Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

Pillows and Blankets on West Coast Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards

I still haven't seen anything about this yet on the website because I believe the program doesn't start until later this week, but in the new "Why FLYi?" inflight brochure and in the employee newsletter they announced that neck pillows and blankets will be sold on west coast flights for $10 each.

Ok, Ok... I was thinking the same thing you guys probably are too... who wants to buy a crappy old airline pillow or blanket for $10? However, here is the deal... the blankets and neck pillows are VERY high quality (I personally have seen the neck pillows and they are very comfortable... probably similar to what you would find at Brookstone in the mall for about 3 times as much) and I am told that the fleece blanket is also of a high quality. Also, when you buy your Blanket or pillow you will receive a coupon for $10 off your next flight on FLYI, so if you plan on traveling on FLY again they pretty much pay for themselves. The other plus side is that they belong to you after you buy them... you don't have to wonder how many other people's drool your pillow has absorbed during its life.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
Originally Posted by spampurse
The other plus side is that they belong to you after you buy them... you don't have to wonder how many other people's drool your pillow has absorbed during its life.
Not to mention the fact that flyI doesn't have pillows or blankets otherwise, so no drool concern is pertinent!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:27 am

This is so great! I usually don't use the pillows and blankets on flights b/c who knows if they get washed before they use them again. I feel like you are asking for a cold or whatever by using those items. That's cool that flyi is doing this. Have they started offering them already?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by chicka12
This is so great! I usually don't use the pillows and blankets on flights b/c who knows if they get washed before they use them again. I feel like you are asking for a cold or whatever by using those items. That's cool that flyi is doing this. Have they started offering them already?
Last word I heard was that there was a hiccup with the supplier that will push the delivery of the new products to middle of the month (late next week hopefully).
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
As long as they can make sure they have supply, I think it's a good idea. Even on the regular airlines I don't usually use them, but I'd probably do it in this case.

Please, oh please, make sure the announcements are out there and available to the people when they book their tickets and when they check in. When "buy food on board" service started, and when the digiplayers first started there were people that got on board and didn't have cash for whatever they wanted. Learn from other people's mistakes and make it available and publicised more.

Even better, if they get kiosks on the west coast then let people charge it right there on their credit card and print out a coupon for them to redeem in-flight for the items. I'm so surprised we haven't seen that more from the kiosks of the mainline carriers for the food purchase.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:53 am

oh that's such a great idea to have it available for purchase when you check in at the kiosk. It's definitely worth it in my opinion and if you buy it once, you'll never have to buy it again. I love it!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:27 am

oh that's such a great idea to have it available for purchase when you check in at the kiosk. It's definitely worth it in my opinion and if you buy it once, you'll never have to buy it again. I love it!
Well the kiosks are under used, you should be able to do the following from a kiosk:
Book future travel
change current reservation (both check in for an earlier flight and modify future reservations)
print coupons for food, digiplayers, pillows, and blankets (maby even a 'movie special' including a digiplayer, blacket and popcorn)
take opinion survays
select units should offer internet for a nominal fee.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 2P, US, B6, CO
It's a great idea and not such a great idea. From the standpoint that you get a "fresh" blanket/pillow, it's great. However, if you spring for the $20 to get both on your outbound flight, you now have to carry them around for the duration of your biz trip/vacation, or toss them out, wasting $20. Most FTs try to pack light b/c carrying extra stuff stinks. Personally, as much as I'm not fond of traditional airline blankets and pillows, I like the idea of being able to use them and then leave them behind on the plane at no cost to me.
It's one less thing for me to carry around with me, and one less thing I have to remember to pack in my carryon for a trip.

Just my $.02.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:07 pm

I think that I'd just buy my own and pack it in my carry-on.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:29 pm

No Neck pillows or coupons...

I took the 11:20pm SFO-IAD last Thursday (8-17)... and was really excited for the pillow and blanket offer advertised on flyi.com. I was very upset to to be told by the flight attendants that "we have no pillows but do have blankets."

So I pay my $10 for the blanket. Im also expecting to receive the $10 coupon mentioned by another poster in this forum... well, I got no coupon either.

I let them know via email about the problem... but FYI, dont get too excited about this deal.

If you want some good advice for this flight, reserve a seat in the back of the plane... you're likely to get 3 seats to yourself for sleeping.

http://www.flyi.com/specials/inflight.aspx
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kbrogie
So I pay my $10 for the blanket. Im also expecting to receive the $10 coupon mentioned by another poster in this forum... well, I got no coupon either.
[/URL]
The coupons are given out by the flight attendents after you buy the item. I have had the flight attendant forget to give me the coupon, but I just asked about it and she gave me one... maybe yours forgot. I imagine they will reply back with a coupon code for you... they aren't stingy with the coupons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.