Wiki Posts
Search

Face Masks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Face Masks

Are face masks still mandatory on flights to/from Spain?!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Iberia Plus
Yes they are.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks. I had no idea, it must be the only country left in Europe that still mandates them on flights. Any idea as to when the Spanish govt might lift the requirement? I just booked flights to the US via MAD in Oct, and I might reroute my itinerary if flying via MAD entails having to wear a mask for a dozen hours in a row.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:24 pm

how can a country like Spain mandate that passengers on a private airline not over their airspace must
where a mask? I realize the obvious answer is that they can do whatever the heck they want and if an airline doesn't want to enforce, they can ban that airline from their country.
But my point is just that it seems like such a dramatic overreach of power.
Everyone on the entire aircraft could be vaxed and double boosted but still all be infected with Covid...so what's the point?..especially leaving the country, that is even more ridiculous.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by London Dude
OK thanks. I had no idea, it must be the only country left in Europe that still mandates them on flights. Any idea as to when the Spanish govt might lift the requirement? I just booked flights to the US via MAD in Oct, and I might reroute my itinerary if flying via MAD entails having to wear a mask for a dozen hours in a row.
Then it's a good thing you don't want to be a doctor or nurse
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I can say that if you're flying from the US on a US airline, it almost certainly won't be enforced. If flying IB it probably will be.

And yeah, it's annoying and lots of people are ignoring the public transport part of the rules at this point on the Madrid Metro but unfortunately there's not a huge push to change anything since it's not that disruptive to life.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I can say that if you're flying from the US on a US airline, it almost certainly won't be enforced. If flying IB it probably will be.
Yes, IB does enforce it, I think they have to because they operate under a Spanish AOC. Can confirm that foreign carriers serving Spain are more lenient.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Yes, IB does enforce it, I think they have to because they operate under a Spanish AOC. Can confirm that foreign carriers serving Spain are more lenient.
Great thanks. I just spoke to a friend in the US who flew Delta to MAD and back a month ago, and he confirmed that Delta did not enforce it on its flights between the US and Spain.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by swiss_global
well, I'm flying IB, will test how strictly they enforce because my mouth and nose will not be covered for 7 hours, one way or another.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I fly IB quite frequently and they tend to enforce it far more on the short hauls and in Y. If you are in J long-haul then they serve pre-departure Cava then drinks reasonably quickly into the flight and then the meal and I just keep my mask off during all that time and just sip my drink slowly. Nothing has ever been said, even in the depths of the pandemic. Then when the lights go out for the bulk of the flight and the crew disappear, again you can lie down and take off the mask. And then the second meal. So in reality most of the time you're not wearing the mask. Just put it on when you get on the plane and if you get up to go to use the washroom and have it lingering around your neck and you'll be fine.
London Dude and feysul like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
well, I'm flying IB, will test how strictly they enforce because my mouth and nose will not be covered for 7 hours, one way or another.
Wearing a mask on the flight is the law right now. If you do not want to do it, don't fly IB.
alanw, embarcadero1 and junoooon like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Wearing a mask on the flight is the law right now. If you do not want to do it, don't fly IB.
ok, sure...who's law? Until I'm in Spain's airspace, they don't have any jurisdiction over me.
A mask will be on my head, but won't be covering my nose and mouth, I like to breath.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:47 am
Original Poster

This is a very odd comment. Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past two years would be aware that the US, UK, Italy, France, Germany and the rest of the EU's countries mandated by law that masks be worn on all flights to/from their countries. People have been walked off aircraft in handcuffs for refusing to wear masks on board, and back in January an AA flight from MIA to LHR was forced to turn back to MIA so that a first-class passenger who refused to wear a mask could be booted off the aircraft. Spain is the only country that hasn't lifted the requirement yet, but most countries still had it in place as recently as May 2022.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: Executive Club
Surely the merits of wearing or not wearing a mask has been done to death on many many threads on this forum. The OP asked how strict Iberia was in enforcing the policy. Not whether or not one should wear a mask at all.
London Dude and psusaver like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by London Dude
This is a very odd comment. Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past two years would be aware that the US, UK, Italy, France, Germany and the rest of the EU's countries mandated by law that masks be worn on all flights to/from their countries. People have been walked off aircraft in handcuffs for refusing to wear masks on board, and back in January an AA flight from MIA to LHR was forced to turn back to MIA so that a first-class passenger who refused to wear a mask could be booted off the aircraft. Spain is the only country that hasn't lifted the requirement yet, but most countries still had it in place as recently as May 2022.
It's odd that a country 3,000 miles away can mandate that I must wear a mask. Sure, IB can and that's fine. Sorry, just venting a bit at Spain being so ridiculous..still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.