Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia Business Class recently?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:15 am

I completely agree with AlanW.

The best way to get there is with Iberia in terms of just about everything. Also: Iberia really does put forth a lot of effort to make sure that on these longer flights, the service is top-notch, more so in regards to their premium product.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:47 am

Sounds like IB is the winner. I'll change my booking to go IB all the way instead of AV MAD-BOG.

BTW, AF is supposed to fly A340-300 CDG-BOG, with 2-2-2 configuration. According to seatguru, their seat pitch is similar to IB (61" vs IB's 60"), but seat width is only 21.5" vs. IB's 26". I wonder if there's a misprint on seatguru, as 26" is substantially better than 21.5" (IB uses A340-600 on this route). In any case, I agree that CDG is to be avoided if possible.

I'll give IB a try and will report back on here if there's anything (good or bad) noteworthy.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Let us know how you like it! I think the Seatguru info is incorrect; as far as I know AF only flies 2-3-2.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
I'll be flying IB in biz class MAD-JNB-MAD and was wondering if they really do the pickup service if you are in Madrid? I read on one site that they send cars to pick up all of their business class passengers, true?

I realize they have an option to have dinner before the flight on longer flights, but what are the time limits on that? Our flight leaves at 1:30am, would we still have to show up quite early to enjoy that perk?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 4:31 pm

The limo pickup applies in two cases: either you're on a full-fare (booked in J, not D or I) ticket OR you're IB+ Platinum and traveling on an award redemption in Business Plus. It's not automatic; you have to book it through an IB ticket office.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
so I'm guessing it's a no-go for people in U class on a Biz Award from a Parnter airline? Nuts
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
IB Business Class IST - MAD, Worth it?

Rather than start a new thread for a fairly specific question: Turns out IB is the only airline offering a non-stop Istanbul - Madrid flight in the afternoon (Turkish Airlines has a morning flight). Is it worth the additional €300 to travel in "Preferente"? I know the middle seat is left open, but is the food any better, or is this four-hour flight catered just like an internal Spanish flight, or a MAD - LGW, or MAD - CDG. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:31 am

I have taken the nonstop MAD-CAI in business before and I suspect it's similar. Food is slightly better, I remember three courses and not just one plate, but not 300€ better. I would pay the extra for the guaranteed middle seat block but that's just me. It is standard European business product. My biggest problem with the CAI flights was the awful timing, departing at 2300 and getting back into mad ar 0400h with a four-hour layover till the first BCN flight. In a closed airport.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:06 pm

recent IB J experience

Finally, I did my first IB flights (GVA-MAD-BOG and back) in J last week and thought I'd share my experience and impressions.

Overall, I'd rate IB as a solid 2nd tier airline, definitely below the likes of SQ, CX, LX, NH, as well as even LH, OS, NZ, TG, etc. My flights were on-time, and there were no major problems; but the overall experience paled in comparison to the top airlines.

Seating: Business Plus seats (I flew on both A346 and A343 on the long hauls) were the typical lie-flat seats used on many airlines these days, and they were comfortable enough and certainly competitive with many other carriers.

Service: Pleasant and friendly, but not necessarily warm, caring, anticipatory, hard-working and super-efficient like SQ. The crew seemed to strive to provide average service and nothing more. On the other hand, if you ask for something, they'd try to provide it. They are not lazy and don't give you attitude (or abuse you) as in many US carriers.

Food: This was their weakest link for me. They seem to have a small budget for catering, with limited choices, courses, small portions, and low quality. My veggie meals were all bad (boring, unimaginative, repetitive) - the worst I've had in years across carriers - and the regular meals didn't look so good either. They only have barely drinkable cava, no champagne. The red & white Spanish wines were pretty good, though. They are highlighted as "good value" on the wine menu (you can purchase them for home delivery at less than 10 euros a bottle), underscoring how little they spend on their wines.

PTV: Smallish selection of movies and TV shows of limited appeal to me. Really poor compared to SQ, but not bad compared to others.

Lounges: Both lounges (Velazquez in T4 & Dali in T4S) I tried were nice and spacious. No wifi, but they can loan you a cable. The internet stations were all full at times. Shower room was tiny, and shower heads emitted fine sprays of water. It was OK for me, but if you like a strong shower, you may be disappointed. No hair dryer in the private shower room. (Didn't check if there are hair dryers anywhere else.) Food & drink selection was average in the mornings and I believe improve after 1:30pm, when they provide salads, sandwiches and some hot dishes at the T4 lounge (velazquez).

Others: Amenity kit was pretty good and includes the usual items. No English magazines (on board and at the lounges) and limited English newspapers. They mostly stock Spanish reading materials.

MAD: Decent airport to transit. Bright and airy. Don't know why they call T4 and T4S (Satellite), since T4S is so far away (by shuttle train) that it can hardly be considered a satellite of anything - it exists in its own universe, as far as I'm concerned! Certainly nicer to transfer at MAD than at FRA, but not as nice as at ZRH, for instance.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
So would it be silly of me if I have a choice on a DONEx to choose IB Business over BA CE on MAD-LHR departing in the evening?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:16 am

I've taken that flight (or to BCN) probably 30 times or so, on both carriers and find them to be pretty much interchangeable. I don't care for the food on BA; being from London you may prefer it to the Spanish catering. On BA you run the risk of getting stuck in 3-across seating, which doesn't happen on IB, but the IB lounge is a dump compared to Terraces.

At any rate, I pick according to time, not carrier on that route.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by alanw
On BA you run the risk of getting stuck in 3-across seating,
No you don't, Club Europe has been 2-2 for quite some time now.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:22 am

I guess I've been flying IB more!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:28 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Originally Posted by Juliusgg

Try to book a "good" seat, row 6 on A343 or row 2 DH on 346, these are almost horizontal.
So on the A343, row6 is the bulkhead in the back of business, right?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold / O6 Diamond
Row 1 on the 343 is almost horizontal as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.