Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

MAD T4-T4S connection timings - which flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

I grabbed a MAD-SCL Avios reward but now need to book a flight to MAD from LHR to take it. The SCL flight leaves T4S at 23.55pm. IB flights from LHR arrive into MAD T4 at 20.35, 22.10 & 22.20, and there is a BA flight arriving 20.05 into T4S. I have a UK passport and will be hand bagage only. I am familiar with MAD airport. Arriving 20.35 for a 23.55 flight leaves plenty of time (almost too much!) so I was thinking to book the 22.10 arrival but realistically that's going to leave me about an hour until my 23.55 SCL flight boards. IBs website lists the MCT at 55 mins IB-IB, but then also lists Schengen to Europe as 20-30 mins?

As this connecting flight will not be on the same PNR, what option would you take? I'd also be keen to hear how long the connection takes if you've done it recently?

I think I should take the 20.35 to be safe but thought i'd ask incase any of you here say otherwise
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
If everything works out fine any flight should do.

The main problem is being on 2 tickets IB/BA will not protect you if the incoming LHR flight is delayed or cancelled causing you to miss your MAD-SCL flight.

You would also need to check in online and have a boarding pass to use flight connections

The earlier you arrive in MAD gives you more room for comfort in case of delays.

Due to the potential cost of missing the SCL flight, I would come down earlier in the day and with sufficient time enjoy MAD but would choose the BA flight arriving at 2005 as it comes into T4S where the SCL flight will leave.

The IB lounge in T4S is very nice

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 15, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
One of those 10pm arrivals actually goes into T4S. The IB3167.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I NEVER risk an expensive long-haul flight without a minimum of 6 hours on separate tickets, preferably overnight.

A strike, weather, IT meltdown, climate protest, whatever... and you are spending your holiday in MAD.

The question is never about how many hours you are willing to be bored in a VIP lounge at the airport (because all has gone to schedule) but how much $$$ you are willing to risk that % of the time when it goes wrong ...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I booked the 20.35 to be safe. The IB3167 is listed as arriving at T4, though I wouldnt be surprised to see it go into T4S, I just think its a little too short a connection for me if it doesnt. I've realistically got 3 hours from an on time arrival to boarding which i'm happy with.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
IB3167 is operated on an A340, so it always goes to T4S. The advantage of booking the BA464 flight is that you have the 3167 as a fallback if that one were cancelled. As long as you understand the risks.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In any case, there's an agent at the mid-point of the jetbridge if you do arrive into T4, who will guide you onto a bus and take you straight to T4S departures (skipping immigration twice, security, and the train).
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
In any case, there's an agent at the mid-point of the jetbridge if you do arrive into T4, who will guide you onto a bus and take you straight to T4S departures (skipping immigration twice, security, and the train).
Is that something I can use regardless? If i present myself to the agent and explain that we are connecting at T4S?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they take your word for it. Not much to explain, they'll be shouting Tránsito América/Asia/...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.