Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

9 hour layover in MAD - can I leave the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Wyndham Diamond

Hello folks! I have an upcoming flight EZE-NAP with a 9 hour layover in MAD. I was hoping to be able to leave the airport, just taking my personal item on me. Will IB make me pick up my checked bag and re-check it again? Am I allowed to leave the airport?

My layover time will be about 11am-8pm. I am hoping to grab a meal and a drink (or two). If I were to check into a hotel/lounge/day room for some rest after my meal, any suggestion?

Thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
With 9 hours, your bag can stay checked in. Yes, you can leave the airport. You don't really have that much time - if you abide by the "lunch at 2pm" rule, and have a leisurely lunch, you won't be done before 3:30-4pm, so only have about two hours to kill. I'd probably sit in the Retiro somewhere, or one of the many hotel rooftops.
happychic likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
On one ticket your checked bags will go to NAP (no choice).
You are allowed to leave the airport.

Recommend you take the train to recoletos, walk 5-10min to Mercado Paz to have brunch at Casa Dani then hang around the Salamanca-Retiro area, head back to airport by 4pm and rest at the airport paid lounge (assuming no entry to Iberia lounge), the airport lounge only allows entry 4 hours before departure. If you have entry to Iberia lounge then go straight to lounge to rest first before heading out to Madrid.
happychic likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Recommend you take the train to recoletos, walk 5-10min to Mercado Paz to have brunch at Casa Dani then hang around the Salamanca-Retiro area, head back to airport by 4pm and rest at the airport paid lounge (assuming no entry to Iberia lounge), the airport lounge only allows entry 4 hours before departure. If you have entry to Iberia lounge then go straight to lounge to rest first before heading out to Madrid.
OMG I just showed P2 pics of the raciones from Casa Dani and he is salivating beyond control now. What have you done, and thank you!
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by csycsycsy
On one ticket your checked bags will go to NAP (no choice).
NAP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.