Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

IB award seats shown on AA but AA cannot be booked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB award seats shown on AA but AA cannot be booked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregillinois
Tried for a week to get from DFW or ORD to MAD using AA miles on IB. Great 57,000 saver awards thru DFW BUT any atempt to book any award in Sept or Oct says it will not go thru. AA rep checked with reservatiions and she said "yep- phantom flights" - big help. Any thoughtss to get to MAD without British flights in light of IB awards going dark? Gracias
If you have BA avios you can book the AA called "Phantom" award on BA site. The surcharge is the same at least from the attempts I tried as reported earlier on this thread.

Personally if BA shows the same as IB, I would book with BA at a heart beat. Dealing with BA while still a pain, is much less painful than dealing with IB. In the past BA charges a lot more YQ than IB but it is confirmed upthread by myself and another poster, at this moment it is identical. We of course do not know if this is a real change (for better), or just a system glitch!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bumping this thread.

Can someone confirm BA still charges the same $ as IB on IB flights booked with BA Avios? i.e. BA no longer charges a much higher surcharge when booking IB flights thru BA?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Bumping this thread.

Can someone confirm BA still charges the same $ as IB on IB flights booked with BA Avios? i.e. BA no longer charges a much higher surcharge when booking IB flights thru BA?
As of 3 weeks ago yes, surcharges more or less matched (slight discrepency prob due to exchange rates?)
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jnoono
As of 3 weeks ago yes, surcharges more or less matched (slight discrepency prob due to exchange rates?)
Yes. BA makes you pay the taxes and surcharges in the currency of your account. IB+ lets you choose to pay in any major currency. (euros gets you the lowest cancellation fee)
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I got an update from Award Wallet today talking about the exact same subject.

https://awardwallet.com/blog/british...tyn=nszy92193k

Quietly and without any announcement, British Airways cut the high fuel surcharges it used to charge for awards on Iberia flights. The new charges align with the more modest fuel surcharges that Iberia levies on its own awards!

Hopefully eventually BA will do the same with QR flights.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I'm hoping we're going to me moving to a common back-end for all avios programs. I have to imagine it would be quite a cost saver to basically have a Flying Blue style multi-airline program. Even if they keep it separate nominally on the front end. (The free parking at MAD is an amazing benefit)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.