Search

Baggage questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Baggage questions

Hello,

2 questions:

1) If I book the cheapest Iberia flight with no checked baggage will I get baggage allowance due to OWE even if I book a hand baggage only fare?

2) I am booked on two IB flights, JFK-MAD and MAD-LHR on separate bookings with a few hours between the flights. Can I ask Iberia to check the baggage through from JFK-LHR?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
1. As long as you are flying IB metal booked with an IB code you will get a checked bag due to status. (i.e. not Level, not a BA codeshare, etc.)

2. No through-checking of bags on separate tickets, unless you find a really sympathetic check-in agent willing to go against IB policy.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
1. As long as you are flying IB metal booked with an IB code you will get a checked bag due to status. (i.e. not Level, not a BA codeshare, etc.)

2. No through-checking of bags on separate tickets, unless you find a really sympathetic check-in agent willing to go against IB policy.
2) Understood.

1) So to confirm if I book the IB flight through BA HBO, no checked baggage?

And is it the same rules for IB express? So if I book IB express cheapest fare HBO with no codeshare, do I get baggage?

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
2) Understood.

1) So to confirm if I book the IB flight through BA HBO, no checked baggage?

And is it the same rules for IB express? So if I book IB express cheapest fare HBO with no codeshare, do I get baggage?

Thanks
IB Express is essentially the same as IB mainline, as long as you book with an IB code.

Avoid BA - metal, flight code, etc. - if you want a checked bag. IB marketed and operated only.
LupineChemist likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
IB Express is essentially the same as IB mainline, as long as you book with an IB code.

Avoid BA - metal, flight code, etc. - if you want a checked bag. IB marketed and operated only.
Very unfamiliar with IB Express. If I book them through a cheap Travel Agency is that going to be an IB code ie will I get baggage? Or has to be IB express booked via Iberia?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
If it's an IB code rather than an I2 code, you'll be set.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Similar question, but what if flying domestically from San Sebasitan to BCN? And instead, using Sapphire not Emerald.

If I book using Iberia website, will I get baggage allowance with the cheapest fare? And I assume, I can enter my American Airlines FF number as part of Iberia's checkout flow?

Tks - this is my first time flying Iberia / domestic flight, internationally.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bl393
Similar question, but what if flying domestically from San Sebasitan to BCN? And instead, using Sapphire not Emerald.

If I book using Iberia website, will I get baggage allowance with the cheapest fare? And I assume, I can enter my American Airlines FF number as part of Iberia's checkout flow?

Tks - this is my first time flying Iberia / domestic flight, internationally.
If you are flying EAS-BCN direct, you are flying on Vueling. If you buy an IB codeshare, you would receive 1 checked bag. No AA benefits or miles.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Thx - We read not-so-great reviews about Vueling. So our intention is to fly via Madrid, so it'll be on Iberia metal.

But I am open to the idea of Vueling so as long it's not a troublesome airline.
One that nickle and dimes everything and makes the check-in experience unbearrable / unreliable.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
If I booked with IB Avios on a IB coded by operated by Vueling flight, do I get OW elite benefit?
On the confirmation email, it says I get one checked bag free for the Avios booking. Do I get the second bag free due to OW elite Sapphaire status?
On the Vueling website, it is showing no checked bag allowance.

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinglan
If I booked with IB Avios on a IB coded by operated by Vueling flight, do I get OW elite benefit?
On the confirmation email, it says I get one checked bag free for the Avios booking. Do I get the second bag free due to OW elite Sapphaire status?
On the Vueling website, it is showing no checked bag allowance.

Thanks.
No OW elite benefits on Vueling operated flights.

You get the one free checked bag. Take a print-out of your confirmation to the airport, just in case. But since you should be booked into an IB codeshare, you ought to be ok.
flyinglan likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 8:42 pm

I just booked a Vueling operated flight within Spain with Iberia Avios. Through booking, the Iberia site stated that my ticket included a check-in bag, a carry-on, and seat selection. Since I thought those items were included, I booked with Avios rather than cash. After entering my VY booking reference into their website, it is reminding me that my ticket only includes an under the seat bag and to save money by adding a checked-in bag.

Has anyone encountered this before and been able to successfully check-in a bag and have a carry-on without paying extra? Did you contact Iberia to help with this? If I have to pay for the check-in bag and an overhead carry-on, then the Iberia webpage information is very misleading.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by future elite
I just booked a Vueling operated flight within Spain with Iberia Avios. Through booking, the Iberia site stated that my ticket included a check-in bag, a carry-on, and seat selection. Since I thought those items were included, I booked with Avios rather than cash. After entering my VY booking reference into their website, it is reminding me that my ticket only includes an under the seat bag and to save money by adding a checked-in bag.

Has anyone encountered this before and been able to successfully check-in a bag and have a carry-on without paying extra? Did you contact Iberia to help with this? If I have to pay for the check-in bag and an overhead carry-on, then the Iberia webpage information is very misleading.
If you booked with Iberia Avios, you can definitely check-in one bag.and have a carry-on in the overhead bin. IB+ books you into "Optima". (as well as IB codeshares)

Have you been able to select a seat? That's a clue
Old Sep 17, 2023, 8:25 am

I am only able to pick the "back seats". After trying to select one, it directs me to save money on a checked bag.

How can I tell I have an Optima ticket?
On Vueling, it says:
"Payment details
1 adult
Seats (1 back rows)
Unlimited flight changes"

On my Iberia ticket, the class-fare is S1FF.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by future elite
I am only able to pick the "back seats". After trying to select one, it directs me to save money on a checked bag.

How can I tell I have an Optima ticket?
On Vueling, it says:
"Payment details
1 adult
Seats (1 back rows)
Unlimited flight changes"

On my Iberia ticket, the class-fare is S1FF.
If you can choose a back rows seat for free you have an Optima fare. Anything about luggage is to scare you into buying more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.