Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Free XL (extra legroom) seat on a Blue Avios fare? Will seat assignment hold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I have a Blue fare using Avios for a party of 3 including a 2 year old. Flight is SFO-BCN on A330-200.

The website allowed me to choose XL (extra legroom) seats in the first rom of coach, row 4, for no charge. I have three questions:

1. Is this an exit row even though it's not marked as such on the seat map? Row 7 is marked as exit row on their map, which does not agree with seatguru's map.

2. If the child is allowed there, will the seat assignment hold? I seem to recall from my last experience with Blue fares over 10 years ago that I assigned exit row seats but they were changed some time between then and 48 hours before the flight when I re-checked them. If the assignment is not going to hold I will make a different choice.

3. Will ANY seat assignment hold for a Blue fare?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seatguru and others have been out of date for years
Best to look at IB direct or Aerolopa produced by a BA moderator
https://www.aerolopa.com/ib_airbus-a330
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:11 pm

My experience going on a LEVEL flight on Avios in 2019 was not to count on getting the seats one selected. In their Premium Economy, we booked row 1 and were looking forward to it, only to find at check-in that we were put in row 2. As I understand it, paying pax could pay to get row 1 seats and displace us, and people on awards didn't have a way to pay to assure those seats, as we tried to do on our return (leaving aside the return being delayed by two days by a strike). Not quite the same situation as yours, I know.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You are flying with LEVEL of course, where completely different rules apply to normal IB / Oneworld ones.

I believe that LEVEL and Vueling award flights book into Optima fare class. (which in the case of LEVEL doesn't include seat selection until OLCI)

I would NOT expect your seat selection to stick, and especially not an XL seat.
nsx likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Interesting question. I'm in the same situation and just selected Row 4 as well for my family. I wonder if being Oneworld Sapphire will affect this? When is your flight?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by araknis
Interesting question. I'm in the same situation and just selected Row 4 as well for my family. I wonder if being Oneworld Sapphire will affect this? When is your flight?
There is zero chance that Oneworld status makes any difference on LEVEL.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:00 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
September. Please report your results in time for me to change seat assignments.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:22 pm

All these posts are making me worried. Which seats CAN I pick to make sure it sticks then? Seems like every seat is "special" except for the ones in the back of the plane!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by nsx
September. Please report your results in time for me to change seat assignments.
Just took the flight and all my seats remained in row 4. It was a HUGE difference (bulk head + "mini cabin") versus the standard economy seat. I would have paid the extra fee if I had the option.
nsx, LupineChemist, anngi and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:04 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just took the flight and all my seats remained in row 4. It was a HUGE difference (bulk head + "mini cabin") versus the standard economy seat. I would have paid the extra fee if I had the option.
I wish I could double-like your post!
araknis likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:16 pm

FYI

nsx and Seanish like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Deleted

Last edited by London Dude; Oct 1, 2022 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
How was the Level flight?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by anngi
How was the Level flight?
It was delayed almost 3 hours (updates given every 30-45 mins) and the gate was located at the end of the terminal which did not have A/C. Actual flight was better than I thought. They provided free water (poured in a cup) during and in-between meal service (you can pay 2 euro for a bottle). Food was decent as well. Better than what I usually get on LAX-LHR flights (AA/BA). Being in the mini cabin in a XL seat really made the flight much more enjoyable. Definitely try to avoid the rows near the lavatory in the rear of the plane. I'm not sure if the plane had fewer bathrooms or if it was due to a full flight, but there was always a line for the bathroom.
anngi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:56 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My row 4 seat assignments also held. Excellent trip. This is a great benefit for Avios bookings.

I almost want to collect more Avios now. Nah, just kidding. I'm done with Avios until the other airlines devalue a lot more. It took me over 10 years to use the Avios I had at reasonable value. Those Avios were the leftovers after I spent most of my BAEC miles on a transpacific trip before the big devaluation and switch to Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.