Wiki Posts
Search

Liquids in carry-on MAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Liquids in carry-on MAD

I wonder whether any knows for sure as even the AENA website shows old info. I flew through MAD in December, 2023 and connected from AA to IB thus all was within T4S - T4. When I went through security screening for the intra-Spain IB flight, I noticed people were not taking out liquids or taking cell phones out of their carry-ons. I specifically asked the agent whether I should remove liquids and he said no. Is this now the new norm? Reading on the web, it looks like Europe/UK has the intent to end size limitations and hence the small baggie requirement due to MRI scanners. I ask because I can make a much better connection again between T4S (AA) to T4 (IB) if this is the case. Otherwise, I must check luggage, retrieve, recheck, and I will not make the better connection.
My less desirable connection will take me to T2 and unless there's a horrible delay on my AA flight, I would have time to retrieve and recheck checked luggage.

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Spain is moving towards installing scanners in all their airports to allow liquids and electronics to stay in luggage, and to have more than 100ml in their handluggage. However the roll out isn't complete and I, personally, wouldn't expect it until it's been officially announced.
I'm not sure of the current state of both terminals at MAD. I know PMI has zero so far.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Fast Track at MAD T4 is currently closed / relocated in the Puente Aéreo area. Doubtless this is due to installing the new scanners in the original fast track area.

Last I saw, there are none at T1 either.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:41 am

AENA's plan is to have them installed in MAD, BCN and PMI in 2024 and to expand to other big airports in 2025.

Do not expect much more info until they are fully installed and operational, AENA is not the best in terms of keeping passengers informed. That said, expect a fast roll-out since AENA is interested in have them in operation asap, as they bring lots of improvements.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by BA6501
Fast Track at MAD T4 is currently closed / relocated in the Puente Aéreo area. Doubtless this is due to installing the new scanners in the original fast track area.

Ah, and to add to that, now that I think about it - a few weeks ago when I arrived at T4S, I saw hoarding around part of the flight connections (to T4S) security. Likely getting installed there too.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:19 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS

https://assets.main.pro2.maf.media-s...n_-_vFinal.pdf
slide 17 says Biometrics capability in MAD-BCN, this to mean the Puente Aéreo? What's the pax benefit?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
https://assets.main.pro2.maf.media-s...n_-_vFinal.pdf
slide 17 says Biometrics capability in MAD-BCN, this to mean the Puente Aéreo? What's the pax benefit?
Basically is automated boarding by facial recognition - you register your face and passport / ID during check-in / security and when boarding you do no longer need a boarding pass and ID check, there are gates at the gate that scan your face and let you pass.

https://www.aena.es/es/pasajeros/equ...ropuertos.html
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

You're right - I'd quite forgotten about this and it was only last Saturday. To answer the question - last Saturday and again this morning transferring from T4S to T4 (painless and so efficient) - it was liquids, gels and laptops out as per usual. This is not to say that this may be everyone's experience but it is certainly mine.
marconess likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.