Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

CX-IB MAD transit time (separate ticket) is 1.40mins enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 3:50 am
Original Poster

So i'm looking to fly into Madrid via CX (landing 820AM) and then book a separate ticket on IB to Miami (leaving 10AM).

1. I've had CX interline bags before with no issues on separate tickets- is anyone aware of any new developments with this?
2. Assuming the flight lands on time- it looks line all OW airlines are at terminal 4S- assuming i have my BP for the IB flight- is this enough time to get back airside (i believe i need to still clear customs/immigration before going back airside) and make the second flight?

Flying biz on both legs if that makes a difference (fast pass security?)
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
That's not nearly enough time.

1. It's Oneworld policy to NOT allow through-checking on separate tickets, so if CX say no in HKG you are definitely missing the MIA flight. (even if HKG-MAD arrives early)
2. If you have your Iberia BP already, you won't need to clear immigration. But you would need to follow the flight connections signs and do security again at T4S. Without a BP you would also miss your MIA flight since you wouldn't have enough time to get landside to pick up your BP. (you might find somebody at an IB desk at T4S but you cannot really count on that, or that there wouldn't be a queue)

The only time I would take this risk - knowing that there should be a later flight to MIA - is if I were travelling on a fully flex J ticket where missing the connection wouldn't be a big deal.

P.S. I don't know what date you are flying, but IB's first MAD-MIA flight is usually scheduled for 11.40. It's the AA flight that leaves at 10am.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for getting back to me and you’re right, it’s an aa flight. If I were to not check in bags, and I have a bp then it would be possible (assuming the stars align and there are no delays?)
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jacklee
Thanks for getting back to me and you’re right, it’s an aa flight. If I were to not check in bags, and I have a bp then it would be possible (assuming the stars align and there are no delays?)
If you're desperate to make that flight and it doesn't matter if you miss that flight (two seemingly contradictory statements) then go for it. I don't think there's a single MAD regular who would recommend what you are contemplating.
Deckter likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:05 am
Suspended

The biggest problem is once you land is the time it will take to get to the gate. I have had some horrendous wait times on that CX flight. In 2020 (when I said never again) we actually took 56 minutes to stop at the gate after we did a massive tour all over the airfield. We then had to wait 50 minutes for the bags and missed our connecting flight to ALC, but good thing there is loads of flights so we were on the next one out.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jacklee
If that was the case, it will be more than enough time; since you will only have to re-clear security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.