Iberia Plus Gold from OW premium fares

Old Jan 20, 20, 3:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Iberia Plus Gold from OW premium fares

It's that time of year again when I need to think about renewing IB Gold. I mainly flew *A last year so need about 2100 elite points before March 31st. Would like to hold on to Gold if possible.

One suggestion I saw over on the AA thread was CX to JNB out of ORD in PE for $2000 but that only gets you 1600 elite points.

Any ideas on good itineraries for a good value elite point run to get 2100 elite points in one go, starting point in North America (preferably East Coast)?

Thanks.
flyercity is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:24 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,784
You shouldn't bother.

IB Gold requires 2250 Elite Points, so you should wait until 1 April and then do 2250 EPs. You'd then have Gold status for the rest of the year and all of the following.

If you do 2100 now, you'd just get status until 2021.

You may also find that BA Silver is easier to get than IB+, as along as 4 flights on BA/IB isn't an issue.
flyercity likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Posts: 607
BA Silver is easier, as long as you don't fly Premium Economy. Iberia Plus is way more generous with Premium Economy fares.

As craigthemif suggests, don't waste your time now. If you want IbPlus Oro, do a quick Elite Points run AFTER April the 1st. Your Oro status will then be valid until 31 march 2022. If you do it before, will only be valid until march 2021.

Anyway, if you don't fly oneworld, it seems pointless to have oneworld status, unless you like to collect status.
more4less likes this.
tobsw is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:28 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
BA Silver is easier, as long as you don't fly Premium Economy. Iberia Plus is way more generous with Premium Economy fares.

As craigthemif suggests, don't waste your time now. If you want IbPlus Oro, do a quick Elite Points run AFTER April the 1st. Your Oro status will then be valid until 31 march 2022. If you do it before, will only be valid until march 2021.

Anyway, if you don't fly oneworld, it seems pointless to have oneworld status, unless you like to collect status.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Doing it after Apr 1 makes a lot of sense. I suppose the only thing you miss out on is lounge access during the elite points run. Do you know how long it takes to get Gold status back once the trip is complete? I.e. how long does is take Iberia to reinstate the status?

Btw, reason I would like to hold on to Iberia status is because of United changing its rules which means that I will probably give up *A Gold this year after 20 years.
flyercity is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:35 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,976
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
BA Silver is easier, as long as you don't fly Premium Economy. Iberia Plus is way more generous with Premium Economy fares.
Do you have a link to the current IB Plus points-earning chart for oneworld carriers? The only one I've seen makes no mention of Premium Economy, only First, Business, "Full Economy," and "Discount Economy." Thanks!
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 1,311
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you have a link to the current IB Plus points-earning chart for oneworld carriers? The only one I've seen makes no mention of Premium Economy, only First, Business, "Full Economy," and "Discount Economy." Thanks!
This question has come up recently. If you go to Earn Elite Points and open the general table you are right that PE does not appear.

You should instead go to Get Avios and open the detailed tables for each partner. Below the Avios earning table you will see abother one with the Elite Points, including Premium Economy.

https://www.iberia.com/be/iberiaplus/partners/flights/
Yllanes is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:54 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you have a link to the current IB Plus points-earning chart for oneworld carriers? The only one I've seen makes no mention of Premium Economy, only First, Business, "Full Economy," and "Discount Economy." Thanks!
Premium economy counts as full economy. But to be sure, you need to go to the page for a particular carrier and it will tell you the points for particular booking classes. Say, this one is for AA, just click See Avios table:
https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus...ican_airlines/
flyercity is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:56 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 1,311
Originally Posted by flyercity View Post
Premium economy counts as full economy. But to be sure, you need to go to the page for a particular carrier and it will tell you the points for particular booking classes. Say, this one is for AA, just click See Avios table:
https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus...ican_airlines/
You get the same Avios (100%), but more Elite Points for diacounted Premium Economy than for Full Economy (425 and 350, respectively, for a transatlantic flight).
Yllanes is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:59 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You shouldn't bother.

IB Gold requires 2250 Elite Points, so you should wait until 1 April and then do 2250 EPs. You'd then have Gold status for the rest of the year and all of the following.

If you do 2100 now, you'd just get status until 2021.

You may also find that BA Silver is easier to get than IB+, as along as 4 flights on BA/IB isn't an issue.
Thanks, much appreciated. That seems to be the way to go, just concerned that it will take a while to update IB status after the tier point run is completed.
flyercity is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Posts: 607
Comparatively, you only get 500 Elite Points on Business... (transatlantic flight)

Last edited by tobsw; Jan 21, 20 at 11:23 am
tobsw is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:16 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
You get the same Avios (100%), but more Elite Points for diacounted Premium Economy than for Full Economy (425 and 350, respectively, for a transatlantic flight).
Yes, you're right. So a $2000 RT from ORD-HKG-JNB in PE gets you to 2000 (out of 2250 for Gold) IB tier points, whereas you'd earn 400 (out of 600 required) on BA.
flyercity is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:22 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by flyercity View Post
Yes, you're right. So a $2000 RT from ORD-HKG-JNB in PE gets you to 2000 (out of 2250 for Gold) IB tier points, whereas you'd earn 400 (out of 600 required) on BA.
Thats correct.
tobsw is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:14 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 394
IB+ is very very generous in terms of status for Premium Economy.

A simple Europe-MAD-NYC/BOS in E+ will almost give you IB+ Silver (425 + 425 + potentially 2*75 depending from where is the connecting flight). If the short-haul portion gets booked into full economy you get 1150 Elite points just from a single E+ round trip.

Also cheap reduced business class from "Europe III" are a good investment. You can get MAD-ZUR/GVA for less than 300€ rt in J, and that will give you 450 Elite Points. Make 5 of them and you get IB+ gold for less than 1500€, and no need to do long-haul.
schrodingerdog is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:28 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Posts: 607
Thats true, but only on IB metal, because the chart is extremely generous on Europe III region. For instance, a J flight MAD-FRA operated by Iberia yields 450 Elite Points (return). But a J flight, same route, operated by LATAM, you only get 230 Elite Points.

And if you leave in the Canary Islands you can get IbPlus Oro with just an investment of 200-250 EUR per year (asuming you do the run in april-may). Only if you live there, it doesnt work if you are a foreigner non-resident.
flyercity and ubiest like this.

Last edited by tobsw; Jan 21, 20 at 1:45 pm
tobsw is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:14 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 394
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
Thats true, but only on IB metal, because the chart is extremely generous on Europe III region. For instance, a J flight MAD-FRA operated by Iberia yields 450 Elite Points (return). But a J flight, same route, operated by LATAM, you only get 230 Elite Points.

And if you leave in the Canary Islands you can get IbPlus Oro with just an investment of 200-250 EUR per year (asuming you do the run in april-may). Only if you live there, it doesnt work if you are a foreigner.
Yes, indeed, it only works for IB metal. But you can get very very good deals.

And the "Canary Islands deal*" it does actually work for EU/EEA citizens too, if you are resident there.
schrodingerdog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread