Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia Op-Ups

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, IB ORO, HH Diamond
Iberia Op-Ups

I do approx 100k miles per year with OW (mostly IB) and SA (mostly LX) I've been an Iberia Oro (OW sapphire) for the last 4 years and I have never ever been upgraded to business. Not even once. Zero. In the same time, as a LH FTQV I've been upgraded 3 times to business and 1 to first in LH and LX.

In a few months I will do an overseas trip in economy (full fare) Europe to Latam, and I was hoping for an op-up. By then, I will be LH Senator and Iberia Platinum (OW Emerald). Where would you say I have more chances, with IB or with LH?

Thanks a lot
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: QF WP
I’m 1/7 with IB, 2/200+ with BA and 0/200+ QF. So on the strength of that, “better than your chances with other OW carriers” but I don’t think it works like that 😂

(eta: OWR for 1st BA op up, OWS for IB/2nd BA, various statuses with QF but now OWE)
asrmco likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by asrmco
I do approx 100k miles per year with OW (mostly IB) and SA (mostly LX) I've been an Iberia Oro (OW sapphire) for the last 4 years and I have never ever been upgraded to business. Not even once. Zero. In the same time, as a LH FTQV I've been upgraded 3 times to business and 1 to first in LH and LX.

In a few months I will do an overseas trip in economy (full fare) Europe to Latam, and I was hoping for an op-up. By then, I will be LH Senator and Iberia Platinum (OW Emerald). Where would you say I have more chances, with IB or with LH?

Thanks a lot
If you go in with this expectation, prepare to be disappointed. The old FT rule applies: buy the cabin you want to sit in and be pleasantly surprised if you get an op-up. Do not expect anything above what you paid for. IB also tries to monetize their upgrades rather than handing them out for free. The only anecdotal evidence now is by looking at the load that will probably wildly change between now and your travel date.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hoping for an op-up won't work with IB. Maybe if you book the last PE seat months in advance and they manage to oversell the cabin.

No op-ups without an oversold Y and/or PE cabin with any IAG airline. It doesn't really happen that often...

As others have mentioned, pay for the cabin you wish to fly in or use Avios to guarantee the upgrade. Anything else is a pleasant surprise. If you enjoy the mental exercise of "increasing your chances" then have fun but it's like researching the lottery numbers...
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I've been upgraded zero times out of I don't know how many hundreds of IB flights, always with some kind of status. They're auctioning off those business class seats now so it's very unlikely they'll give them out for free.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:53 am

IB sells very proactively upgrades to Business Class (and to Premium Economy in long haul flights). It is much more likely that they will oversold Business than Economy
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I was upgraded once with IB from Y to J on a short haul intra-EU flight. I had placed a flight redemption on avios last minute i.e. the day before. I reckon that the Y cabin was full that day.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
About 5 years , i got six upgrades on eight flights from EZE - mad or vcie versa . I wa Iberia Gold at the time.

More recently nothing ....

I tend to plan ahead and purchase Premium Economy , which I am more or less happy with.

A few years ago , I suspected that the flights were oversold . Now , demand is down and will continue to be down with the Latam economy still being in the doldrums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.