rules are not going to change in time, if at at all, for FlyI's benefit.

DC
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:14 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DH Employee
We won't go down without a fight!

What are you going to fight for? Are you going to put a gun to the head of some investor and say "you better put money into this company?" The business model isn't broken, it never was a viable business model to begin with!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:24 am
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I think you'll be fine for December but all bets are off for January. I hope you paid with a credit card.
But of course!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
that is a lot of gate slots being given up when DH goes under. personally, i would like to see UA take over A and get rid of the G concourse. could you see southwest coming into IAD? i mean, that's more than half the gates at the B concourse that would be freed up. interesting for sure.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
that is a lot of gate slots being given up when DH goes under. personally, i would like to see UA take over A and get rid of the G concourse. could you see southwest coming into IAD? i mean, that's more than half the gates at the B concourse that would be freed up. interesting for sure.
Unlikely to see Southwest at IAD when they can still grow at BWI. The more likely candidate for growth at IAD is JetBlue. B6 clearly wanted to grow at IAD from the beginning but put those plans on hold after Independence came in and lowered the yields. Once FlyI liquidates, I would expect to see B6 come in with some Embraers to "connect the dots" from IAD.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Why would b6 want embraers? Are they using those somewhere else? I thought their plan had a single plane type
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by DENPremEx
What are you going to fight for? Are you going to put a gun to the head of some investor and say "you better put money into this company?" The business model isn't broken, it never was a viable business model to begin with!
What I meant by my statement of we won't go down without a fight is obvious we can't force somebody to invest in us, but I will continue to give 110% to my job and operate as businnes as usual! I'm going to trya and continue to produce a product that is attractive to our customers and hopefully to investors.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Why would b6 want embraers? Are they using those somewhere else? I thought their plan had a single plane type
For some unexplained reason, Neeleman ordered 100 EMB-190s which seat about 100 people - the first one just went into service (today?). Apparently he thinks he can buck the conventional wisdom that says a low-cost carrier should stick to a single fleet type to minimize complexity and expense. Then again, he sold Morris Air to WN for a pile of money, so maybe he knows what he is doing.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DH Employee
What I meant by my statement of we won't go down without a fight is obvious we can't force somebody to invest in us, but I will continue to give 110% to my job and operate as businnes as usual! I'm going to trya and continue to produce a product that is attractive to our customers and hopefully to investors.

^ I admire your attitude. The world would be a better place if more people had that outlook. The airline industry, as a whole, would be in a lot better shape if more people had your outlook. I apologize if my initial post seemed aggressive, I am so used to airline emplyees fighting to hold on to salaries/benefits/work rules that, in some cases, are causing the problems to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.