Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Award Automatically Pricing “Avios & Money”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Im experiencing a very frustrating problem in which there is award space at the off-peak pricing, but the website automatically prices at the “Avios & Money” options. And I can’t get it to price at the normal level. For example even when I try to book a simpler one way non-stop booking of MAD-JFK, the 34,000 shows in large print next to the flight info. However, the payment options are fixed on the “Avios & Money”, which I can’t seem to deselect.

I tried a different browser to the same result. And I have enough miles in the account, as I just transferred them from Chase today.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Which are the Avios levels you ARE able to book?

I would assume that IB+ thinks you have fewer Avios than you think you have. Possibly a glitch regarding the new Avios transferred in.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Im experiencing a very frustrating problem in which there is award space at the off-peak pricing, but the website automatically prices at the “Avios & Money” options. And I can’t get it to price at the normal level. For example even when I try to book a simpler one way non-stop booking of MAD-JFK, the 34,000 shows in large print next to the flight info. However, the payment options are fixed on the “Avios & Money”, which I can’t seem to deselect.

I tried a different browser to the same result. And I have enough miles in the account, as I just transferred them from Chase today.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
I too encountered the same, and hope someone could confirm. I transferred miles from BA, and they were in the IB account for a month before purchasing. Given the issues trying to connect with someone in the IB call center, I caved and purchased at the higher Avios + Money rate (50,000). These were the last two seats available on my travel date, and figured I better grab them.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Which are the Avios levels you ARE able to book?

I would assume that IB+ thinks you have fewer Avios than you think you have. Possibly a glitch regarding the new Avios transferred in.
This is what I'm seeing. This is just a simplified dummy booking as my real itinerary will be for 2 people and connecting in Madrid. And it doesn't matter if I try economy or business. Tried 3 browsers also. I called Iberia to book, but the rep wasn't very accommodating as he claimed he needed to enter in all passenger info manually before he can view the total number of points that the booking would cost. In the end, he hung up on me because the passenger wasn't previously added as a beneficiary, when I asked him if I can add it during the call.

Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You are booking a peak date that is incorrectly showing as off-peak in the initial search. The 50k pricing is correct.

A glitch, but nothing to do with Avios & Money.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

You are booking a peak date that is incorrectly showing as off-peak in the initial search. The 50k pricing is correct.

A glitch, but nothing to do with Avios & Money.
Thanks for the explanation. I wish I knew of that glitch beforehand, as I wouldn't have transferred the points from chase. I researched Iberia awards extensively on the typical miles/points blogs and I never saw this mentioned.
CoHiba Gent likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, whatever the Points Guy writes is designed to get you to sign up for a new credit card - accuracy or the full picture isn't as lucrative for them.

But if it's any consolation, 50k is still a bargain. I don't think there are any other Chase partners that would get you to Europe in Business Class for less.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

First of all, whatever the Points Guy writes is designed to get you to sign up for a new credit card - accuracy or the full picture isn't as lucrative for them.

But if it's any consolation, 50k is still a bargain. I don't think there are any other Chase partners that would get you to Europe in Business Class for less.
yeah. There is a 30% transfer bônus going on right now, so even better. I snagged (2) TRN-MAD-JFK for 133,000 avios, which was 102,000 Chase Points before the bonus. But if I had known the MAD-JFK portion wasn’t 34,000, I would have transferred 125,000 to Emirates for (2) MXP-JFK (their 5th freedom flight TATL)

Last edited by Flamenguista; Aug 31, 2021 at 5:51 pm
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
At this point, and after seeing what was happening with the website misleading us on the lowest avios price, I went ahead and gamble it by booking a non peek award and will just wait for a schedule change to move it to my desire dates. I did that last year after they launched the half AVIOS promo for winter, and ended up pushing it until the peak summer season on the MIA-MAD-MIA route.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:00 pm

dealing with this exact same thing(!) glad I'm not going crazy...

any reason to believe Iberia call center will honor 42,500 if I bat my eyelashes?

Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011

any reason to believe Iberia call center will honor 42,500 if I bat my eyelashes?
Not a snowball's chance in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.