Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading on BA marketed IB metal flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Upgrading on BA marketed IB metal flight

I’m flying MAD-JFK on IB that is marketed by BA. Will I have any of the normal upgrade options (bid to upgrade, potential upgrade offer via email) given its marketed by BA and not IB?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
I’m flying MAD-JFK on IB that is marketed by BA. Will I have any of the normal upgrade options (bid to upgrade, potential upgrade offer via email) given its marketed by BA and not IB?
Consider yourself lucky if you can select a seat with a codeshare.

You are very unlikely to receive any upgrade options, because you aren't on an IB ticket...
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You almost certainly wouldn't receive anything pre-flight, but you might be offered an upgrade offer at OLCI (assuming you OLCI via IB).
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
You almost certainly wouldn't receive anything pre-flight, but you might be offered an upgrade offer at OLCI (assuming you OLCI via IB).
Got it and makes sense. Thank you both!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
My experience yesterday …. flew MAD JFK on IB having booked an Avíos ticket on BA website for PE - cost 25,500 and 109 euros. On checking in the night before, I was offered an upgrade to Business for 269 euros, which of course I took !

Before flying, I went back to my account on BA to see if it would show any TP’s/Avios (one can always hope!) and the booking had disappeared & could not be reentered with the booking reference.

When the offer came through there were 5 seats available showing on EF - cabin was full on departure
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmeraldLady
My experience yesterday …. flew MAD JFK on IB having booked an Avíos ticket on BA website for PE - cost 25,500 and 109 euros. On checking in the night before, I was offered an upgrade to Business for 269 euros, which of course I took !

Before flying, I went back to my account on BA to see if it would show any TP’s/Avios (one can always hope!) and the booking had disappeared & could not be reentered with the booking reference.

When the offer came through there were 5 seats available showing on EF - cabin was full on departure
That’s encouraging, thanks! And 269 euros definitely seems reasonable, I would have taken it as well. How was biz on the A330 on IB?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
That’s encouraging, thanks! And 269 euros definitely seems reasonable, I would have taken it as well. How was biz on the A330 on IB?
Overall a good flight, especially the dinner served (I was on the 16.20 flight). Snack 90 mins before landing was just a muffin or plate of fruit.

I was sitting in IG: snacks & drinks are laid out in front of there for people to help themselves - including self pour wines etc so there was a lot of traffic !

WiFi only worked for 30 mins or so which reminds me, they said I can claim a refund for the full flight pass (16 euros) by writing to Customer Services

I should add, immigration at JFK was a disaster - only 2 agents and three plane loads to deal with, IB flight coming in after 2 BA flights.
Youngtraveldude likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmeraldLady

2 points to note.

An award ticket is booked as an IB flight code - not a codeshare...

You never receive extra Avios or Tier Points / Elite Points from a promotional upgrade on IB. So it would be a massive glitch to get anything this time...
EmeraldLady and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.