Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre Check

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

TSA Pre Check

Am I mistaken or does Iberia not participate in Pre Check? It seems ludicrous to me that a supposed "premium airline" doesn't/wouldn't participate in it when even the cheapest of the cheap do. Come on!
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:26 pm

That’s right. For that matter even fellow IAG airline, Aer Lingus, doesn’t participate either.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Am I mistaken or does Iberia not participate in Pre Check? It seems ludicrous to me that a supposed "premium airline" doesn't/wouldn't participate in it when even the cheapest of the cheap do. Come on!

Yikes - looks like based on the TSA list they do not participate. https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

Drat - I did not know this and will be traveling on them in a few weeks. Well at least I know it now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:45 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, I will try to fly AA or connect to get to IB just for pre-check
Old Mar 10, 2023, 5:18 am

Just flew to Lisbon via Madrid from Miami. What a mess! Couldn’t check in online. No one at the ticket counter until 1hr 55 minutes before departure. Then. The long, long TSA lines without TSA Pre check. Even though Biz class, won’t fly Iberia again unless they participate in Pre check.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:36 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Isn't Global Entry (which is available to citizens of select non-US nationalities) and TSA Pre Check some sort of "package"? However, Global Entry is only available to citizens of two EU countries, Germany and Netherlands. So neither Spain nor Ireland (someone mentioned Aer Lingus) are part of that list, which means that the bulk of their passengers don't qualify for Global Entry.
As far as I know, the issue with some of the 25 EU countries not part of Global Entry is privacy concerns regarding the type of personal info on their citizens that US requires to be shared.

Edit: But I do notice that quite a lot of airlines in the "other 25" EU countries are in fact on the list of TSA Pre Check participants.

Last edited by Tomas E; Mar 11, 2023 at 6:53 am Reason: Added relevant info
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Tomas E
Isn't Global Entry (which is available to citizens of select non-US nationalities) and TSA Pre Check some sort of "package"? However, Global Entry is only available to citizens of two EU countries, Germany and Netherlands. So neither Spain nor Ireland (someone mentioned Aer Lingus) are part of that list, which means that the bulk of their passengers don't qualify for Global Entry.
As far as I know, the issue with some of the 25 EU countries not part of Global Entry is privacy concerns regarding the type of personal info on their citizens that US requires to be shared.

Edit: But I do notice that quite a lot of airlines in the "other 25" EU countries are in fact on the list of TSA Pre Check participants.
Yes if you get global entry, you get access to precheck.

However...the airline you're flying has to participate in the program and there's some back-end IT stuff that needs to get done, and I'm sure some security audit. And there are US citizens, and citizens of those other countries (as well as UK which is eligible) that could have use of pre-check. Also lots of people with dual citizenship on US flights who could have access.

The point being it's almost certainly an "IB can't manage IT properly" issue.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Yes if you get global entry, you get access to precheck.

However...the airline you're flying has to participate in the program and there's some back-end IT stuff that needs to get done, and I'm sure some security audit. And there are US citizens, and citizens of those other countries (as well as UK which is eligible) that could have use of pre-check. Also lots of people with dual citizenship on US flights who could have access.

The point being it's almost certainly an "IB can't manage IT properly" issue.
I was perhaps a bit unclear, the "package" I mentioned referred to the airline, things they need to do and pay for. I guess it is a bit of a business decision if an airline wants to accept this cost when only a minority of your passengers could potentially benefit. So my guess is that the cost vs. benefit rather than IT incompetence is the explanation. From a marketing point of view, this might be the wrong decision, though, if this makes a sufficient number of US passengers take their business elsewhere because IB fails to provide a service that is included with many or most other European legacy carriers.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:05 am

Iberia actually asks for known traveler number during check in. Is there any trick to getting TSA Precheck (like reprinting with BA or AA or something)?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikejs11
Iberia actually asks for known traveler number during check in. Is there any trick to getting TSA Precheck (like reprinting with BA or AA or something)?
The airline needs to participate in PreCheck and provide the relevant details. It's not something you can hack with a codeshare.

That said, some people desperate for PreCheck can book a fully refundable (or super cheap throwaway) ticket on a Pre-Check airline to get through security.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:36 am

I thought they only asked for redress number.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Pretty sure that is for Global Entry, which is not carrier specific. My understanding is that all airlines flying to the US need to send arrival info to US Immigration / Border Control. TSA precheck comes with global entry but it is a departure process for the airline not like the international arrival requirements.

Others who are more knowledgeable feel free to correct my errors!
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:39 pm

Have you guys tried adding your Known Traveler ID on the Iberia app? I did it myself, but have not verified if works since my flight is not until June this year.

Directions: open app and select the profile icon (top right corner). Then click on My travel documents, then add document (at the bottom), then type of document. Select Known traveller ID and fill out the form.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
TSA

Originally Posted by dave07
Have you guys tried adding your Known Traveler ID on the Iberia app? I did it myself, but have not verified if works since my flight is not until June this year.

Directions: open app and select the profile icon (top right corner). Then click on My travel documents, then add document (at the bottom), then type of document. Select Known traveller ID and fill out the form.
Yeah I can confirm that you can put in the number in the app, in the right place, but when it comes time to print the BP there is no TSA Precheck designation. I suspect it is only helpful when passing along the info to OW partners that participate.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Yeah I can confirm that you can put in the number in the app, in the right place, but when it comes time to print the BP there is no TSA Precheck designation. I suspect it is only helpful when passing along the info to OW partners that participate.
I believe you also need to have it in for Global Entry. At the very least it can prevent SSSS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.